Fignon Quote: "Blame it on bad luck" What a F****** Idiot !

A-Rod,

You might not call them names, but I do. The main reason for mandating helmet use is that severe
head injury patients tap extraordinary amounts of public funds and drain insurance coffers that go
towards their long-term treatment and rehabilitation.

Behind the seat-belt law and the helmet law are reasons that implicate public policy decisions
regarding money that goes towards treating severely brain injured patients. I guarantee you that
most people who suffer severe brain injuries and need lifetime, round-the-clock care, do not have
the milliosn that it actually costs to pay for that.

That money ends up coming from tax dollars, insurance premium pools, and federal grants - because of
this, the government has a right to act paternally and your argument that the issue is nothing but
one of pure free choice simply does not hold water.

There Can Be Only One,

Café

Alex Rodriguez wrote:

> In article <[email protected]>,
> [email protected] says...
>
> >i wonder if kivilev would make a different decision (not wearing a helmet), were it possible now?
> >tell me again-what is the argument in favor of not wearing a helmet?
>
> It's not an argument for not wearing one. It is a matter of free choice. I always wear one, but I
> don't call people who don't wear one names.
> -----------------
> Alex __O _-\<,_ (_)/ (_)

Dear Mr. Rodriguez,

You of all people should know the benefits of a Puerto Rican cooler. Wearing a helmet in fact would
prevent facial injuries, or at least lessen them.

Do this experiment: Put on a helmet in your living room. Now try to kiss the wall with your lips.
You will hear a noise before your lips touch the wall. That noise, A-rod, is the sound of the helmet
hitting the wall first....

There can be only one,

Café

Tom Kunich wrote:

> "Gary German" <gary_g@charter_NOSPAMX_.net> wrote in message
> news:[email protected]...
> >
> > "The Kazakh's doctor with the Cofidis team said that in his view
> Kivilev's
> > life might have been saved had he worn a lightweight hardshell
> helmet. "The
> > area of the skull fracture corresponds to a place protected by a
> helmet,"
> > said Dr Jean-Jacques Menuet. "My fellow doctors would agree with me
> that
> > they should be made obligatory.""
>
> Someone else quoted a story that describe a basal skull fracture. That isn't a place protected by
> a helmet.

I believe Cafe is correct. I know for a fact that fracture will not always occur at the point of
impact. Collarbone fractures are often caused (I've heard) when one falls and reflexively puts
out the hand to stop the fall. Personally, my one bad road crash I fell on the left side of my
chin (BTW, the helmet buckle cracked and the helmet came off) and I suffered (among injuries) a
fracture of my right mandibular condylar neck.

Steve

--
Mark & Steven Bornfeld DDS Brooklyn, NY 718-258-5001 http://www.dentaltwins.com

Café de Colombia wrote:

> A-Rod,
>
> You might not call them names, but I do. The main reason for mandating helmet use is that severe
> head injury patients tap extraordinary amounts of public funds and drain insurance coffers that go
> towards their long-term treatment and rehabilitation.
>
> Behind the seat-belt law and the helmet law are reasons that implicate public policy decisions
> regarding money that goes towards treating severely brain injured patients. I guarantee you that
> most people who suffer severe brain injuries and need lifetime, round-the-clock care, do not have
> the milliosn that it actually costs to pay for that.
>
> That money ends up coming from tax dollars, insurance premium pools, and federal grants - because
> of this, the government has a right to act paternally and your argument that the issue is nothing
> but one of pure free choice simply does not hold water.
>
> There Can Be Only One,
>
> Café

Unpleasantly, true. These kinds of laws are good public policy. Those irresponsible to make
these kind of decisions often don't bear the burden of their foolishness. Personally, I'm glad
there are non-smoker rates for life insurance. Yes, insurance is designed to spread risk over
the population of policyholders. But should the careful be forced to subsidize the careless?

Steve

--

Café de Colombia wrote:
> A-Rod,
>
> You might not call them names, but I do. The main reason for mandating helmet use ......

