General fitness, health and nutrition · Public discussion

Feta Cheese?

Started by OmManiPadmeOmelet · · Last activity · 98 posts · 2,580 views

Thread navigation

Jump through the discussion

Go to the original post, the replies on this page, or the latest preserved contribution.

Thread details

What we know about this thread

Original section
General fitness, health and nutrition
Published
20 August 2005
Last activity
26 August 2005
Original author
OmManiPadmeOmelet
Posts
98
Discussion status
Public discussion
Total views
2,580
Views / 30 days
0

The navigation and discussion metadata provide context. Posts remain in their original chronological order.

Showing posts 41–60 of 98
Posts remain in their original chronological order.

Text size
  1. "OmManiPadmeOmelet" <[email hidden]> wrote in message
    news:[email hidden]...
    ....

    Quoted message said:
    Quoted message said:
    Quoted message said:

    When I have leftover roast lamb, I'll warm it up and warm up a flour
    tortilla (I use whole wheat, but you could use low-carb), and wrap the
    tortilla around chunks of lamb, feta, and maybe some herbs like fresh
    parsley. YUM!


    Mmmmm! Sounds absolutely yummy, Priscilla. I think I'm gonna wonder on
    down to the market and take my chances with "mad lamb disease"...(:-o)!


    ....

    Quoted message said:

    On the rare occasion that we go out to eat, I prefer to go to "outback"
    and order their rack of lamb...... OH my gods! It's pure heaven! They


    ....

    Quoted message said:

    Outback will also let you substitute extra green veggies for the
    potatoes with no hassle. :-)


    BTDT! And you're right, it's often not listed; but wonderful just the same.
    One of my more appreciated places as well.

    ....

    Quoted message said:

    Lamb is very, very good.


    I just got back from the market with some fresh lamb. I started some
    sourdough culture before I left, and now it's slice and get the lamb
    marinating. Tonight when my honey comes home, I'll throw down a couple of
    fresh SD Pita's, and while they're baking the lamb will be sizzling. Looks
    like it's gonna be yoghurt drizzled, pita wrapped, lamb souvlakis tonight!
    Thanks for the nudge, Priscilla.

    Later all while I wipe up this puddle of drool,
    Dusty

  2. I love a little feta crumbled over a salad, it is also good sprinkled on
    some cooked spinach

  3. In article <[email hidden]>,

    Dusty Bleher said:

    "OmManiPadmeOmelet" <[email hidden]> wrote in message
    news:[email hidden]...
    ...

    Quoted message said:
    Quoted message said:

    > When I have leftover roast lamb, I'll warm it up and warm up a flour
    > tortilla (I use whole wheat, but you could use low-carb), and wrap the
    > tortilla around chunks of lamb, feta, and maybe some herbs like fresh
    > parsley. YUM!
    Mmmmm! Sounds absolutely yummy, Priscilla. I think I'm gonna wonder on
    down to the market and take my chances with "mad lamb disease"...(:-o)!


    ...

    Quoted message said:

    On the rare occasion that we go out to eat, I prefer to go to "outback"
    and order their rack of lamb...... OH my gods! It's pure heaven! They


    ...

    Quoted message said:

    Outback will also let you substitute extra green veggies for the
    potatoes with no hassle. :-)

    BTDT! And you're right, it's often not listed; but wonderful just the same.
    One of my more appreciated places as well.

    Even if it's not listed on the menu, you can request it on the off
    chance that it's available at the moment. From what I've read and from
    what the chef told me at our local one, it's extremely popular! He
    explained that they are having a supply problem.

    Odd, in England and Australia, sheep/lamb is common. Here, it's rare
    and expensive as he**! And I know there are plenty of sheep in the US!

    Quoted message said:


    ...

    Quoted message said:

    Lamb is very, very good.

    I just got back from the market with some fresh lamb. I started some
    sourdough culture before I left, and now it's slice and get the lamb
    marinating. Tonight when my honey comes home, I'll throw down a couple of
    fresh SD Pita's, and while they're baking the lamb will be sizzling. Looks
    like it's gonna be yoghurt drizzled, pita wrapped, lamb souvlakis tonight!

