Finally bought a bike - not a Monocog - but I am no longer a depressed sack

Discussion in 'Road Cycling' started by Lobo Tommy, Apr 9, 2004.

  1. Lobo Tommy

    Lobo Tommy Guest

    Well I called the owners of the LBS and cancelled my order on the
    Monocog. Quite simply I couldn't live with myself. I didn't want to
    buy a used bike as someone suggested to hold over until it arrived. I
    HAD to have a bike NOW. I know - the typical attitude of not waiting.
    But after nights of coming home to 50+ degree weather with the sun
    out and people riding I always went to bed in a deep depression. Like
    I NEEDED to be out there riding too...

    I was like a fish out of water...

    So I went to the local bicycle dealer and purchased a Trek 7300FX. I
    know, after torturing the newsgroups about single speeds WTF? Part of
    me worried that due to the hilly areas at my bike paths that it would
    do harm to my knees - but yeah - mostly I needed a bike. I needed a
    bike bad.

    I love my Trek 7300FX to bits. I bought it on sale for $399. Yeah,
    it's going to be more maintenance. But I'll be a bit wiser for it. I
    really can't decide if I am scared of the maintenance or I'm just
    lazy. I'm leaning towards lazy.

    The 7300FX by the way is oddly more comfortable than the Navigator 400
    I also rode.

    Anyway I was properly fitted, took the bike out for a spin, and bought
    it on the spot. I'm also down on weight - 275 lbs (thank you Atkins).
    So while I believe the wheels with high PSI tires will hold up it is
    really an incentive for me to lose as much weight as fast as I can.

    Why am I posting this? I just wanted to give people who helped me an
    update so they don't feel like their opinions weren't in vain. That
    is to say, I never did buy the bike people recommended but at the same
    time I did infact buy a bicycle.

    So thanks! It's beautiful outside - I think I am going to take a
    ride...

    PS: A note to Redline - you need to do something about your
    distribution network. I could have a Trek in any form and in any size
    within 1-3 days. I think 4+ weeks for a single speed bike is nuts.
    I'd wait 4+ weeks for a Phil Wood PISSOFF but not for a Monocog. Over
    and out!

    Tags:

  2. On Fri, 09 Apr 2004 13:22:47 -0700, Lobo Tommy wrote:

    > So thanks! It's beautiful outside - I think I am going to take a
    > ride...

    And thats all that matters.

    --
    Matt

    Fear of a flat planet

  3. Zoot Katz

    Zoot Katz Guest

    9 Apr 2004 13:22:47 -0700,
    <[email protected]>,
    [email protected] (Lobo Tommy) wrote:

    >So thanks! It's beautiful outside - I think I am going to take a
    >ride...

    That's what it's about. Remember, you can still get lots of enjoyment
    from riding when it ain't so nice too.
    --
    zk

  4. Paladin

    Paladin Guest

    [email protected] (Lobo Tommy) wrote in message news:<[email protected]>...
    > Well I called the owners of the LBS and cancelled my order on the
    > Monocog. Quite simply I couldn't live with myself. I didn't want to
    > buy a used bike as someone suggested to hold over until it arrived. I
    > HAD to have a bike NOW. I know - the typical attitude of not waiting.
    > But after nights of coming home to 50+ degree weather with the sun
    > out and people riding I always went to bed in a deep depression. Like
    > I NEEDED to be out there riding too...
    >
    > I was like a fish out of water...
    > PS: A note to Redline - you need to do something about your
    > distribution network. I could have a Trek in any form and in any size
    > within 1-3 days. I think 4+ weeks for a single speed bike is nuts.
    > I'd wait 4+ weeks for a Phil Wood PISSOFF but not for a Monocog. Over
    > and out!

    To roughly simulate the experience, keep it in the middle ring and 3
    or 4 in the back, don't shift, and make sure you lock out any
    suspension.

    just a thought bein's I'm half an hour away from what I know will be a
    grrrreat SS ride.

    paladin

  5. Lobo Tommy wrote:

    > So I went to the local bicycle dealer and purchased a Trek 7300FX. I
    > know, after torturing the newsgroups about single speeds WTF? Part of
    > me worried that due to the hilly areas at my bike paths that it would
    > do harm to my knees - but yeah - mostly I needed a bike. I needed a
    > bike bad.

    Nothing to stop you from running your multi-speed in
    one speed only!

    I personally would *never* have only one bike that was
    a single speed. The technology of triple chainrings
    and 8,9,10 cogs is there for the taking! Make use of
    it, and save the single-speed for when you develop a
    stable of special purpose bikes.

    Stephen "Lot's 'o Gears and Using Them All" Harding