Filippino grocery

Discussion in 'Food and nutrition' started by Nancy Young, Feb 8, 2006.

  1. Nancy Young

    Nancy Young Guest

    In my travels today, I passed an ethnic grocery! Imagine
    my surprise! Filippino. If I was to stop there one day, what
    do you think I should look for?

    nancy

    Tags:

  2. jmcquown

    jmcquown Guest

    Nancy Young wrote:
    > In my travels today, I passed an ethnic grocery! Imagine
    > my surprise! Filippino. If I was to stop there one day, what
    > do you think I should look for?
    >
    > nancy

    Anything you can't find at the regular grocery store? ;)

    Jill

  3. Nancy Young

    Nancy Young Guest

    "jmcquown" <[email protected]> wrote

    > Nancy Young wrote:
    >> In my travels today, I passed an ethnic grocery! Imagine
    >> my surprise! Filippino. If I was to stop there one day, what
    >> do you think I should look for?

    > Anything you can't find at the regular grocery store? ;)

    Witch!

  4. zxcvbob

    zxcvbob Guest

    Nancy Young wrote:
    > In my travels today, I passed an ethnic grocery! Imagine
    > my surprise! Filippino. If I was to stop there one day, what
    > do you think I should look for?
    >
    > nancy

    Banana ketchup.

    And egg rolls (they probably call them something else) if they have a
    kitchen.

    Best regards,
    Bob

  5. serene

    serene Guest

    On Wed, 08 Feb 2006 17:18:27 -0600, zxcvbob <[email protected]>
    wrote:

    >Nancy Young wrote:
    >> In my travels today, I passed an ethnic grocery! Imagine
    >> my surprise! Filippino. If I was to stop there one day, what
    >> do you think I should look for?
    >>
    >> nancy
    >>

    >Banana ketchup.

    Yum!

    >And egg rolls (they probably call them something else) if they have a
    >kitchen.

    Lumpia. Also, pancit, but only if it's fresh. Also, longaniza (a
    sausage that's lovely in fried rice).

    serene

  6. Nancy Young wrote on 08 Feb 2006 in rec.food.cooking

    > In my travels today, I passed an ethnic grocery! Imagine
    > my surprise! Filippino. If I was to stop there one day, what
    > do you think I should look for?
    >
    > nancy

    Banana Ketchup, dried shrimp...those unhatched chicks in a shell...smoked
    eels, lumpia, tameran <sp?> dried or in a paste

    --
    The eyes are the mirrors....
    But the ears...Ah the ears.

  7. Nancy Young

    Nancy Young Guest

    "Mr Libido Incognito" <[email protected]> wrote

    > Nancy Young wrote on 08 Feb 2006 in rec.food.cooking
    >
    >> In my travels today, I passed an ethnic grocery! Imagine
    >> my surprise! Filippino. If I was to stop there one day, what
    >> do you think I should look for?

    > Banana Ketchup, dried shrimp...those unhatched chicks in a shell...smoked
    > eels, lumpia, tameran <sp?> dried or in a paste

    Okay, thanks everyone (except Jill ... laugh) ... now I have a list
    written down, what to get and what to avoid. No unborn chicks
    in one column, guess which one. (smile) nancy

  8. Steve Wertz

    Steve Wertz Guest

    On Wed, 8 Feb 2006 18:12:19 -0500, "Nancy Young"
    <[email protected]> wrote:

    >In my travels today, I passed an ethnic grocery! Imagine
    >my surprise! Filippino. If I was to stop there one day, what
    >do you think I should look for?

    Longaniza and Tocino.

    -sw

  9. Arri London

    Arri London Guest

    Nancy Young wrote:

    > In my travels today, I passed an ethnic grocery! Imagine
    > my surprise! Filippino. If I was to stop there one day, what
    > do you think I should look for?
    >
    > nancy

    Don't know what else you have in the neighbourhood :D

    Coconut vinegar
    Palm oil or coconut oil
    Fish sauce
    Bibingka mix
    Shrimp paste
    Purple yams (ubu)
    Halo halo in a jar
    Fresh fish and seafood
    Banana leaves for wrapping food
    Lumpia wrappers
    Nice fruits and veg

  10. jmcquown

    jmcquown Guest

    Nancy Young wrote:
    > "jmcquown" <[email protected]> wrote
    >
    >> Nancy Young wrote:
    >>> In my travels today, I passed an ethnic grocery! Imagine
    >>> my surprise! Filippino. If I was to stop there one day, what
    >>> do you think I should look for?

