Figuring out 2x20 wattage

SolarEnergy said:
In that case, both RapDaddyo concept of training at 90% MP, and splitting L4 durations as we which and taking as much rest as we want, may have an imact on the accumulation of these micro structures, thus on the performance based objectives set at the macro structure level.
Excellent point. The difference between 2x20 and 3x30 is fairly large even long term.

SolarEnergy said:
Let me ask you Frenchyge. Do 3X20 the same as 1X60, 100% power for duration?
That's slightly complicated. Firstly, I haven't done a full 60-min test this winter. Secondly, 3x20 @ FT with 5-min rests at .5FT yields 70 minutes total at a NP of .96FT so it's not an apples-to-apples comparison with 1x60 @ FT. Thirdly, it's tough to separate the mental effects from the physical, which makes it tough to really say how much benefit that 5-min rest really provides.

Aside from that, I'm 100% confident that I could ride 60-min at .96FT without any problem whatsoever. Just to be sure, I'll try it next Wed and report back.

Again, you can narrow my argument down to this. The second (or third) 20min of a 40min (or a 60min) duration, being more exposed to threshold stresses, I simply expect the resulting adaptation to be greater.

IOW, I don't thing you improve 60min TT as much, if you just do 3X20 (with virtually unlimited rest) every single L4 workout. To improve 60min optimal way, you must test 60min once in a while no?

Gee, I am learning something new tonight, and I am open to learn at anytime.

whoawhoa said:
Almost let this one slip by. The longer l4 work seems to make sense with the lower frequency, but why are you upping the l5 work this time of year? Do you plan on "raising the ceiling" and then going back to l4 work?
Yep, trying to "raise the roof!" <makes dorky upward hand pushing motions> :p

You know I also be hittin' dat sweet spot every chance I git! :D

whoawhoa said:
I would say slightly lower than the continuous figure. I agree that using a conversion factor based on the sum of interval time is more precise than on 20mp. What that conversion factor should be, I don't know. Maybe just a few percent lower. What percent of 90mp do you do 3x30's at?
Personally, I thought the use of intervals was to be able to work *higher* (or at least equal to, but with less strain) than a continuous effort would allow. My 3x30 sets have *set* my MP90.

SolarEnergy said:
IOW, I don't thing you improve 60min TT as much, if you just do 3X20 (with virtually unlimited rest) every single L4 workout. To improve 60min optimal way, you must test 60min once in a while no?
Not really, other than to recalibrate your interval intensity levels (which can be done in many other ways than just riding a 60min MP). You can just go along merrily never doing more than 20mins at 91+%FT and then go ride a 60min test and, lo and behold, MP has increased. I know -- I've done exactly that. In fact, it really screwed me up once because I had to ratchet up all my intervals. And, I don't mean an itsy, bitsy increase. More like 40w.

frenchyge said:
Personally, I thought the use of intervals was to be able to work *higher* (or at least equal to, but with less strain) than a continuous effort would allow. My 3x30 sets have *set* my MP90.
Well, I personally do threshold intervals, rather than continuous efforts, because I can do higher intensity efforts than I would sustain, not necessarily higher than I could sustain. Efforts above threshold, this isn't necessarily true.

SolarEnergy said:
Again, you can narrow my argument down to this. The second (or third) 20min of a 40min (or a 60min) duration, being more exposed to threshold stresses, I simply expect the resulting adaptation to be greater.

Gee, I am learning something new tonight, and I am open to learn at anytime.
I'll try to answer this with an analogy, and hope it's not flawed. Would you have to ride continuous 2.5 hr sessions to improve at 2.5 hour RR's? The purpose of intervals is to let you get into the beneficial zone, and be able to do more volume there, with less stress than a continuous bout would provide. Also consider that 5-min VO2 intervals will help your 60-min TT's. The purpose of the workouts is to grow mitochondria, not practice TT-ing.

frenchyge said:
I like 30s (more than 20s) for now. Lately, I have been doing 30min 88%FT and 60min 92%FT. The latter is sometimes challanging. That workouts may feel like your sweet spot training, although I am still not even sure what sweet spot training is.

I have been having good time with you guys tonight.

My "housewive" is somehow a bit "desperate" though. I'll come back tomorrow to see if someone finally explains me what sweet spot is.

SolarEnergy said:
I like 30s (more than 20s) for now. Lately, I have been doing 30min 88%FT and 60min 92%FT. The latter is sometimes challanging. That workouts may feel like your sweet spot training, although I am still not even sure what sweet spot training is.

I have been having good time with you guys tonight.

