Filippo Simeoni gesture to victims of 9/11

whiteboytrash

Mar 9, 2005
http://news.bbc.co.uk/sport1/hi/other_sports/1567222.stm

Filippo Simeoni
(born in Desio, province of Milan, August 17, 1971) is an Italian cyclist. His most important victories were the two stages he won in the Vuelta a España in 2001 and 2003.

More than for his prestations, Simeoni is known for his 'rebellious' actions. During the 18th stage win in the 2001 Vuelta he stopped just before the finish line and walked across the finish line with his bike in his hands. He did so as a tribute to the victims of the September 11, 2001 attacks. Later the Union Cycliste Internationale fined him for this.

“I'm a thinker and I wanted to make people think again about the sport. I wanted to say that sport is an ideal activity for helping young people mature in life… The gesture of raising my bike above my head was also meant as a protest against the terrorists attacks in New York. Sport has to make peace gestures like this. We've had enough of war. Cyclists shouldn't have to feel distant from events that happen away from racing. I know a lot of cyclists who feel the same way that I do, but they don't say anything because the opportunity doesn't present itself. The important thing is that people understand that sport is a healthy thing to do.”

So what point are you making posting this?

whiteboytrash said:

Filippo Simeoni
(born in Desio, province of Milan, August 17, 1971) is an Italian cyclist. His most important victories were the two stages he won in the Vuelta a España in 2001 and 2003.

More than for his prestations, Simeoni is known for his 'rebellious' actions. During the 18th stage win in the 2001 Vuelta he stopped just before the finish line and walked across the finish line with his bike in his hands. He did so as a tribute to the victims of the September 11, 2001 attacks. Later the Union Cycliste Internationale fined him for this.

“I'm a thinker and I wanted to make people think again about the sport. I wanted to say that sport is an ideal activity for helping young people mature in life… The gesture of raising my bike above my head was also meant as a protest against the terrorists attacks in New York. Sport has to make peace gestures like this. We've had enough of war. Cyclists shouldn't have to feel distant from events that happen away from racing. I know a lot of cyclists who feel the same way that I do, but they don't say anything because the opportunity doesn't present itself. The important thing is that people understand that sport is a healthy thing to do.”

whiteboytrash said:

Filippo Simeoni

Simeoni did it because he is an attention seeking headline grabbing shitweasal.
No one anywhere thinks that a cyclist crossing a line and lifting up his bike is anything but showboating.

whiteboytrash said:

Filippo Simeoni

It was a strange gesture to make by Simeoni.
I appreciate his reasoning though.

limerickman said:
It was a strange gesture to make by Simeoni.
I appreciate his reasoning though.
I think the post is about representation; what we think and what we see and what we are told are very different things. He is a nutter but there is some good in him.

Some on this forum have called him a 'weasel' but from this he has displayed here is erratic but he believes in the good and the truth and believes in his own convictions. This in a some way breaks some of the anti-American sentiment that has built up between him (Simoeni) and Armstrong. I rest my case.