General helmet laws are off-topic.

thanks, Dan

> "OMC" <[email protected]> wrote in message news:[email protected]...
> > "Tom Kunich" <[email protected]> wrote in message
> news:<[email protected]>...
> > > Fignon, one of the great cyclists makes a comment and some old
> fool
> > > can criticise him.
> > >

> > Dr. says: Doctor Jean-Jacques Menuet claimed that wearing a helmet would almost certainly have
> > saved Kivilev's life.
>
> (Firstly, my applogies for my harsh comments)
>
> Doctors can say anything at all Mike. Do you suppose that doctors study the mechanics of
> collisions so that they can tell what is and what isn't possible? And someone else here said that
> they reported a basal fracture. That is around the base of the skull and is caused by the head
> being forced back too far. I won't describe the rather horrible effects of this but rest assured a
> helmet wouldn't have any effect on that sort of fatal injury.

Kivilev's team doctor, someone who undoubtedbly knows a lot more about cycling-related medical
issues than you, was quoted in the Guardian, as follows:

"The Kazakh's doctor with the Cofidis team said that in his view Kivilev's life might have been
saved had he worn a lightweight hardshell helmet. "The area of the skull fracture corresponds to a
place protected by a helmet," said Dr Jean-Jacques Menuet. "My fellow doctors would agree with me
that they should be made obligatory." "

http://sport.guardian.co.uk/cycling/story/0,10482,913118,00.html

Have you "studied the mechanics of collisions" with respect to cycling and helmet use? Or, can you
cite some research that provides proof for your bizarre opinions?

I've asked you several times in this and other threads for some shred of evidence, but you've not
responded.

> > "The injury Andrei sustained to his skull is located at a point that would have been protected
> > by a helmet," said Meunet.
> >
> > Dr. Laurent Fignon says:
> >
> > "If you land on your forehead, a helmet is still not going to protect you. It doesn't change a
> > thing."
> >
> > So, Tom are you telling me that Dr. Fignon knows more about the potential advantages of wearing
> > a helmet than Dr. Menuet ?
>
> We apparently don't have a good description of the injury Kivilev sustained and a call to
> authority of a doctor who may have no idea what he's talking about isn't much better. Remember
> that only 100 years ago doctors were bleeding patients to cure them. Let's not pretend that a
> medical degree confers engineering knowledge on a doctor.

A doctor who "may have no idea what he's talking about"? He was the team doctor for a professional
cycling team!!!

> > on head injuries, that's why he is an idiot for that statement.
>
> I was attending a friend who was involved in a motorcycle crash. The doctor came out and talked to
> a group of us and said, "If he'd been wearing a helmet he would never have received these sorts of
> injuries." We looked at him and said, "He was wearing a helmet."

And the point of that is, what? Nobody is saying that helmets will make you invincible. However,
there is significant research data showing that they do reduce the severity of injuries. If Kivilev
had been wearing his, he probably would have survived.

news:[email protected]...
gary_g@charter_NOSPAMX_.net
> says...
>
> >> IIRC, Fabio crashed on his face, so a helmet would not have helped him.
> >
> >Get your facts straight before posting nonsense, Alex. According to the Guardian:
> >
> >"The Kazakh's doctor with the Cofidis team said that in his view
Kivilev's
> >life might have been saved had he worn a lightweight hardshell helmet.
"The
> >area of the skull fracture corresponds to a place protected by a helmet," said Dr Jean-Jacques
> >Menuet. "My fellow doctors would agree with me that they should be made obligatory.""
>
> Maybe you should learn to read. The post you are replying to does not
mention
> Kivilev.
> -----------------
> Alex __O _-\<,_ (_)/ (_)

Agreed, and my apologies for the post...I read "Kivilev" where you wrote Fabio.

Tom Kunich wrote:

> That's the implication ****. If the UCI demanded that everyone wear a helmet Kivilev would never
> have been injured in the first place. Unfortunately I just can't see how someone can expect 7
> ounces of foamed plastic to protect a 150 lb body going head first into some hard object. It's
> like people believing in witchcraft.

Just remember tom...

keep the foil shiny-side out...

~******~
--

I don't herd cats anymore. All you end up with are scratches and a bunch of ****** off cats.

"Café de Colombia" <[email protected]> wrote in message news:[email protected]...