    Quoted message said:

    Thanks for the nudge, Priscilla.

    Later all while I wipe up this puddle of drool,
    Dusty

    Indeed... What time's dinner? <lol>

    Quoted message said:



    --
    Om.

    "My mother never saw the irony in calling me a son-of-a-[censored]." -Jack Nicholson

  4. In article <[email hidden]>,

    Crystal said:

    I love a little feta crumbled over a salad, it is also good sprinkled on
    some cooked spinach

    So far, the consensus is that it goes very well with spinach. ;-)

    I'll be experimenting.

    Thanks!
    --
    Om.

    "My mother never saw the irony in calling me a son-of-a-[censored]." -Jack Nicholson

  5. Ooooooooooooooooh,
    You had to mention Havarti. I always have to get
    1 1/2 pounds of Havarti to a pound of sliced turkey at the
    Deli counter.

    Just can't make a sandwich without inhaling a few slices
    before they hit the rye bread. Some lettuce, onion and
    yellow mustard or mayo depending on the day. Double decker
    is the minimum! Yum, Yum, Yum.

    Bart

    Bart D. Hull
    [email hidden]
    Tempe, Arizona

    Check http://www.inficad.com/~bdhull/engine.html
    for my Subaru Engine Conversion
    Check http://www.inficad.com/~bdhull/fuselage.html
    for Tango II I'm building.

    Remove -nospam to reply via email.

    OmManiPadmeOmelet said:

    In article <[email hidden]>,

    Nicky said:

    "OmManiPadmeOmelet" <[email hidden]> wrote in message
    news:[email hidden]...

    Quoted message said:

    What's the big deal about Feta Cheese?

    I bought some at the greek market the other day because someone on
    Austin.food had raved about it, and I find it rather salty and overly
    rich. Sure not an eating cheese.

    This sounds a huge YMMV : ) My youngest and I lurve feta in a couscous or
    quinoa salad, mixed with spring onions, tomatoes, mint and olives. I will
    sprinkle it on a salad leaf mixture and roll it up in a low-carb tortilla. I
    even eat it straight from the packet as a snack : ) I have a load of
    recipes to cook with it, but it always get eaten before I get that far!

    Nicky.

    heh!
    Sounds like me with Havarti.....

  6. In article <[email hidden]>,

    OmManiPadmeOmelet said:

    What's the big deal about Feta Cheese?

    I bought some at the greek market the other day because someone on
    Austin.food had raved about it, and I find it rather salty and overly
    rich. Sure not an eating cheese.

    What can I cook with it that would be low carb?

    That market was a fascinating place. Lots of stuff I was not familiar
    with and they had a heck of an Olive bar. I'm not really up on Greek
    cooking so may have to do some googling...

    You could use it as an ingredient in a Greek salad.

  7. Well colon cancer, other cancers and/or heart disease are probably more
    likely than the mad cow/sheep disease.
    Colon problems are almost guaranteed: hemmoroids, fissures, polops,
    colon diseases of all varieties and of course ultimately, colon cancer.

    All that meat leaves it's mark. But eat up and enjoy!

  8. Ann said:

    Never heard about mad cow's disease? They're finding the same virus in
    lamb too you know.

    Quoted message said:

    Huh? You got something against roast lamb?

    Priscilla
    --
    "Inside every older person is a younger person -- wondering what
    the hell happened." -- Cora Harvey Armstrong

    I missed it. Got a source that comes from a
    non-vegan-vegetarian/non-PETA source?

    jim

  9. "Ann" <[email hidden]> wrote in message
    news:[email hidden]...

    Quoted message said:

    Well colon cancer, other cancers and/or heart disease are probably more
    likely than the mad cow/sheep disease.
    Colon problems are almost guaranteed: hemmoroids, fissures, polops,
    colon diseases of all varieties and of course ultimately, colon cancer.

    All that meat leaves it's mark. But eat up and enjoy!


    Well guys, let's just close up the newsgroup and go home...Ann says we're
    ruining our health so it must be so.

    Last one out, don't forget to shut off the lights!

    😉
    --
    Sherry
    364/310/195
    http://lowcarb.owly.net

  10. Pandora said:

    "OmManiPadmeOmelet" <[email hidden]> ha scritto nel messaggio
    news:[email hidden]...

