Finally getting into cycling, need some help with equipments

MNX1024

Oct 1, 2010
Last year I bought a Jamis Allegro 3x for recreational and traveling purposes. Now I'm thinking of serious getting into cycling. So, I plan on upgrading my bike and getting some equipments. Therefore, I need everyone's expertise here. /img/vbsmilies/smilies/biggrin.gif

Anyway, before I begin with the questions, I would like to say that I'm still using stock parts on my bike. Here's a link to my bike:
http://www.jamisbikes.com/usa/thebikes/street/allegro/09_allegro3x.html

First of all, what I want to do is try to swap out some parts so I can make my bike go faster. I've asked around a bit, I was told to upgrade to new wheels, crank set, hubs, or tire (This came from several different people). I actually don't mind doing all of the above or at least most of it if prices are reasonable. I would like to know what you guys would recommend me to get (please do list the exact part name and the price, model number <-- if possible).

For the tires. I do plan on swapping them for thinner tires sooner or later regardless of my upgrade. So, what type of tires should I get? And what size do you guys recommend?

I plan on losing the suspension fork. So I need some help choosing one. I do plan on keeping the disc breaks. Also, what would you guys recommend, aluminum or carbon fiber? For CF forks, I was told to get a Winwood, what do you guys think of that?

Also, what type of bottle cage is recommended? What do you guys think of this one: http://www.performancebike.com/bikes/Product_10052_10551_1091724_-1_1552500_20000_400027?

I also need help choosing a bottle too. Preferable something that is 20oz + and can fit on most bottle cage. Also, I do notice some bottles have gel, may I ask what the heck is that?

Now, that concludes all my questions for now. I hope it's not too many questions and they don't sound too newbish. /img/vbsmilies/smilies/tongue.gif

The best advice I can give is to get a really good pair of bibshorts. I found a pair on e-bay and even if I go a week between rides I'm in no pain. It sounds like you have been given the right advice with what to start with. I just got into cycling again last spring and have found that product review sites have been very helpful(roadbikereview.com).

K

The only change I'd suggest that will make economic sense is the tires. Even if you just add drop bars, you have to buy shifters (brifters), bars and probably a stem. That's going to run into some serious money. Assuming that you're talking about getting into serious road riding, sell the bike and look at new, or this year's models on sale, or slightly used road bikes. If you decide to keep this one (or until you save up enough for a new bike), I'd suggest 25c tires. I'm not an expert in tire brands, but I've always liked Continental for serious road riding. For cost, Performance makes a variety of tires that all good value. good luck.