Finally found the noise

Gags

Guest
Well......it took me a while but I finally located the source of the noise
on my roadie.

As per previous post.....I replaced headset bearings after finding them to
be pretty dry and rusty...no good.

I then undid all of the bolts in the headset, cleaned and lightly greased
them......noise was still there.

I pulled out the bottom bracket and it was pretty well stuffed......was
quite hard to spin around and was grinding a bit. Put in a new one that I
had lying around (I also took off the cassette, chain, deraillieur,
chainwheels and gave them all a degrease). Got everything back together and
the noise was still there.

Now I am getting a bit worried that there might be a crack somewhere in the
frame that I couldn't see....I did a couple more laps up and down the street
and realised that I couldn't get the noise to happen when I was standing
up!!

Took the seatpost out of the frame.....cleaned up the clamp and greased the
bolt before putting it all back on the bike.....Noise is gone - woot!!

I am a bit ****** that all it was in the end was the seatpost clamp but I am
glad in a way as I ended up catching the rusty headset before it got beyond
repair, discovered the bottom bracket was stuffed (I think I only got about
13,000km or so out of it), and did the driveline. All in all it cost me
about $5 or so for the two new bearings for the headset (I had bought the BB
as part of a bulk lot from Ebay some time ago).

Thanks to all those who provided advice although I am sure that I could have
done it a lot quicker if I had half a dozen or so people around telling me
what to do (like changing a tyre in front of the BR crowd) :)

Ride On,

Gags

Gags said:
Well......it took me a while but I finally located the source of the noise
on my roadie.

Took the seatpost out of the frame.....cleaned up the clamp and greased the
bolt before putting it all back on the bike.....Noise is gone - woot!!
Nice to see it was something so simple ... and cheap. Saw a guy with a principia ali/carbon rear that had cracked around the BB shell, and out of warranty ... the pain, the pain =(

till

On Sun, 3 Apr 2005 20:55:54 +1000, Gags wrote:

> Thanks to all those who provided advice although I am sure that I could have
> done it a lot quicker if I had half a dozen or so people around telling me
> what to do (like changing a tyre in front of the BR crowd) :)

That's where roadworks gangs got their working model.

--
bpo gallery at http://www4.tpgi.com.au/users/mvw1/bpo

Michael Warner said:
On Sun, 3 Apr 2005 20:55:54 +1000, Gags wrote:

> Thanks to all those who provided advice although I am sure that I could have
> done it a lot quicker if I had half a dozen or so people around telling me
> what to do (like changing a tyre in front of the BR crowd) :)

That's where roadworks gangs got their working model.

must remember to bring a shovel to lean on next time :rolleyes:

<gags_44nospamatnospamtpg.com.au> wrote:

>Took the seatpost out of the frame.....cleaned up the clamp and greased the
>bolt before putting it all back on the bike.....Noise is gone - woot!!
>

>Gags

It's ALWAYS seatpost/clamp related. ALWAYS!

Fip said:
It's ALWAYS seatpost/clamp related. ALWAYS!

oooh.oooooh.

is it too early to turn that into a tasteless 'pope' joke ???

F "Does a pope sh1t in the woods?"Dutch

On Sun, 3 Apr 2005 21:53:49 +1000, till!
<[email protected]> wrote:

>Gags Wrote:
>> Well......it took me a while but I finally located the source of the
>> noise
>> on my roadie.
>>
>> Took the seatpost out of the frame.....cleaned up the clamp and
>> greased the
>> bolt before putting it all back on the bike.....Noise is gone - woot!!

>Nice to see it was something so simple ... and cheap. Saw a guy with a
>principia ali/carbon rear that had cracked around the BB shell, and out
>of warranty ... the pain, the pain =(

Trek have a lifetime warranty :)