Finally ordered my bike!

archermd

May 1, 2007
So after much confusion, shooping, forum lurking, and about a dozen trips to lbs, I did it. Ordered a Specialized TriCross Comp Tiple, size 54. The guy there, the main one most bikers at that shop seem to gravitate to (I have been there enough to see a pattern) did me a huge service. I was all set to get a 56 or bigger, since I can stand over them and other folks had said that's what I needed, but he thought with a short in-seam a 54 would be a better fit and made me try a few frames to check. He was right. He plans a full measured fitting once it arrives and is built. He expects to adjust the seat on the rails, handle-bar angle, and has offered to swap stems and tweak the bike until it fits me properly. I asked about buying a maintenance plan. He said all bikes purchased there get 1 year of free full service. Other shops here in expensive norther NJ have offered to sell me maintenance packages. I am liking this lbs more each day. May seem trivial to some, but they have already spent hours with me and just finally got my first dollars today. They have invested time and patience in getting my dollar investment, and that works for me just fine. Now all I need to do is decide on a computer, lights, bags, etc... and start riding. Will start with regular pedals, since it will be difficult to fine an extra wide cleat shoe for my wide but short feet. I am so excited, and send my since THANKS to all on these forums who offered there kind and patient advice. More to follow once I am out there riding. Be safe y'all.

Hey good for you! I was wondering if you had actually gone and ordered a bike, or was still contemplating!

Where I come from, what the LBS did is basic standard service, I would expect anything less.

Wide feet, Shimano has wide feet sizing, as do SIDI.

I would suggest that you get acquainted with basic bike maintenance (ie get a book, or search on the website). As you ride the bike more, you will want to make some minor tweaks to the fitting as your body adjusts to the riding position. Handlebar wrap needs re-wrapping because you saw that funky yellow color, etc. Also mechanically, cables stretch, brake pads need some tweaking, adjust the shifting, nothing the bike shop wont do for free, but its easier to do it yourself in 2 mins, and then go riding!

Hope you enjoy your bike. Post some pics.

thanks for the help and support
picking up my bike tomorrow
had a specialized comp elite 2 computer installed
will order topeak rack and trunk bag
still need a light set
ready to ride
will post pics when i can
thanks again to all fellow riders for the help...