Fight with a car....on the bike path!

Deest

New Member
Jul 16, 2005
Those of you who know me know I'm a pretty relaxed and calm sorta guy and I don't get mad often but today I blew it.

I work from home, quite close to the Yarra trail in the Banyule area. Today I jumped on the bike path on my way to Kew Blvd for some training. Those of you familiar with the section of the path along Manningham Rd (or whatever its called there) will know you have to cross over the drive in entrance to the Greenery nursery. It's well signposted for cars to look out for cyclists crossing

I was already going slow but slowed down further looked for cars turning in and noticed one was about to do so but I had plenty of time, kept going and the car duly proceded after me. He may have had to slow down 2 seconds if that to let me go past. All is sweet so far.

As I pulled away the driver winds down his window and shouts "Get off the f$#@$%g road you ******". I couldn't believe it. Normally I have a thick skin and I'd let this sort of thing go past on the road. But this is the bike path - our patch! I turned around and chased him into the nursery and confronted him explaining very calmy I had done nothing wrong, he was supposed to give way to me and he hardly needed to slow down at all in doing so.

"Why don't you ride on the f$#@$%g road instead of the footpath?"

"I wasn't on the footpath I was on the bike path" And I bet if I was on the road you'd be complaining too"

"You f$#@$%g idiots should be off the road"

That's just a summary there was more in between and I was getting quite upset with each passing second. This guy was a fat slob, his only form of exercise would be carrying the slab of VB from car to fridge. So I replied

"You should get your fat **** on a bike so you lose some weight. I was a fat slob like you once"! (In retrospect I'm proud of that reply. I was 100kg once but never as big as this ******** but forgive me the poetic license)

He then proceded to tell me where to go and what to get and told me to stay out of his way or I'd get what was coming to me. So I got my mobile out, took note of his number plate and told him I was going straight to the police station to report him for road rage and abuse. (I just made that up - don't really know what to report him for).

I continued to Kew Blvd did **** at my hill sprints and have been shaking ever since. Confrontation is not my style. Maybe that's why my wife and daughter always get their own way!

Sorry for the long post. Thought you'd all like to know though.

BTW The car was a "Brockadore"

Deest said:
[...]

Good to hear that only words were thrown.

I use words in my job to argue legal matters and I have sufficient grasp of the English language to be able to argue for days about the meaning of a single phrase in a 250 page contract. I front for my organisation when they want someone argued with. But in confrontations like yours, I usually lose the power of rational argument and about the best I can normally manage is "you f**kwit, you almost hit me", or similar.

I think you did really well to put together a rational argument given the nature of the incident.

Have a glass of something refreshing and relax

SteveA

Deest wrote:
<snip>

> I work from home, quite close to the Yarra trail in the Banyule area.
> Today I jumped on the bike path on my way to Kew Blvd for some
> training. Those of you familiar with the section of the path along
> Manningham Rd (.....

I'm not sure of local laws but I think that he was actually breaking the
law by driving on a DUP or dedicated cycle path. I'm sure that if you'd
told him this then told him to back off or you'd bring the cops down
there he'd change his tune. Threatening to call the cops on some jerk is
never as good as when he really knows that he's in the **** if they
come, just threats on their own are just noise, similar to the noise
he's making at you.
OTOH perhaps you could in the longterm change his attitude but making
him feel self-conscious about his weight problem and that he goes about
offending ordinary folk, regardless of their mode of transport.

In future remember that you don't want confrontation and every such
incident is an opportunity to turn the tables on the antagonist even
while extricating yourself. If someone abuses me while I'm out biking
and I can catch them I start a discussion about road rules, rights, why
they did what they did, why they thought that they in particular had to
do that, what their kids would think of them, how nice a day for them to
enjoy but instead they're arguing with another roaduser, and so on.
Whatever it takes so that when I leave them they're saying to themselves
"WTF just happened?", or better, it isn't worth to do that again.