> When the helmet breaks, it clearly does absorb a significant amount
of
> energy that would have otherwise been transfered to the head. Your statement that "When the helmet
> breaks it essentially absorbs NO
energy"
> is absolutely untrue from a physics standpoint (so where did the
energy
> come from to break the helmet if not the fall itself, Tom?).

Then please be the first to show us the numbers. You'll find that a breaking helmet absorbs only
about 1/100th of the energy that the collapsing foam does. If you think that is significant then
perhaps you are one of those people with the 8 lb head.

> Such a safety design features are employed in the auto industry in
their
> vehicles as the well-known 'crumble-zone' technology.

I'm afraid that a head doesn't crupple well. Perhaps you can explain to us why brain injuries start
at 180 gees and a helmet is expected to crush at 300 gees? In fact, 300 gees is the highest force a
head can absorb short of death but only in the fittest men. Women and children are SOL.

> Consequently, current DOT certified helmets are actually DESIGNED
and
> INTENDED to break in an impact precisely for this very reason.

Then you will have to show a citation for that because the current DOT standard only talks about
CRUSHING of foam and nothing whatsoever about BREAKING of the helmet. Just to be helpful you can
find the federal helmet standard at http://www.bhsi.org/cpscfinl.htm

>Your argument that the styrofoam needs to be 'crushed' (i.e. compressed)
would
> not apply to a high speed impact, but would apply to a very
low-speed
> impact. Cycling accidents are exclusively high speed impacts and
thus
> result in breakage instead of compression (they are the same species
of
> animal).

Man, I hope you aren't trying to be an engineer anywhere. Exactly what are your credentials for
making such a bizzare statement?

> Your other argument that a helmet is designed to dissipate the
impact
> forces over a larger area of the head's surface area is correct and
is a
> secondary safety mechanism of bicycle helmets.

For your information, that is the primary safety mechanism for a helmet. Why am I getting the idea
that you work for Giro?

> Your final conclusion that a helmet is only good for preventing
minor
> injuries and not serious injuries is a completely unquantified
conclusion
> that lacks any data and does not even feel intuitively correct.

Intuitive huh? So you have studied the matter and worked out the numbers? Try looking at the
following:

The pattern of injury in fatal pedal cycle accidents and the possible benefits of cycle helmets
Kennedy. British Journal of Sports Medicine Vol 30 pp130-3, 1996.

Examination of 28 cyclists deaths over 15 years in Sheffield and Barnsley. Over 80% of both cases
and controls had severe head injuries, but controls (an equal number of pedestrians and motor
vehicle occupant fatalities) suffered more fatal injuries to other parts of the body. If helmets had
saved all those who only had head injuries, at best 14 (50%) of cyclist deaths would have been
prevented. On the other hand, if pedestrians and vehicle occupants had worn helmets, 175 lives may
have been saved in the same period. No justification for compelling cyclists to wear helmets without
taking steps to improve safety of all road users. [j983]

Trends in cycle injury in New Zealand under voluntary helmet use Scuffham, Langley. Accident
Analysis and Prevention, Vol 29:1, 1997

An ecological analysis of serious head and non-head injuries to cyclists, and helmet wearing survey
data, 1989 to 1992 (prior to introduction of NZ manadatory helmet law). Helmet wearing rates
increased over period from 46% to 84% for primary schoolchildren, 23% to 62% for secondary
schoolchildren, and 21% to 39% for adults. All serious injuries to cyclists decreased substantially
for children, but not for adults. Serious head injuries as a percentage of all serious injuries
remained constant for all groups, with no apparent difference between bicycle-only and motor vehicle
related crashes. However, percentages of mild concussions and lacerations to the scalp decreased
more than other cyclist head injuries. The failure to achieve the expected decline in serious head
injury could be attributable to a variety of factors, including the incorrect fitting and wearing of
the helmet. Cycle use declined over the study period by 19%. [j985s]

The cost-effectiveness of compulsory bicycle helmets in New Zealand Hansen, Scuffham. Australian
Journal of Public Health Vol 19:5 pp450-4, 1995

Efficacy of helmets in protecting cyclists in New Zealand may be considerably less than predicted by
other studies.Cost of helmets per life saved varies from $88,379 for primary school children to
$1,014,850 for adults. By comparison, avoided hospital costs range from $3,304 to $56,035. [j984]

Yeah, it sure makes a lot of sense for there to be over a million dollars poured into helmets per
life saved. Some really effective cost management there alright.

