Fiesta Wildflower San Antonio Century Last Weekend

drmclaws

Feb 23, 2014
Interested if anyone out there knows how many of us did the 102 miles last Sunday. I'm pretty new to cycling (began 4 months ago) and had not ridden more than a 54 mi before this. From a cooler climate, so when the temps got near 100 on the course and the San Antonio high that day was 98 with the wind 15 gusting to mid 20's I was taxed to say the least. My son is a veteran rider and could have done it in about 6- 6:30 but hung with his 60 year dad and we did took 8 hour 10 min to do it. Seemed as if when we split from the 60 mile people there was no one out there until we passed a few. Realize it was a poor time but I really don't care as I was just happy to survive. Saw lots of riders at the last 2 rest/aid stations who were overheated and waiting to get brought back to the finish with the sag wagon. What a day!

What is this 100° and overheated you speak of, stranger?

Congratulations on completing the ride!

Originally Posted by CAMPYBOB
What is this 100° and overheated you speak of, stranger?
Seriously. I don't even remember what overheated feels like. Unseasonably cold and 25-30+mph wind continues for the next two weeks.

Congrats on the finish OP. That's a long ride in that much heat.

Thanks, I have a new respect for the sport. I've never been fast but try not to ever give up. Had never ran in any race before running my first marathon 10 years ago so I figured 1st marathon at 50 and the same with the Century not ever riding in a organized ride before and now 60. I was impressed at how friendly all the folks were out on the course and the volunteers were comparable if not better than any of the 15 marathons I've participated in to date. Have the Ogden marathon in 2 weeks and the temps should be heavenly compared to last weekend. But then I might just be a big wuss to?

15 marathons under your belt? Doing 100 miles on a bike at the age of 60?

NOT a wuss!

We have had three straight days of cold rain here in Ohio and three or four more days of rain are predicted. After a winter like the one we just went through, I really don't need a second cold, wet summer to train in.