Filling tire cuts

>Not true. There are colored motorcycle tires available now.

Darn. And I was hoping that at least the mechanized side of the sport
still had some sense of function ahead of form.

clean with CHO isopropyl from the drug store-wal has a 90% solution -
fill with GOOP - press in with water bottle rectangle -
i have a tube of household GOOP that's excellent over the outdoors or
marine GOOP but who knows where that goes right?

Its the trash in the sand like glass,nails,
wire.staples,road flare spikes,not the tire. I had a pretty good winter
since the lack of snow leads to less trash sand leads to less flats.

bill wrote:
>> Not true. There are colored motorcycle tires available now.

> Darn. And I was hoping that at least the mechanized side of the sport
> still had some sense of function ahead of form.

??? The motorcycle industry is almost as nerdy as the bicycle industry.
Carbon fiber this, that, and the other. Granted, it's far more expensive,
but...

Some colored-tread tires.
http://blogs.motorbiker.org/blogs.nsf/dx/05132004123208MWEED5.htm

Back when they were first released, I read that they were old tire casings
re-treaded with the colored stuff. The mags said that the grip was just as
good as black carbon... and nobody cries payola... *sigh*.

--
Phil, Squid-in-Training

bill wrote:
> SNIP
> Jay Beattie wrote:
>> This (w)hole thing reminds
>> me of people who preen their chains with coconut oil every night
>> and worry about the luster on their saddle rivets. Are they
>> retired with nothing to do?

> :-D
>
> It is the ultimate Fred-nerd convention.

We should simply recommend them to slit the sidewall of their tires so they
have to throw them away.
--
Phil, Squid-in-Training

[email protected] aka Jobst Brandt wrote:

> What you do see is hocus-pocus. But that's standard for the bicycle
> business. Just look at the tread patterns and explain what that is
> about.

Come on Jobst - admit you want a set of these tires:
<http://www.ryderbmx.com/Images/ProductImages/291330a0-79c6-45cc-a6bc-e183b824f8fdBig.gif>.
;)

> The same goes for colored tread compounds that you wont find
> anywhere but on bicycle tires.

I have seen several "Celeste Verde" Bianchi bicycles with matching
colored tires. Yuk!

--
Tom Sherman

more-homedepot has a lexan or polycarbonate glue in the lexan
area-this is a relatively new glue and is useful for what else?
inquiry to 3M or Loctite information on filling tread/carcass holes
with glue may provide more information...

http://industrial-adhesives.globals...ls_Chemicals/Adhesives/Polyurethane_Adhesives

http://info.loctite.com/?source=globalspec

http://www.loctite.us/int_henkel/loctite_us/index.cfm?pageid=325&layout=2

http://www.loctite.us/int_henkel/loctite_us/index.cfm?pageid=325&layout=2

the Adhesive Sourcebook - LT-3355

see the application notes box on the left - polyurethane has no app
notes??

today the cafe group - back from killing animals - tells me that polyur
works gud on rubbah!?

one advanced thought level - the patch seperates from the tread as the
carcass and tread flex at different speeds - examine patch(s) after
30-100 miles and there should be a gap between tread and patch
fill the gap! and resurface - cleaning grit from gap first off course
butbutbutbut howabout a two compound patch - one adhesive to bond to
carcass as the main patch - then another adhesive to bond to tread then
to first patch material at the gap
or a two strata patch using different adhesives
or...

[email protected] wrote:
> http://industrial-adhesives.globals...ls_Chemicals/Adhesives/Polyurethane_Adhesives
>
> http://info.loctite.com/?source=globalspec
>
> http://www.loctite.us/int_henkel/loctite_us/index.cfm?pageid=325&layout=2
>

> http://www.loctite.us/int_henkel/loctite_us/index.cfm?pageid=325&layout=2
>
> the Adhesive Sourcebook - LT-3355
>
> see the application notes box on the left - polyurethane has no app
> notes??
>
> today the cafe group - back from killing animals - tells me that polyur
> works gud on rubbah!?
>
> one advanced thought level - the patch seperates from the tread as the
> carcass and tread flex at different speeds - examine patch(s) after
> 30-100 miles and there should be a gap between tread and patch
> fill the gap! and resurface - cleaning grit from gap first off course
> butbutbutbut howabout a two compound patch - one adhesive to bond to
> carcass as the main patch - then another adhesive to bond to tread then
> to first patch material at the gap
> or a two strata patch using different adhesives
> or...

buy a new tyre and get on with life.