Fignon: We were bribed to lose 87 Vuelta

Discussion in 'Professional Cycling' started by swampy1970, Jul 31, 2009.

1. swampy1970

swampy1970 Well-Known Member

Columbian coffee/drug lords bribe Fignon's"Renault" team:

Fignon: We Were Bribed To Lose 87 Vuelta | Cyclingnews.com

"Fignon, who finished third overall, insists his mind was more on making the flight home after the stage because he was bored and wanted to get back to France. "So we tried to speed things up. You should have seen Herrera's gestures when we were on the front. Filled with panic, he said we were playing a dirty trick. 'Why are you riding if we've paid you?' he shouted at me. I quickly told him that my intention was just to get out of Spain as fast as possible."

Hahahahahhaaaa

... and here was me thinking that Fignon rode for System U in 87.

Tags:

2. limerickman

limerickman Moderator

LOL!

Bribes were all part of the sport.

3. gtm

gtm New Member

I think the thoroughly disgraceful story toward the bottom of the article about being so high on coke he kept Greg Lemond up all night is outstanding :D.

4. limerickman

limerickman Moderator

I like this

Fignon maintains he was so high on the drug that he couldn't sleep that night and kept roommate Greg LeMond up all night talking. The next day he won the race's final stage and then realised that he would have to undergo drug testing. "The Colombians had won a lot of stages up to that point and they'd clearly all been taking cocaine," he alleges. "I was a bit nervous when I went to the control but there were no surprises. It was as white as snow."

HaHa!

5. gtm

gtm New Member

Professional cyclist do have their little 'foibles'.

6. Tech72

Tech72 New Member

This thread perfectly showcases how biased and one dimensional this forum really is. You guys condemn Ullie, Tommy, Conti, LA, etc, etc, and etc for doping, PED and/or recreational. But then snuggle up and cheer the pony tailed Frenchmen for doing the exact same thing.

7. gtm

gtm New Member

Not really - if Fignon had wanted to enhance his performance he would have taken the cocaine on the morning of the race & not the night before. I bet he felt rough & won despite his binge than because of it!

8. Tech72

Tech72 New Member

He is an admitted doper. Maybe not EPO and blood transfusions but with whatever doping product was available at the time., ie amphetamines, cortisone, whatever else and good old fashioned cocaine to keep everything in perspective.

9. thebluetrain

thebluetrain New Member

Its nostalgia my friend. Just look at Merckx. He is "The Greatest" on this forum.

10. slovakguy

slovakguy Active Member

tut, tut, my lad. one day you'll mature and then understand why your blue boy never can measure up to the greatest's palmares.