    >> Anything you can't find at the regular grocery store? ;)

    > Witch!

    Yep, that's me!

  11. Dee Randall

    Dee Randall Guest

    "Nancy Young" <[email protected]> wrote in message
    news:[email protected]
    > In my travels today, I passed an ethnic grocery! Imagine
    > my surprise! Filippino. If I was to stop there one day, what
    > do you think I should look for?
    >
    > nancy

    Fresh bamboo shoots?
    Dee Dee

  12. MLI wrote:

    > Banana Ketchup, dried shrimp...those unhatched chicks in a shell...smoked
    > eels, lumpia, tameran <sp?> dried or in a paste

    Surprisingly, my local Safeway carries banana ketchup. (I think I mentioned
    using it on a pierogi not all that long ago.) Many groceries around here
    (Northern California, but not particularly urban or cosmopolitan) also carry
    tamarind paste; I just bought a jar a couple days ago.

    I *wish* I could find the dried shrimp. It's one of those things which is
    essential to much of Malaysian and Thai cooking, but that I can't find
    locally. (I can't find kaffir lime leaves either.) Nancy, if you like that
    kind of food, those are definitely two must-have ingredients.

    The unhatched chicks are called "balut." (Handy information to have just in
    case you see something labeled balut and you're contemplating buying it out
    of curiosity.)

    Bob

  13. aem

    aem Guest

    Nancy Young wrote:
    > In my travels today, I passed an ethnic grocery! Imagine
    > my surprise! Filippino. If I was to stop there one day, what
    > do you think I should look for?

    In the packages of spices and such you'll probably find one for adobo.
    -aem

  14. Nancy Young wrote:

    > Okay, thanks everyone (except Jill ... laugh) ... now I have a list
    > written down, what to get and what to avoid. No unborn chicks
    > in one column, guess which one. (smile) nancy

    My local corner store is owned by Pilipinos and they have a bunch of
    "ethnic" stuff in the back (who on earth they sell it to I don't know, but
    it's handy to have it around). I pick up a lot of stuff there, it is cheap
    and handy...

    I buy sweet chili sauce (Mae Ploy brand, actually from Thailand), the
    afore - mentioned banana ketchup, soy and fish sauces, tinned sardines in
    tomato sauce...coconut milk. This place carries frozen meat - filled buns,
    they are okay. Others here have mentioned the sausage, it's all right...

    One really handy thing I buy is Knorr brand tamarind soup base. It's sour -
    ness makes it good for marinades, etc. It is imported from the
    Philippines...

    When I make rice for stir - fry I put a can of coconut milk and a cup or two
    of this tamarind soup base in the rice cooker, it is rich but has a nice
    citrus - y tang to it...

    One brand of soup/stew/gravy bases, etc. you might see is the "Mama Sita's"
    brand. Some are interesting and tasty, some downright vile. They are cheap
    (two for a buck or less) so experiment if you so desire...

    If you are into palm oil you'll find that too...

    There are Philippine brands of canned meats, I've never ventured to try
    them...

    There are some interesting canned oriental fruits...

    Philippine cuisine is a "poor" cuisine, it's ingredients are very humble.
    Lotsa starch, cheap saturated fats...it's not spicy compared to other Asian
    cuisines, it's actually closer to other bland Pacific Island cuisines, e.g.
    Hawaii, etc. There is also something of a Spanish influence...

    --
    Best
    Greg

  15. -L.

    -L. Guest

    Nancy Young wrote:
    > "Mr Libido Incognito" <[email protected]> wrote
    >
    > > Nancy Young wrote on 08 Feb 2006 in rec.food.cooking
    > >
    > >> In my travels today, I passed an ethnic grocery! Imagine
    > >> my surprise! Filippino. If I was to stop there one day, what
    > >> do you think I should look for?

    > > Banana Ketchup, dried shrimp...those unhatched chicks in a shell...smoked
    > > eels, lumpia, tameran <sp?> dried or in a paste

    > Okay, thanks everyone (except Jill ... laugh) ... now I have a list
    > written down, what to get and what to avoid. No unborn chicks
    > in one column, guess which one. (smile) nancy

    We had one in our old neighborhood - they carried some nice fruits and
    veggies I couldn't get elsewhere. One thta comes to mind is kinchay
    which is like a pungent celery - great for stir-fry.

    -L.