Final Bike Advice: Trek 1200 FB vs Giant FCR 2

Andy

Guest
Appologies for posting several times for advice, i have now almost come to my conclusion and am
looking for a final piece on advice to go on between these 2 bikes.

The specs are: http://www.trekbike.co.uk/bikes/road/performance/1200.php
note: i will be going for the flatbar version

and: http://www.giant-bicycles.com/uk/030.000.000/030.000.000.asp?lYear=2003&bikesection=8792&range-
=68&model=9821

If anyone would be kind enough to say which one they would go for [and why] i would appreciate it!
they are roughly the same price £600

Difference i can spot is the Trek has a carbon fork and they have different rims as well [not sure
if there is any quality difference between them though]

Thanks in advance for your help

Andy

p.s. i'm leaning towards the trek, mainly due to the fork and i also heard there frames are of
better quality [not sure if that is true though]

Andy wrote:
> If anyone would be kind enough to say which one they would go for [and why] i would appreciate it!
> they are roughly the same price £600

I can't find any major difference in quality, so I would probably choose the one that would fit me
best (and felt best to ride if could test ride). Total weight would also be a factor for me if there
was much of a difference.

According to the specs, the Giant uses a threaded headset (as opposed to Trek's aheadset) - so it'll
have a quill stem which allows for easier handlebar height adjustment.

I would guess that the Giant is primarily designed with straight bars in mind, where the Trek won't
be - so perhaps the Giant's geometry will work out better in practice. But I'm not at all sure about
that - just a thought.

~PB

Andy wrote:
> Appologies for posting several times for advice, i have now almost come to my conclusion and am
> looking for a final piece on advice to go on between these 2 bikes.
>
> The specs are: http://www.trekbike.co.uk/bikes/road/performance/1200.php
> note: i will be going for the flatbar version
>
> and: http://www.giant-bicycles.com/uk/030.000.000/030.000.000.asp?lYear=2003&bikesection=8792&ran-
> ge=68&model=9821
>
> If anyone would be kind enough to say which one they would go for [and why] i would appreciate it!
> they are roughly the same price £600
>
> Difference i can spot is the Trek has a carbon fork and they have different rims as well [not sure
> if there is any quality difference between them though]

I rented a Trek 1200 a few months ago. It was an older model without carbon forks. It seemed quite
light, rigid and a REAL boneshaker. I reckon the carbon forks are worth quite a bit on a rigid
aluminium framed bike.

Pete

> Thanks in advance for your help
>
> Andy
>
> p.s. i'm leaning towards the trek, mainly due to the fork and i also heard there frames are of
> better quality [not sure if that is true though]

"Andy" <[email protected]> wrote in message
news:[email protected]...
> Appologies for posting several times for advice, i have now almost come to my conclusion and am
> looking for a final piece on advice to go on between these 2 bikes.
>
> The specs are: http://www.trekbike.co.uk/bikes/road/performance/1200.php
> note: i will be going for the flatbar version
>
> and:
http://www.giant-bicycles.com/uk/030.000.000/030.000.000.asp?lYear=2003&bikesection=8792&range=68&-
model=9821

> If anyone would be kind enough to say which one they would go for [and why] i would appreciate it!
> they are roughly the same price £600
>
> Difference i can spot is the Trek has a carbon fork and they have different rims as well [not sure
> if there is any quality difference between them though]
>
> Thanks in advance for your help
>
> Andy
>
> p.s. i'm leaning towards the trek, mainly due to the fork and i also heard there frames are of
> better quality [not sure if that is true though]

I'd go for the Giant as it's specifically designed for flatbars. I had the FCR3 last year and it's a
quality machine so you'll love the FCR2. Ultimately it's whatever you feel most comfortable on as
you're the guy who'll be doing thousands of miles on it!

Good luck whatever you decide.

Saint

ahhh .. i'm now tempted by the Saracen Razor too!!! any idea what that is like ?