Know the road rules, be righteous and be polite, be happy to toss the
insides of their heads like so much salad in the intent of making them
happier and more considerate motorists (if not cyclists), and always,
always leave by saying "have a nice day" and without any anger in your
voice.
Yep that'll do it.

Deest said:
Those of you who know me know I'm a pretty relaxed and calm sorta guy and I don't get mad often but today I blew it.

One major problem here - you're applying intellect and logic with a cockhead who clearly *isn't logical*. It isn't about you, it's a sad indictment about a shi1head who gets a rise via abusing others. I'll agree it's frigging annoying when a idiotic situation trips the self control and causes you to bite back. But again, at least the only thing that was thrown around was words. You're ok, it didn't escalate. Go and have beer or beverage of choice. Peace. :)

"DD" <[email protected]> wrote in message
news:[email protected]...
> Deest wrote:
> <snip>
> >
> > I work from home, quite close to the Yarra trail in the Banyule area.
> > Today I jumped on the bike path on my way to Kew Blvd for some
> > training. Those of you familiar with the section of the path along
> > Manningham Rd (.....
> >

> I'm not sure of local laws but I think that he was actually breaking the
> law by driving on a DUP or dedicated cycle path.

I am familiar with this driveway as I go across it twice a day on a regular
basis during my commute. Without wanting to side with the motorist, I have
always treated that particular part as the cars having right of way due to
the fact that the bike path ends on either side of the driveway and is not
marked for the section that crosses the driveway. I will take Deest's word
that there are signs advising cars to watch for cyclists but I have never
noticed these myself. I find that it is worse in the afternoons for me as
when you are coming back from the city direction, it is hard to see cars
coming out of the nursery due to the angle of the driveway and the plants
growing on the fence.

I am not sure who the law would favour here but I would guess that the
driveway was private property and I think that you have to give way when
entering or departing a driveway (not sure......wild **** guess??).
Regardless of who has the law on their side, it doesn't excuse the driver's
behaviour. I think that your response was pretty good, but ease up on the
100kg jokes or I might get offended :)

Ride On,

Gags

Gags said:
[...]

Pretty sure there is a sign of some description warning about cyclists crossing, please check for me tomorrow, but you miss the point. It's not about who gave way to whom. I really don't think he even had to slow down as he turned into the driveway. To give you an idea I was almost to the other side of the driveway as he went through behind me. That's what made his outburst so unbelievable. He didn't have to stop for me, he didn't have to give way or slow down even. I was out of his way before he turned. I'm sure he thought I would just keep riding given the distance between us when he gave his spray. It was the verbal abuse for no good reason that I was objecting to.

Also I was very calm and collected when I first approached him and it was only when he continued swearing at me that I lost my cool. And in losing my cool all I did was call him a fat slob. Not a single articulate recognisable profanity escaped my lips.

To summarise: It was the verbal obuse that got me. The right of way issue was a non issue as we were never going to be occupying the same bit of earth at the same time

And sorry about the 100kg jokes and no offense meant to anyone. I bet I'm a lot shorter than you so for me 100kg was very heavy. I'm now 80kg and that's still too heavy for my height.

report the redneck to the cops, even though they will not act, but your
report may remain on the record, so if arsewipe does somthing bad later
the cops may act then.

"cfsmtb" <[email protected]> wrote in message
news:[email protected]...
:
: Deest Wrote:
: > Those of you who know me know I'm a pretty relaxed and calm sorta
guy
: > and I don't get mad often but today I blew it.
: >
:
: One major problem here - you're applying intellect and logic with a
: cockhead who clearly *isn't logical*. It isn't about you, it's a sad
: indictment about a shi1head who gets a rise via abusing others. I'll
: agree it's frigging annoying when a idiotic situation trips the self
: control and causes you to bite back. But again, at least the only
thing
: that was thrown around was words. You're ok, it didn't escalate. Go
and
: have beer or beverage of choice. Peace. :)
:
:
: --
: cfsmtb
:

On Wed, 14 Dec 2005 15:40:16 +0800, DD wrote:

> Know the road rules, be righteous and be polite, be happy to toss the
> insides of their heads like so much salad in the intent of making them
> happier and more considerate motorists

Seconded. That's great fun. Especially when you can point out everything
they've just done. For bonus points, quote chapter and verse. I need to
reread the act to be able to do that again.

