Final question before I buy my first bike

redmarkerdown

Jun 11, 2006
So I've racked up $1500usd for my first bike, apparel and acces. But, i've been thinking too much and have developed a new dilemma.

Purchase A
I buy a cheaper bike, better apparel and better acces. that can be carried on to my next bike.

Or. . .

Purchase B
I buy a nicer bike with the cheapest apparel, and then slowly upgrade the apparel and then buy a new bike.

or am I just thinking to far ahead and should just listen to the salesperson. And yes I'm about 95% sure I'll continue this sport and won't fall away, since I know someone will ask.

Thanks

I started out with a good entry level bike and cheap, generic brand apparel. I figured it would be cheaper to update my clothing in the short term, rather than updating my bike in the short term. If you buy a cheap bike now and update in six months time (when you realise you shouldn't have purchased the cheap bike to start with) you're going to get next to nothing when selling your secondhand bike. Buy a good bike now.

I've never regretted buying my $1500 bike as an entry level. Shimano 105 gears are really smooth changing, the bike is nice to ride and I know I don't have to upgrade anytime soon because the bike is perfectly okay for competitive riding or just personal training.

Buy a good bike, you can buy more clothing at any point afterwards and still use the older clothing for days when you haven't done the washing.
You can't keep using upgraded parts unless you buy another entire bike. Good clothing won't make you feel faster, a good bike will.
Make sure you get comfortable shoes and a good helmet though!

Get the better bike. Bike shops make more margin out of accessories than bikes, so don't listen to them.

A good bike will serve you better than apparel and accessories.

Buy a 1970s french light weight bike off craigslist. Then spend the $1400 upgrading.

Dexter1225 said:
Laugh all you want. The original poster was talking about acccessories. If you want to be styling at the bike race I suggest buying a 70's Eddy Merckx Windsor and fitting it out with top notch parts. My guess is if you do all the work, $1000. That leaves $500 for accessories that say Moltoni or Merckx on them.

Go for the better bike. I just bought a TREK 2.1 spa. I love it. as for as clothes go to a sports apparel shop and buy "Under Armor" clothes. They work well for wicking and they don't look bad either. Not many Logo's but it's $40 without logo's $110 with. Concentrate on the bike not the clothes. As for accessories all you need is a pump, patch kit, tire levelers, a spare tube and an under seat bag to put it all in. Also don't forget your helmet and cellphone in case you meet a bad driver.

So I've got a list of the essentials for all cyclists, obviously I won't be buying all of these at once so, if someone would be so kind as to put these in order of importance at this point in time that would be awesome.

Thanks

Bike
2 extra tubes always on hand
patch kit
pump
co2 with 4 charges
tire levers
2 bottle cages
2 bottles
clipless pedals
shoes
socks
cyclo computer
heart rate monitor
gloves (short fingers)
gloves (full finger, cold)
jerseys
bib shorts
arm warmers
leg warmers
head warmer/skull cap
glasses
neoprene shoe covers
jacket
cold weather tights
Under-seat bag to hold it all
Helmet
ID & Cellphone
upgraded saddle
Lube + degreaser
copy of Zinn and the art of Road bike maintanaince
Floor pump
mini tool kit
Frame Pump
Repair kit
small tools
tires

redmarkerdown said:
So I've got a list of the essentials for all cyclists, obviously I won't be buying all of these at once so, if someone would be so kind as to put these in order of importance at this point in time that would be awesome.

Thanks

Bike
2 extra tubes always on hand
patch kit
pump
co2 with 4 charges
tire levers
2 bottle cages
2 bottles
clipless pedals
shoes
socks
cyclo computer
heart rate monitor
gloves (short fingers)
gloves (full finger, cold)
jerseys
bib shorts
arm warmers
leg warmers
head warmer/skull cap
glasses
neoprene shoe covers
jacket
cold weather tights
Under-seat bag to hold it all
Helmet
ID & Cellphone
upgraded saddle
Lube + degreaser
copy of Zinn and the art of Road bike maintanaince
Floor pump
mini tool kit
Frame Pump
Repair kit
small tools
tires

Bike......(#1)
2 extra tubes always on hand......(yes)
patch kit....(don't need it. Buy 2 spare tubes)
pump.....(get a floor pump and a co2 pump for your saddle bag)
co2 with 4 charges....(yes, this is a must)
tire levers......(yes. Cheap)
2 bottle cages......(yes)
2 bottles.......(yes)
clipless pedals......(may come with bike..otherwise buy Forte pedals from performance for cheap)

shoes.....(yes)
socks........(cheap at performance or Nashbar)
cyclo computer....(can be had for 20 bucks online, Pperformancebike.com)
heart rate monitor........(don't need it right now!!)
gloves (short fingers)......(later)
gloves (full finger, cold).....(later)
jerseys........ (buy 2 from Performance...cheap)
bib shorts......(buy 2 from performance)
arm warmers.....(later)
leg warmers.....(later)
head warmer/skull cap.........(not now)
glasses...... (Performance Vega for 22 bucks. 3 sets of lenses and case included. Very good. I have them)
neoprene shoe covers........(waste of money now)
jacket.....(later)
cold weather tights......(later)
Under-seat bag to hold it all.....(need it...go to performancebike.com)
Helmet....(yes)
ID & Cellphone......(yes)
upgraded saddle...........(can wait. Try stock saddle and see if its good)
Lube + degreaser.........(Yes. Cheap)
copy of Zinn and the art of Road bike maintanaince...........(later)
Floor pump......(Yes)
mini tool kit....(get allen wrench set now. Add more tools later)
Frame Pump...(yes, CO2. See above)
Repair kit.....(later)
small tools.....(later)
tires(comes with bike....get spare tubes for now. Upgrade tires later)

Don't forget the trailer hitch for the bike to haul all that stuff. J/k I know noone is going to try to carry all that gear.