Oh, by the way, if DOT came into this discussion we would wipe up the floor with them as has been
done in the past. Try reading the following:

Get a head start Which?, journal of The Consumers' Association, pp 28 - 31, October 1998.

Performance tests of cycle helmets, all produced to meet international standards. 14 of the 24
helmets failed the test criteria for shock absorption, and two of the remainder failed tests related
to retention and strap strength. Only two of the 24 helmets met the more demanding Snell standard,
and one of those caused some impairment of a cyclist's vision. [j980]

So, you see, even though helmets are bearly capable of having any effect in a collision, most of the
helmets made don't even meet that lax standard.

"OMC" <[email protected]> wrote in message news:[email protected]...

> Dr. says: Doctor Jean-Jacques Menuet claimed that wearing a helmet would almost certainly have
> saved Kivilev's life. "The injury Andrei sustained to his skull is located at a point that
> would have been protected by a helmet," said Meunet.

Just how does a helmet protect from a fracture at the "base" of the skull? Dave

"Gary German" <gary_g@charter_NOSPAMX_.net> wrote in message
news:[email protected]...

> Have you "studied the mechanics of collisions" with respect to
cycling and
> helmet use? Or, can you cite some research that provides proof for
your
> bizarre opinions?

For 30 years. What's more I have a lengthy list of papers that I've read and my own paper has been
quoted rather widely.

Again, what leads you to think that 7 ounces of foamed plastic can significantly effect the impact
of a 150 pound body against an immovable object?

> I've asked you several times in this and other threads for some
shred of
> evidence, but you've not responded.

Obviously you have a lot more free time than I have. I must wait until I have time to answer. After
all, that posting was from yesterday. Whatever could I have been doing all this time?

> > I was attending a friend who was involved in a motorcycle crash.
The
> > doctor came out and talked to a group of us and said, "If he'd
been
> > wearing a helmet he would never have received these sorts of injuries." We looked at him and
> > said, "He was wearing a helmet."
>
> And the point of that is, what? Nobody is saying that helmets will
make you
> invincible. However, there is significant research data showing
that they
> do reduce the severity of injuries. If Kivilev had been wearing
his, he
> probably would have survived.

Firstly, the point is that doctors talk. What they say may have no bearing on reality. Since the
didn't pull a helmet off of the victim and there wasn't a helmet laying there he assumed that he
hadn't been wearing a helmet. This is especially important in bicycle cases because the helmet is
usually removed before the victim gets to the hospital and many times the medical reports will say
"no helmet" despite the fact that the person had been wearing one. If this doctor couldn't tell that
a MOTORCYCLE accident victim had been wearing a helmet why would it be surprising that a bicycle
victim was often marked no helmet when he had been wearing one?

Finally, your last sentence tells the entire story here. "If Kivilev had been wearing his, he
probably would have survived." And yet the words of the Team Doctor were, "that in his view
Kivilev's life might have been saved".

You changed 'might have been' to 'probably would have been' and it doesn't even faze you. Others go
further, they claim that it definitely would have saved him.

I suggest a long course of reading on the subject before you respond again. Here's a reading list:

http://www.lesberries.co.uk/cycling/helmets/research.html#mu76

"Mark & Steven Bornfeld DDS" <[email protected]> wrote in message
news:[email protected]...

> Tom Kunich wrote:
>
> > "le gopheur" <[email protected]> wrote in message
> > news:[email protected]...
> > >
> > > If memory serves me, the USCF had to institute a hard shell
helmet
> > law
> > > for races to be able to purchase liability insurance. it
had
> > > NOTHING to do with the USCF board or riders debating the issue.
> >
> > And if I recall properly they instituted helmet reqiurements
without
> > any requirements from the insurance companies.
>
> I'm not sure. I raced only one season, 1986. That year the
season
> opening was delayed because there was no liability insurance. I
think it
> was a problem for the entire USOC, not just the USCF. I don't know specifically what the
> requirements of the policy were when one was obtained, but we were TOLD that wearing of hard-shell
> helmets had
become
> a requirement.