--
Dave Hughes | [email protected]
"Never make any mistaeks." (Anonymous, in a mail discussion.)

Gags wrote:

<snip>
> I am not sure who the law would favour here but I would guess that the
> driveway was private property and I think that you have to give way when
> entering or departing a driveway (not sure......wild **** guess??).

<snip>

I thought drivers on driveways had to give way?

Tam

Tamyka Bell said:
Gags wrote:

<snip>
> I am not sure who the law would favour here but I would guess that the
> driveway was private property and I think that you have to give way when
> entering or departing a driveway (not sure......wild **** guess??).

<snip>

I thought drivers on driveways had to give way?

Tam

VicRoads says

"When entering the road from a driveway or adjacent land, you must give way to pedestrians on any footpath, path or nature strip you cross to enter the road. You must also give way to bicycles or other vehicles on the footpath, path or nature strip.

This also applied when leaving the road to enter a driveway or adjacent lane."

http://www.vicroads.vic.gov.au/vrpdf/rdsafe/DrivinginVicRR.pdf

sinus said:
VicRoads says

"When entering the road from a driveway or adjacent land, you must give way to pedestrians on any footpath, path or nature strip you cross to enter the road. You must also give way to bicycles or other vehicles on the footpath, path or nature strip.

This also applied when leaving the road to enter a driveway or adjacent lane."

http://www.vicroads.vic.gov.au/vrpdf/rdsafe/DrivinginVicRR.pdf

Well, in that case perhaps you/Gags/whoevarrr could send a request for ped/path crossing or perhaps green lane or better yet one of them raised crossings to Manningham council (is it?), BV and Banyule BUG

flyingdutch said:
Well, in that case perhaps you/Gags/whoevarrr could send a request for ped/path crossing or perhaps green lane or better yet one of them raised crossings to Manningham council (is it?), BV and Banyule BUG
Lots of kids, families etc cross this driveway on the weekend on their way to Banksia park or just continuing on the yarra trail. The biggest threat I think is from people turning right into the driveway from the main road. They are often in a huge hurry to get across three lanes of traffic, having waited to turn for quite a while. (Cars coming out of the nursery can come out of a blind spot if your're travelling north but generally they're slow)

But I must admit I've never seen or heard of a traffic incident with people using the path. Mister slob from yesterday was the first and I repeat, we didn't even really have to give way to each other. He just wanted to abuse me from a distance because I'm a cyclist.

Deest wrote:

> flyingdutch Wrote:
> > Well, in that case perhaps you/Gags/whoevarrr could send a request for
> > ped/path crossing or perhaps green lane or better yet one of them
> > raised crossings to Manningham council (is it?), BV and Banyule BUG

> Lots of kids, families etc cross this driveway on the weekend on their
> way to Banksia park or just continuing on the yarra trail. The biggest
> threat I think is from people turning right into the driveway from the
> main road. They are often in a huge hurry to get across three lanes of
> traffic, having waited to turn for quite a while. (Cars coming out of
> the nursery can come out of a blind spot if your're travelling north
> but generally they're slow)
>
> But I must admit I've never seen or heard of a traffic incident with
> people using the path. Mister slob from yesterday was the first and I
> repeat, we didn't even really have to give way to each other. He just
> wanted to abuse me from a distance because I'm a cyclist.
>
> --
> Deest

Yeah, you handled yourself really well, and that guy must have had a
really small penis. That's my "expert" opinion/diagnosis.

