figuring % grades in TDF

Discussion in 'The Bike Cafe' started by jandbzpapa, Jul 17, 2005.

1. jandbzpapa

jandbzpapa New Member

A question for you informed math/cycle junkies. On the charts they show percent gain in the mountains at about 6-9%. I KNOW it has to be steeper than that. Is there a diff when using metric. I tried to figure out one of the climbs today and think (if I did it correctly) that it came out to about 12 % but the chart said it was 8%. Can some knowledgeable person help me out....please

Tags:

2. mitosis

mitosis New Member

You'll notice that percent doesn't have units. That means 8% grade is 1 up for every 12 1/2 across whether you are measuring in metres, feet or cubits.

They also say the average grade is 8% (or whatever) meaning they take the length of the road and the height increase to work it out. That doesn't mean there are not steeper sections and flatter sections - it just tells you the average.

3. coastal

coastal New Member

Hi,

I was at a function last Saturday where Stephen Hodge was the guest speaker.

As I understand it from his explanation:

The gradient is reflected in the amount of elevation over a 1000metres. eg If an 8% climb would be an 80metre increase in elevation over 1000 metres distance. Hope this helps.

4. jandbzpapa

jandbzpapa New Member

thank you for your replies. I guess the question I was asking is is 8% in metric the same as 8% in our system?

5. cydewaze

cydewaze New Member

Exactly the same.

6. artmichalek

artmichalek New Member

As mitosis said, it's the same in all units. (rise/run)x100 = % As long as rise and run are in the same units, they don't matter. As for the Tour, the stated grades are average, but the roads have switchbacks. For the average to be 6%, the corners of the switchbacks (which are pointed straight up the mountain) are probably at least 15%. That's going to hurt no matter what units you're using. :)

7. mitosis

mitosis New Member

Like I said, there are no units in percent so whether you are in imperial or metric it doesn't matter.

8. mitosis

mitosis New Member

Which is what I said 1 in 12 1/2 is 8%.