finally got a road bike

pedalforrest

Jun 7, 2012
evening fellow riders,
Iam new to the forum & very pleased to be here. I have been riding a hardtail mountain bike on roads for about 2yrs when i decided to change over to a road bike. I finally got my got my bike today, & took it out for the first ride,& had a flat.I got it fixed, went out again & had another flat. any advice on tubes & tires.

I started out with flats also this week. My first week riding. I didn't see any good tube reviews. I found that puzzling.

i use Vittoria zaffiro tyres and ive never had a puncture or flat and im on my 2rd set of them in one year (i cover lots of miles each ride approx 85-90miles) i ride at least 3 times a week

i also use GIANT 700 18-23c presta standard inner tubes (89mm thick wall, 32mm threaded presta valve)

NOTE: R you sure that your rim tape is not causing the problem as it could be damaging your inner tubes

Also, are you inflating your tires enough? I didn't get any flats, but when I got a road bike again after riding Mtn for 20 yrs, I was all messed up. Realized my compressor had a Gauger so I filled them with that and they were HARD! Sent from my DROID RAZR using Tapatalk 2

Originally Posted by Daryl Pickering .

i use Vittoria zaffiro tyres and ive never had a puncture or flat
On my front wheel, my Vittoria tube is 8 years old and never a flat : )

Well, I think everyone is comfortable in the knowledge that no bike inner tubes have walls 89mm thick. What do the punctures look like? Are you getting two holes in the tube at once or only one?

I've been getting the same issues....flats or loss of air after riding only 20 or so miles. They're usually inflated to the max when i start off. Interested in hearing the advice of others here...

Flats are a common nuisance for roadies. Good rim strip, tires and tubes will help to reduce the occurrence. Also consider that riding technique and maintenance will also reduce the number of flats you encounter. Don't treat your road bike like a mountain bike, keep the tires inflated, ride around debris and clean out fragments stuck to and embedded in your tires before they cause a flat.

There is a lot more info here regarding recurring flats; to much to repeat. Try the search feature, it works pretty well.

depends on budget. ive been riding michelin pro 2s, then pro3s, never had a problem./img/vbsmilies/smilies/biggrin.gif

thanks so much for all the helpful info.I purchased two Maxxis Re-fuse tires Friday. I rode Sat. morning & this morning without a flat./img/vbsmilies/smilies/icon14.gif