    Quoted message said:

    What's the big deal about Feta Cheese?

    I bought some at the greek market the other day because someone on
    Austin.food had raved about it, and I find it rather salty and overly
    rich. Sure not an eating cheese.

    Feta cheese is very salty. You must immerse it in a cup full of milk for 1
    hour or two.
    When you will taste it will be unsalted and you'll be able to eat it!!!! I
    use to do in this way also with Smoked herrings.

    Cheers
    Pandora

    Quoted message said:

    What can I cook with it that would be low carb?

    That market was a fascinating place. Lots of stuff I was not familiar
    with and they had a heck of an Olive bar. I'm not really up on Greek
    cooking so may have to do some googling...

    TIA!
    --
    Om.

    "My mother never saw the irony in calling me a son-of-a-[censored]." -Jack
    Nicholson

    Not to disagree too strongly, Pandora, but I have had jarred feta which
    is much less saltier than some others. You can, if you have the
    resources, get a young feta that is exceptionally mild. Here in San
    Diego, the Petrou family sometimes carries it at their Farmer's Market
    stands.

    I've been eating feta since I was 10 years old and was living in Greece.
    Like any other food, there are variances in feta.

    jim

  11. In article <[email hidden]>,

    Bart D. Hull said:

    Ooooooooooooooooh,
    You had to mention Havarti. I always have to get
    1 1/2 pounds of Havarti to a pound of sliced turkey at the
    Deli counter.

    Just can't make a sandwich without inhaling a few slices
    before they hit the rye bread. Some lettuce, onion and
    yellow mustard or mayo depending on the day. Double decker
    is the minimum! Yum, Yum, Yum.

    Bart

    Bart D. Hull
    [email hidden]
    Tempe, Arizona

    It's even better grilled....... ;-)
    Try it with pita sometime.
    Fewer carbs and pita's grill up crispy.

    I've made Havarti Cheese Balls for Christmas!
    They always get eaten before anything else does.

    Cheese balls are SO easy to make and make
    great Christmas gifts!
    --
    Om.

    "My mother never saw the irony in calling me a son-of-a-[censored]." -Jack Nicholson

  12. In article <[email hidden]>,

    Ann said:

    Well colon cancer, other cancers and/or heart disease are probably more
    likely than the mad cow/sheep disease.
    Colon problems are almost guaranteed: hemmoroids, fissures, polops,
    colon diseases of all varieties and of course ultimately, colon cancer.

    All that meat leaves it's mark. But eat up and enjoy!

    One can still consume meat and eat a high fiber diet. ;-)

    I've known vegetarians that died of colon cancer.

    All those pesticides leave their mark too.....

    Cheers!
    --
    Om.

    "My mother never saw the irony in calling me a son-of-a-[censored]." -Jack Nicholson

  13. In article <[email hidden]>,

    Sherry said:

    "Ann" <[email hidden]> wrote in message
    news:[email hidden]...

    Quoted message said:

    Well colon cancer, other cancers and/or heart disease are probably more
    likely than the mad cow/sheep disease.
    Colon problems are almost guaranteed: hemmoroids, fissures, polops,
    colon diseases of all varieties and of course ultimately, colon cancer.

    All that meat leaves it's mark. But eat up and enjoy!


    Well guys, let's just close up the newsgroup and go home...Ann says we're
    ruining our health so it must be so.

    Last one out, don't forget to shut off the lights!

    😉
    --
    Sherry

    <snicker>
    --
    Om.

    "My mother never saw the irony in calling me a son-of-a-[censored]." -Jack Nicholson

  14. In article <[email hidden]>,

    OmManiPadmeOmelet said:

    I'll run another level the end of this month and see if it's been enough.
    If not, I'll just make myself start eating liver again. :-P

    Any good recipes to disguise that stuff? I really, really am not overly
    fond of beef liver.

    How about lamb liver?

    Priscilla
    --
    "Inside every older person is a younger person -- wondering what
    the hell happened." -- Cora Harvey Armstrong

  15. In article <[email hidden]>,

    FOB said:

    Especally good with
    lamb liver which is very mild but which I haven't seen for a long time
    though a butcher shop might have it or get it for you.

