Festina Brewing??

B. Lafferty

Guest
Perhaps rider health profiles should be extended to all rider, not just the French based teams. Or
just let them dope with peoper provisions. It's all probably just malcontents and no-hopers.

http://www.procycling.com/news_main.asp?newsId=4917 French Federation’s doctor warns of EPO use

French paper Le Monde has printed extracts of a letter written by Armand Mégret, the doctor of the
French Cycling Federation (FFC), and sent to FFC president Jean Pitallier and Professional Cycling
League president (LCP) Thierry Cazeneuve in which Mégret warns of an apparent increase in EPO use
among professional and amateur riders in France. [snip]

Mégret bases his concerns on medical tests undertaken at three different points of last season on a
group of 700 French or foreign riders based in French teams. In particular, Mégret highlights the
increase during the season in the number of riders whose tests showed the presence of reticulocytes
(immature red blood cells). Among the pros, Mégret writes, "the numbers pass from 1.8% when the
first test was done in 2003 to 29.2% when the third was done." That third test was done on June 28,
just before the French road championships and a week before the start of the Tour de France.

"It is clear that there was some external stimulation of the production of red blood cells among
29.2% of the 154 riders tested," Mégret says, adding: "The hypothesis that stimulation has been via
EPO must be considered." Mégret also states that the abnormal level of ferritin, a protein that
stores iron in the body, in 30% of riders tested indicates use of EPO. Chillingly, he explains that
an excess of iron can lead to liver problems, including cancer.

Mégret also indicates in his letter that 6-7% of riders tested show signs of damage to the adrenal
gland and in 90% of cases this is due to "taking corticoids in either a licit or an illicit
fashion." This type of damage, says Mégret even more chillingly, could lead to death at any time.

In a slightly horrible way this should demonstrate to you that drug use is NOT universal in the pro
peloton Brian.

> Perhaps rider health profiles should be extended to all rider, not just
the
> French based teams. Or just let them dope with peoper provisions. It's
all
> probably just malcontents and no-hopers.
>

> http://www.procycling.com/news_main.asp?newsId=4917 French Federation's doctor warns of EPO use
>
> French paper Le Monde has printed extracts of a letter written by Armand Mégret, the doctor of
> the French Cycling Federation (FFC), and sent to FFC president Jean Pitallier and Professional
> Cycling League president (LCP) Thierry Cazeneuve in which Mégret warns of an apparent increase in
> EPO use among professional and amateur riders in France. [snip]
>
> Mégret bases his concerns on medical tests undertaken at three different points of last season on
> a group of 700 French or foreign riders based in French teams. In particular, Mégret highlights
> the increase during the season in the number of riders whose tests showed the presence of
> reticulocytes (immature red blood cells). Among the pros, Mégret writes, "the numbers pass from
> 1.8% when the first test was done in 2003 to 29.2% when the third was done." That third test was
> done on June 28, just before the French road championships and a week before the start of the Tour
> de France.
>
> "It is clear that there was some external stimulation of the production of red blood cells among
> 29.2% of the 154 riders tested," Mégret says,
adding:
> "The hypothesis that stimulation has been via EPO must be considered." Mégret also states that the
> abnormal level of ferritin, a protein that stores iron in the body, in 30% of riders tested
> indicates use of EPO. Chillingly, he explains that an excess of iron can lead to liver problems,
> including cancer.
>
> Mégret also indicates in his letter that 6-7% of riders tested show signs
of
> damage to the adrenal gland and in 90% of cases this is due to "taking corticoids in either a
> licit or an illicit fashion." This type of damage, says Mégret even more chillingly, could lead to
> death at any time. ............

Dearest Tom,

I've never said that drug use was "universal" in the peloton. That's your polemic nature coming
to the fore. But, 30% probable for just one drug, EPO is hardly insignificant. I 'd be
interested to know the extent of cross-over between the EPO and corticoid indicators. And which
drugs being used, such as HgH, might not be picked up by the health profiling?

B. Lafferty wrote:
> Dearest Tom,
>
> I've never said that drug use was "universal" in the peloton. That's your polemic nature
> coming to the fore. But, 30% probable for just one drug, EPO is hardly insignificant. I 'd be
> interested to know the extent of cross-over between the EPO and corticoid indicators. And
> which drugs being used, such as HgH, might not be picked up by the health profiling?

Clearly it's a big number. But it's at the low end of what one'd believe by the rumors. If you
profiled athletes in US Football leagues for androgen use, I suggest the number would be much
higher. For US sports, though, drugs really aren't a big issue, even if G. "43" W. B. is on the
problem even as we speak.

Dan

Dan Connelly wrote:

> if G. "43" W. B. is on the problem even as we speak.

What's 43?

Jay Hill wrote:
> Dan Connelly wrote:
>
>> if G. "43" W. B. is on the problem even as we speak.
>

> What's 43?

As opposed to G. "1" W., etc.

In article <[email protected]>,
Jay Hill <[email protected]> wrote:

> Dan Connelly wrote:
>
> > if G. "43" W. B. is on the problem even as we speak.
>
> What's 43?

Richard Petty's number, but that's a different subject. GW Bush = 43 (43rd president) vs. GHW
Bush (aka Bush 41).

http://www.mnftiu.cc/mnftiu.cc/war31.html

--
tanx, Howard

"We're not laughing -at- you, we're laughing -with- you..) "But... I'm not
laughing???" Happiness

remove YOUR SHOES to reply, ok?

On Fri, 13 Feb 2004 04:34:31 GMT, Howard Kveck wrote:
> Jay Hill <[email protected]> wrote:
>> What's 43?
>
> Richard Petty's number

It is however not a "curious or interesting" number.