Les whateverhisnameis wrote here that the reason they had no insurance wasn't due to excessive costs
but due to a restructuring of the insurance business at the time. He also noted (I seem to remember)
that the USCF proposed the helmet regulations themselves. They do have a positive effect. Almost all
of the head injuries in cycle racing are minor and reducing them makes insurance far cheaper.

My argument isn't against helmets per se' but rather against the idea that they are some sort of
miracle device that saves lives. They do not save lives. That is entirely a publicity campaign
started by and profited from by Bell Sports.

"Café de Colombia" <[email protected]> wrote in message news:[email protected]...

> You might not call them names, but I do. The main reason for
mandating helmet
> use is that severe head injury patients tap extraordinary amounts of
public
> funds and drain insurance coffers that go towards their long-term
treatment and
> rehabilitation.

The last five serious head injuries in the SanbFrancisco bay area ALL were wearing helmets. One was
in the hospital and long term recovery (last I heard he was walking again) for 4 years.

> Behind the seat-belt law and the helmet law are reasons that
implicate public
> policy decisions regarding money that goes towards treating severely
brain
> injured patients.

Too bad that a car with seat belts and air bags still has about twice as many serious head injuries
as a bicyle rider. And it's also too bad that those head injuries would be almost totally prevented
were the occupants of cars to wear simple bicycle helmets. Oh, but that is rediculous isn't it? Yet
it is only smart to wear a helmet on a bike for half the danger.

I'm really sure that we should concentrate on the dozen or so serious brain injuries yearly in world
wide bicycle racing instead of the 25,000 similar injuries in auto use just in the USA each year.

"Alex Rodriguez" <[email protected]> wrote in message
news:[email protected]... But at the end
> >of the day both Fabio and Andre MAY have been saved by the helmet

> IIRC, Fabio crashed on his face, so a helmet would not have helped him.
> -----------------
> Alex

FACE first into a block of concrete. Dave

"Mark & Steven Bornfeld DDS" <[email protected]> wrote in message
news:[email protected]...
> Café de Colombia wrote:
> > That money ends up coming from tax dollars, insurance premium
pools, and
> > federal grants - because of this, the government has a right to
act paternally
> > and your argument that the issue is nothing but one of pure free
choice simply
> > does not hold water.
>
> Unpleasantly, true. These kinds of laws are good public policy.
Those
> irresponsible to make these kind of decisions often don't bear the
burden of their
> foolishness. Personally, I'm glad there are non-smoker rates for
life insurance.
> Yes, insurance is designed to spread risk over the population of
policyholders.
> But should the careful be forced to subsidize the careless?

Half of all serious head injuries each year come from falls in the home, generally by senior
citizens trying to take a shower. Perhaps we ought to pass a law saying that senior citizens can
only shoewr in the presence of a EMT?

Yearly there are some 50,000 serious head injuries in the USA. Of that bicycles cause about 400 and
most of them are in car collisions. Why is this discussion being held?

"Café de Colombia" <[email protected]> wrote in message news:[email protected]...

> Do this experiment: Put on a helmet in your living room. Now try to
kiss the
> wall with your lips. You will hear a noise before your lips touch
the wall.
> That noise, A-rod, is the sound of the helmet hitting the wall
first....

Jeez, how can you argue with an experiment like that? How could I EVER have doubted the
effectiveness of a helmet?

news:p[email protected]...
> "Gary German" <gary_g@charter_NOSPAMX_.net> wrote in message
> news:[email protected]...

[snip]

> I suggest a long course of reading on the subject before you respond again. Here's a reading list:
>
> http://www.lesberries.co.uk/cycling/helmets/research.html#mu76

Thanks, for the links, Tom.

1) Monash University Accident Research Centre, in their report titled "Evaluation of the Bicycle
Helmet Wearing Law in Victoria during its First Four Years" (available at:
http://www.general.monash.edu.au/muarc/rptsum/es76.htm), concluded:

"It was concluded that the mandatory helmet wearing legislation has had a significant, positive
effect on the number and severity of injuries amongst bicyclists, and that this effect has persisted
for the four years since the introduction of the legislation."