Tam

Gags said:
I am not sure who the law would favour here but I would guess that the driveway was private property and I think that you have to give way when entering or departing a driveway (not sure......wild **** guess??).
Regardless of who has the law on their side, it doesn't excuse the driver's
behaviour. I think that your response was pretty good, but ease up on the
100kg jokes or I might get offended :)

Although it's most certainly a different story once onto private property, the driveway part of a 'property' on the nature strip area is actually just an easement, and definitely NOT private property. The car has to give way.

Lotte

Tamyka Bell said:
Yeah, you handled yourself really well, and that guy must have had a
really small penis. That's my "expert" opinion/diagnosis.

Tam
Yeah and given the size of his gut maybe I should track him down and send him a hand mirror for Xmas with a note saying "Here, have a look at something you haven't seen in a while!":D

"flyingdutch" <[email protected]> wrote in
message news:[email protected]...

> sinus Wrote:
> > VicRoads says
> >
> > "When entering the road from a driveway or adjacent land, you must give
> > way to pedestrians on any footpath, path or nature strip you cross to
> > enter the road. You must also give way to bicycles or other vehicles on
> > the footpath, path or nature strip.
> >
> > This also applied when leaving the road to enter a driveway or adjacent
> > lane."
> >
> > http://www.vicroads.vic.gov.au/vrpdf/rdsafe/DrivinginVicRR.pdf

> Well, in that case perhaps you/Gags/whoevarrr could send a request for
> ped/path crossing or perhaps green lane or better yet one of them
> raised crossings to Manningham council (is it?), BV and Banyule BUG

I wonder if GPL has got any of that white road marking paint left??? Maybe
a stealth mission one night could see a nice new zebra crossing by
morning......hehehe

Gags

On Thu, 15 Dec 2005 21:14:06 +1100, "Gags" <gags_44nospamatnospamtpg.com.au> wrote:

>I wonder if GPL has got any of that white road marking paint left??? Maybe
>a stealth mission one night could see a nice new zebra crossing by
>morning......hehehe

So cyclists should dismount? You're evil!

Andre

Gags wrote:

> I wonder if GPL has got any of that white road marking paint left??? Maybe
> a stealth mission one night could see a nice new zebra crossing by
> morning......hehehe

I think that was JayWoo, not that any of us know what you're talking
about ;)

DaveB "what How Fast sign"

DD said:
Deest wrote:
<snip>
Know the road rules, be righteous and be polite, be happy to toss the
insides of their heads like so much salad in the intent of making them
happier and more considerate motorists (if not cyclists), and always,
always leave by saying "have a nice day" and without any anger in your
voice.
Yep that'll do it.

My favorite, even before the song, is to just yell out "have a nice day"; for some reason this always seems to enrage them past being able to do anything more, especially when you do it with a smile like they had yelled something nice.

Gags wrote:
> I am familiar with this driveway as I go across it twice a day on a

regular
> basis during my commute. Without wanting to side with the motorist, I have
> always treated that particular part as the cars having right of way due to
> the fact that the bike path ends on either side of the driveway and is not
> marked for the section that crosses the driveway. I will take Deest's word
> that there are signs advising cars to watch for cyclists but I have never
> noticed these myself. I find that it is worse in the afternoons for me as
> when you are coming back from the city direction, it is hard to see cars
> coming out of the nursery due to the angle of the driveway and the plants
> growing on the fence.

I checked out the signage at the Greenery the other day and it sucks. If
you are turning left into the Greenery there is indeed a sign. It is a
GiveWay sign with "To cyclists" below it. But if you are turning right
into the Greenery there is no sign, and given the amount of traffic
along there, even if there was a sign by the time you finished the right
turn it would be too late to see a sign (unless it was placed in the
median strip). So although it appears cyclists have right of way, it
would be a brave sole that assumed motorists would know that.

DaveB