Fig Newtons

Discussion in 'Cycling Training' started by jnorth51, Oct 6, 2006.

1. jnorth51

jnorth51 New Member

I have been doing a lot of reading on various posts about suggestions for foods to take along with me on rides (I generally do rides in the 2 hour range, with some in the 304 hour range).

I have read a lot of people mention taking fig newtons with them for the ride. I found this interesting. I used to love fig newtons, and haven't had them in years. Just wondering why they seem to be very popular with cyclists.

Tags:

2. Scotty_Dog

Scotty_Dog New Member

304 hours is quite a long ride! I'd suggest eating 12 pounds of pasta, 6 chickens, 10 loaves of bread, 20 gallons of water........:D

On a serious note, figs are really good for you and a fig newton is easy to pack and handle while riding. Nutritionally, figs are very similar to bananas. Check out some facts:
    http://www.thefruitpages.com/contents.shtml
    http://www.californiafigs.com/nutrition/index.html
    http://www.nabiscoworld.com/./Brands/ProductInformation.aspx?BrandKey=newtons&Site=1&Product=4400000750

3. lumpy

lumpy New Member

Look for Paul Newmans - "Fig Newmans". Quite tasty and no trans fat :D

4. jnorth51

jnorth51 New Member

Sorry - that was meant to be 3 TO 4 hours!! LOL :D Thanks for pointing that out though, I had no idea I typed that!

Wow - Fig Newman's hey - i certainly would of noticed them in my supermarket. I guess they aren't in Canada.... :(

5. frenchyge

frenchyge New Member

I love me some fig newtons. Naturally low-fat, very portable and bite-sized, and lots of carbs. "Down south" we have strawberry newtons, too.

6. Junge

Junge New Member

Check in your organic section.

7. Lucy_Aspenwind

Lucy_Aspenwind New Member

And since you are having white meat, a white wine would be ideal, perhaps a sauvignon blanc.....[​IMG]

Fig newman's - very tasty!

8. li rider

li rider New Member

They also are a good change from just eating bars and the chew makes you feel like you ate something.

9. Doctor Morbius

Doctor Morbius New Member

Because they don't taste like Power Bars! I'd rather eat cardboard.

10. Lucy_Aspenwind

Lucy_Aspenwind New Member

LOL - yeah when I see all those "flavors" on powerbars......cherry chocolate chip....ha ha....talk about oxymoronic....more like, cherry chocolate chip = "resin drywall"

11. Yojimbo_

Yojimbo_ Well-Known Member

Of course they are in Canada. And so are Date Newtons which I prefer. If you can't find them, ask someone in the grocery store.

12. toshi

toshi New Member

Ah, fig newtons:

portable
    carb-packed
    taste real
    chewy
    bite-sized
    break down in your mouth fast with a swig of water
    fast acting
    cheap!!

13. schmoopy

schmoopy New Member

I have found that that the fig newtons are great as all-around on the bike food beacuse they seem to have the perfect slow release/digestion/absorption/ thing happening.

You all know what I mean .......:)

I actually like to get the "fat free" labeled ones not because they are 'fat free' (which is of little concern on the bike...) but rather because they don't crumble apart easy like the regular ones
    Another eason is they are the official snack food of the PGA Tour (seriously ....)

14. NickDavid

NickDavid New Member

i love those damn things... they now make them in Whole Wheat :)

Just be careful, 2 fig newtons is something like 120 calories. I could eat a damn bag easily which would make you gain probably 2 pounds from calories.

A few on a ride is just fine. I'm very partial to the "Champion Nutrition" snacbars. I've been using CN's products for the past 8 months and they're without a doubt the best i've ever used. And they happen to taste the best too.

15. jnorth51

jnorth51 New Member

I checked the aisle in the grocery store that sells the Fig Newton's, and I couldn't find any Fig Newman's anyway. I did find the Date Newton's....not sure if i would like those as much as the Fig's, but I guess I will try them soon.

I will check the organic section of the grocery store to see if the Fig NEWMAN'S are there, but I have my doubts... :(

16. jnorth51

jnorth51 New Member

I had no idea they were low fat. I agree, I bring a couple with me to work each day to snack on. I could easily eat the hold bag! However, i was worried about the calories and fat (while just snacking on them) while not riding...

17. jmoryl

jmoryl New Member

Some people put their fig newtons in a plastic bag with a bit salt substitute (or 'lite' salt, which is a mixture of sodium and potassium chloride), which sticks to the sticky parts. Good to replenish some of the electrolytes.

18. Yojimbo_

Yojimbo_ Well-Known Member

Did you ask somebody?

19. jnorth51

jnorth51 New Member

Yeah, I did. Unfortunately, it was Sunday evening, about 15 mins prior to closing, and the store was closed the next day for the long weekend. Safe to say, the only person to be found was a young guy "working". I asked him about the Fig Newman's and his reply was "wha?". So he took me to the aisle where the Fig Newton's were, and had a quick look and said "I guess not...never heard of them".

I will go back during the day sometime soon.