2) Wasserman et al. American Journal of Sports Medicine Vol 18:1 pp 96-7, 1990. "Predicts helmets
would reduce concussions by 29%, skull fractures by 82%."

3) Attewell, Glase & McFadden, Accident Analysis and Prevention, 2001 pp 345-352

Bicycle helmet efficacy: a meta-analysis "Analysis of peer-reviewed studies which include individual
injury and helmet use data, published 1987-98. Overall risk reduction 45% for head injury, 33% for
brain injury, 27% for facial injury, 29% for fatal injury. Some evidence of increased neck injury.
Authors plead for greater acceptance of helmet use."

Tom Kunich wrote:

> "Mark & Steven Bornfeld DDS" <[email protected]> wrote in message
> news:[email protected]...
> >
> > Tom Kunich wrote:
> >
> > > "le gopheur" <[email protected]> wrote in message
> > > news:[email protected]...

> helmet
> > > law
> had
> > >
> > > And if I recall properly they instituted helmet reqiurements
> without
> > > any requirements from the insurance companies.
> >
> > I'm not sure. I raced only one season, 1986. That year the
> season
> > opening was delayed because there was no liability insurance. I
> think it
> > was a problem for the entire USOC, not just the USCF. I don't know specifically what the
> > requirements of the policy were when one was obtained, but we were TOLD that wearing of
> > hard-shell helmets had
> become
> > a requirement.
>
> Les whateverhisnameis wrote here that the reason they had no insurance wasn't due to excessive
> costs but due to a restructuring of the insurance business at the time. He also noted (I seem to
> remember) that the USCF proposed the helmet regulations themselves. They do have a positive
> effect. Almost all of the head injuries in cycle racing are minor and reducing them makes
> insurance far cheaper.
>
> My argument isn't against helmets per se' but rather against the idea that they are some sort of
> miracle device that saves lives. They do not save lives. That is entirely a publicity campaign
> started by and profited from by Bell Sports.

I won't try to refute that. You seem to have expertise in the field. It is obvious to me that
bicycle helmets as they are designed are a relative, not absolute protection against head
injuries. It is altogether possible in my mind that while they will not prevent death in all
cases, there may well be a threshold impact that will cause death or serious injury without a
helmet and less serious injury with one. It is obvious looking at the design of a bicycle helmet
that protection is only one of many factors in their design.

Steve

--

Tom Kunich wrote:

> "Mark & Steven Bornfeld DDS" <[email protected]> wrote in message
> news:[email protected]...
> > Café de Colombia wrote:
> > > That money ends up coming from tax dollars, insurance premium
> pools, and
> > > federal grants - because of this, the government has a right to
> act paternally
> > > and your argument that the issue is nothing but one of pure free
> choice simply
> > > does not hold water.
> >
> > Unpleasantly, true. These kinds of laws are good public policy.
> Those
> > irresponsible to make these kind of decisions often don't bear the
> burden of their
> > foolishness. Personally, I'm glad there are non-smoker rates for
> life insurance.
> > Yes, insurance is designed to spread risk over the population of
> policyholders.
> > But should the careful be forced to subsidize the careless?
>
> Half of all serious head injuries each year come from falls in the home, generally by senior
> citizens trying to take a shower. Perhaps we ought to pass a law saying that senior citizens can
> only shoewr in the presence of a EMT?
>
> Yearly there are some 50,000 serious head injuries in the USA. Of that bicycles cause about 400
> and most of them are in car collisions. Why is this discussion being held?

What is your definition of "serious" head injury? 400 sounds awfully low. I won't argue about
the number of people slipping in the shower. I think the point though, is preventable injury,
using measures most would consider reasonable. I suffered a head injury during a race while
wearing a helmet. It is clear to me the helmet didn't make much of a difference in my fall,
since I fell on my face (not to mention that the helmet came off in the fall). You seem to
acknowledge that helmets do help with "minor" head injuries. By this I assume you mean trips to
the ER, perhaps overnight hospital admissions for concussion?

Steve

--
Mark & Steven Bornfeld DDS Brooklyn, NY 718-258-5001 http://www.dentaltwins.com

--
Scott Anderson Application Developer/GIS Tech. Spec.

email: [email protected] ICBM: 43.41 N 79.38 W