rec.sport.unicycling · Public discussion

few Coasting questions

Started by Unicyclotrone · · Last activity · 4 posts · 290 views

Thread details

What we know about this thread

Original section
rec.sport.unicycling
Published
16 May 2005
Last activity
16 May 2005
Original author
Unicyclotrone
Posts
4
Discussion status
Public discussion
Total views
290
Views / 30 days
0

The navigation and discussion metadata provide context. Posts remain in their original chronological order.

Showing posts 1–4 of 4
Posts remain in their original chronological order.

Text size
  1. Hi

    I have a few questions about coasting, I am (unoficially) 7th level
    unicyclist and I decided, that the next skill I'll learn will be
    coasting. I've been working on it about week or so, but the progres
    seems to be very very slow (i usually coast for few inches, but for a
    few times i managed to go for some 2-4 meters)

    So here are my questions.

    1)how long does it take to get good at coasting (I mean go for at least
    10 meters before falling most of times)?

    2)Is it posible to learn to coast without first having gliding down ?(i
    have noticed that tire wears of very quickly via this skill🙁 and im not
    as rich to buy new one every month🙂 )

    3) Is it posibble to coast downhill (i mean does any of you do that🙂
    withou killing yourself?

    thanx for answers

    --
    Unicyclotrone - Czech Unitrialist LVL6
    ------------------------------------------------------------------------
    Unicyclotrone's Profile: http://www.unicyclist.com/profile/9145
    View this thread: http://www.unicyclist.com/thread/40409

  2. I am starting my coasting from riding one footed (i have 1ft riding
    pretty well down=can go fwd/bwd in figure 8 with either foot 🙂).
    Is there any other way (besides gliding) to transfer to coasting?

    --
    Unicyclotrone - Czech Unitrialist LVL6
    ------------------------------------------------------------------------
    Unicyclotrone's Profile: http://www.unicyclist.com/profile/9145
    View this thread: http://www.unicyclist.com/thread/40409

  3. I can coast a few meters, but I can't glide. I start from riding 1-ft.

    --
    Borges

    "However, I confess that the ultimate wheel lacks the day to day
    practicality of the conventional unicycle" -Mikefule
    ------------------------------------------------------------------------
    Borges's Profile: http://www.unicyclist.com/profile/925
    View this thread: http://www.unicyclist.com/thread/40409

  4. For some tips on learning to coast, look 'here.'
    (http://en.wikibooks.org/wiki/The_Unicyclopedia:Freestyle) You will have
    to scroll down a ways.

    1) Learning time varies from person to person. Jesse Berg told me he
    learned it in a day. I have been working on it since June of 2004, so
    about ten months, and I'm just about to the point where I can go ten
    meters consistently. It will probably be a very long, frustrating
    process. Just practice as much as you can, and it will come
    eventually.

    2) No, gliding is not necessary before coasting, although it would
    certainly help to learn gliding first. I started on coasting about the
    time I started working on one-footed wheel walk, but by the time
    coasting actually clicked, (I could go ten meters and ride out at least
    once in a while), six months later, I had learned gliding. I think I
    probably would have gotten coasting eventually without gliding, but I
    can't say for sure.

    3) I have done a little downhill coasting. It's certainly possible on
    very slight downhills. It's very scary on steep downhills, though,
    because you accelerate sooooooo fast. I have managed to stay on on a
    somewhat steep downhill grade for about twenty meters. Beyond that, the
    fear factor usually overrides my balance. (Which is pretty pathetic in
    any case.)

    There are a bunch of ways to get into coasting. You can go from gliding,
    one-footed riding, regular riding, and one-footed wheel walk fast. The
    most practical for learning is one-footed riding, but I think going
    directly from regular riding is a good exercise to improve stability
    once you can coast at least a little bit.

    I suggest you work on both kinds of coasting, with the leg extended and
    with both feet on the frame. Originally, I worked only on leg extended,
    coasting, and it was only when, six months later, I finally switched to
    coasting with both feet on the frame that I finally got it. Now I
    actually find it easier to coast leg extended. So work on both, and
    don't be afraid to experiment.

    --
    jsm - Freestyler

    Help edit the Unicyclopedia!
    http://en.wikibooks.org/wiki/The_Unicyclopedia
    ------------------------------------------------------------------------
    jsm's Profile: http://www.unicyclist.com/profile/6911
    View this thread: http://www.unicyclist.com/thread/40409

Active in the last 60 minutes

Active in this thread

0 users · 0 guests ·0 bots ·0 total

No signed-in users are active right now.

No known search crawlers active right now.