My "housewive" is somehow a bit "desperate" though. I'll come back tomorrow to see if someone finally explains me what sweet spot is.
Oops! Here's a chart: http://www.rongilcreast.com/ACoggan_New_Training_Levels_chart.htm

Sweet spot training is simply the idea that there is an optimal point in the intensity/duration tradeoff when training between levels 2 and 4, or where the goal is to raise functional threshold.

whoawhoa said:
Sweet spot training is simply the idea that there is an optimal point in the intensity/duration tradeoff when training between levels 2 and 4, or where the goal is to raise functional threshold.
Why does this sound like intercourse? Is it just because SE's wife wants his attention?

RapDaddyo said:
Why does this sound like intercourse? Is it just because SE's wife wants his attention?
Sweet spot training strikes me as being a somewhat feminine approach anyway, ie. the concept that there's a 'just right' way to do it, when faster and more often seems to work just as well. ;)

frenchyge said:
Sweet spot training strikes me as being a somewhat feminine approach anyway, ie. the concept that there's a 'just right' way to do it, when faster and more often seems to work just as well. ;)
I just think the concept of training, repeatedly, any ol' way, makes sense.:D

frenchyge said:
Sweet spot training strikes me as being a somewhat feminine approach anyway
Yep. It takes 90min to find sweet spot, pretty much the same time to find g-spot. :eek:

RapDaddyo said:
Not really, other than to recalibrate your interval intensity levels (which can be done in many other ways than just riding a 60min MP). You can just go along merrily never doing more than 20mins at 91+%FT and then go ride a 60min test and
frenchyge said:
I'll try to answer this with an analogy, and hope it's not flawed. Would you have to ride continuous 2.5 hr sessions to improve at 2.5 hour RR's? The purpose of intervals is to let you get into the beneficial zone, and be able to do more volume there, with less stress than a continuous bout would provide.
I see where you want to bring me, and to a certain extent, I'll go with you.

I am aware of the value of Interval training. 2X20 at a intensity that is a bit higher, will be just as good, if not better than 40 at a lower intensity.

But I am not sure, that 2X20 and 40 (Level 4) at the exact same intensity (e.g. 275w) will result into the same adaptation.

Anyway, we have been ridden that horse quite a lot now (I feel he is getting kind of tired). I am suprised by the lack of valid documentation available through google on this subject. I will spend more time finding documentation and will continue that discussion with more meaningful data to provide.

Thank you so much

SolarEnergy said:
Oupss... sorry whoawhoa. I forgot. :eek:

(thought : "maybe this guy's a real kid after all" :rolleyes: )
Back on topic, there is an important point in this thread that can easily get overlooked. Of the important training levels (L4-L7), L4 is perhaps the most important training level for most cyclists and is the one where they will accumulate the most time (with L5 right behind). But, the power range for L4 (and L5) is huge (14% x FT). There is a direct correlation between power and endurance and we are all limited in availability of training time (even if some of us have more than others). At the lower end of the range, one can spend more time actually training and less time recovering or whatever you want to call it. Macrostructure focus says, "Just do them, at whatever intensity." But, microstructure focus says, "Hold on now. Intensity has a direct effect on total training volume." This is what drives me to do all my intervals at the very lowest level that will deliver the desired adaptation and not one watt more. Because I also want the volume.

RapDaddyo said:
Back on topic, there is an important point in this thread that can easily get overlooked. Of the important training levels (L4-L7), L4 is perhaps the most important training level for most cyclists and is the one where they will accumulate the most time (with L5 right behind). But, the power range for L4 (and L5) is huge (14% x FT). There is a direct correlation between power and endurance and we are all limited in availability of training time (even if some of us have more than others).
Listen RapDaddyo. This is a great comment, in fact one that is going to help me make my point.

First, I will remind readers that the origin of the argument about 2X20 vs 1X40, comes from a question gregkeller asked. That question was : can I do 2X20 more than once a week. My answer was you can do L4 more than once a week, but you should vary interval duration. Twice 2X20 at 100FT, would be a bit too narrow in my mind. What I actually had in mind, is that greg should do more volume, during the second wkout.

As you say, the whole L4 spectrum is 14% FT wide. That is a lot of ground to cover. Some have been claiming that interval as short as 10min, are all you need.

But take a look at the neighboor level (L3). Does anyone on this site do L3 in intervals? Interval durations are not even mentionned in Coggan's chart. Can we assume that continuous work is better for training L3? I would say so.

Then if L3 (up to .90 FT) gets better trained continuous, why would lower limit L4 (starting .91 FT) would suddenly get better trained intervals?

It is a continuum, interval durations, or prefered method of training should reflect that as well. No?

IOW, I don't believe that 10min (or 20min) long interval, will be best suited for the whole 14% wide L4 spectrum.