    I get it at Whole Foods.

    Priscilla
    --
    "Inside every older person is a younger person -- wondering what
    the hell happened." -- Cora Harvey Armstrong

  16. In article <[email hidden]>,

    Dusty Bleher said:

    "OmManiPadmeOmelet" <[email hidden]> wrote in message
    news:[email hidden]...

    Quoted message said:
    Quoted message said:

    Lamb is very, very good.


    I just got back from the market with some fresh lamb. I started some
    sourdough culture before I left, and now it's slice and get the lamb
    marinating. Tonight when my honey comes home, I'll throw down a couple of
    fresh SD Pita's, and while they're baking the lamb will be sizzling. Looks
    like it's gonna be yoghurt drizzled, pita wrapped, lamb souvlakis tonight!
    Thanks for the nudge, Priscilla.

    OK. I'm headed down to the basement where the chest freezer is to haul
    out a little boneless half leg. My mouth is watering.

    Priscilla
    --
    "Inside every older person is a younger person -- wondering what
    the hell happened." -- Cora Harvey Armstrong

  17. In article <[email hidden]>,

    Nicky said:

    "Priscilla Ballou" <[email hidden]> wrote in message
    news:[email hidden]...

    Quoted message said:

    I didn't know that, and I still don't, but I fail to see why that would
    make me not eat leg of lamb any more than the other made me stop eating
    roast beef.

    Exactly. The sheep variant is called scrapies, and it's been around far
    longer than the cow variety....

    Hmmmm. Have I maybe heard reference to it on "All Creatures Great and
    Small?"

    Priscilla
    --
    "Inside every older person is a younger person -- wondering what
    the hell happened." -- Cora Harvey Armstrong

  18. In article <[email hidden]>,

    Priscilla Ballou said:

    In article <[email hidden]>,

    OmManiPadmeOmelet said:

    I'll run another level the end of this month and see if it's been enough.
    If not, I'll just make myself start eating liver again. :-P

    Any good recipes to disguise that stuff? I really, really am not overly
    fond of beef liver.

    How about lamb liver?

    Priscilla

    I've never seen it for sale......
    Around here anyway!
    --
    Om.

    "My mother never saw the irony in calling me a son-of-a-[censored]." -Jack Nicholson

  19. In article <[email hidden]>,

    Priscilla Ballou said:

    In article <[email hidden]>,

    FOB said:

    Especally good with
    lamb liver which is very mild but which I haven't seen for a long time
    though a butcher shop might have it or get it for you.

    I get it at Whole Foods.

    Priscilla

    There is a whole foods in Austin. :-)
    I'll check that then, thanks!
    If it's not as strongly flavored as beef,
    I could probably eat that once per week
    especially now that I have the new grill!

    Cheers!
    --
    Om.

    "My mother never saw the irony in calling me a son-of-a-[censored]." -Jack Nicholson

  20. In article <[email hidden]>,

    Priscilla Ballou said:

    In article <[email hidden]>,

    Dusty Bleher said:

    "OmManiPadmeOmelet" <[email hidden]> wrote in message
    news:[email hidden]...

    Quoted message said:
    Quoted message said:

    Lamb is very, very good.


    I just got back from the market with some fresh lamb. I started some
    sourdough culture before I left, and now it's slice and get the lamb
    marinating. Tonight when my honey comes home, I'll throw down a couple of
    fresh SD Pita's, and while they're baking the lamb will be sizzling. Looks
    like it's gonna be yoghurt drizzled, pita wrapped, lamb souvlakis tonight!
    Thanks for the nudge, Priscilla.

    OK. I'm headed down to the basement where the chest freezer is to haul
    out a little boneless half leg. My mouth is watering.

    Priscilla

    I'm going to have to check Central Market or Whole Foods
    and see if they have affordable lamb. ;-)
    --
    Om.

    "My mother never saw the irony in calling me a son-of-a-[censored]." -Jack Nicholson

Active in the last 60 minutes

Active in this thread

0 users · 0 guests ·0 bots ·0 total

No signed-in users are active right now.

No known search crawlers active right now.