FH-M756 XT vs FH-M785 XT

Strelok

Apr 12, 2011
Which hub is better from a reliability standpoint?

Is this center lock stuff all that great? What about his ICE tech the shimano is pushing? seems to make for expensive rotors.

are there any other hubs worth considering at this price point?

And does anyone actually know what the 756 rear hub weighs?

FWIW. You are correct about the center-lock rotors being more expensive than regular 6-bolt rotors ...

It makes sense that the Shimano's ICE-Tech aluminum spider would act as a heat sink to help dissipate the heat which may develop during continuous hard braking ...

If YOU are riding on trails where you notice your disc brakes getting excessively hot then the center lock discs would be a good thing.

If your riding isn't quite so demanding, then it may not be as meaningful.

As far as the center lock, itself, the advantage is for the (race) mechanic because it only takes a few seconds to remove the center lock (the same lock ring which is used for a Shimano cassette can be used to secure the center disc, and vice-versa, BTW) vs. the time it takes to remove six bolts ... and, to put the bolts or lock ring back in place.

If you need it, it's not a gimmick.

If you don't need it then it probably is.

BTW. While I have laced up two sets of disc wheels (one with a set of center lock hubs) to use in anticipation of the day when my off-road riding becomes serious enough to warrant installing disc brakes, my antiquated hardtail only has V-brakes ...

Again:

• If you need it, it's not a gimmick
  • If you don't need it then it probably is

BTW. Some disc hubs can be used as a substitute for a boat anchor. OLDER XT disc hubs fall into that category, IMO.

If you want a comparatively light disc hub, then you'll probably want to pony up for a DT SWISS hub.