Finally returned home after 3 weeks of evacuation from Katrina!!!

jaguar75 said:
Just out of curiosity...I wonder how this thread migrated to elitism and golf?:confused:
I suspect because Estate & tax cuts go "hand in hand" w/ golf, no :confused: :D No serioiusly, I was addressing poverty & golf came up.

it is not cost prohibitive if you hop the fence and/or go after hours and "poach" a round or two...
just wear some argyle kneesocks to blend in. I can loan you some.

davidmc said:
OK. What are the cost of greens fee's & clubs :confused: not to mention club membership.

ah, welfare and all social services are an emotional issue in the greater us budgetary view of things, as the military spending alone dwarfs what is spent in those directions. and don't forget to leave the corporate welfare, tax evasion, subsidies, loan favoritism, double dipping, high bid contracts for homeland security and e-voting machines, moving of jobs offshore, weapons sales, insider stock market manipulations, special interest lobbying,
corporate donations to indebted lawmakers, legal money laundering and offshore banking of the fortune 500 out of the picture, else emotions will gain the clarity afforded by fiscal reality.

The thanks seems contrary when held up to the light of economic fact.

"but those folks gotta understand, we have a nation to protect from terrorism"
-pres select bush

"and that's kind of scary" -Mrs. Bush

zapper said:
Don't forget to send me a "thank you" card...

lyotard said:
ah, welfare and all social services are an emotional issue in the greater us budgetary view of things, as the military spending alone dwarfs what is spent in those directions. and don't forget to leave the corporate welfare, tax evasion, subsidies, loan favoritism, double dipping, high bid contracts for homeland security and e-voting machines, moving of jobs offshore, weapons sales, insider stock market manipulations, special interest lobbying,
corporate donations to indebted lawmakers, legal money laundering and offshore banking of the fortune 500 out of the picture, else emotions will gain the clarity afforded by fiscal reality.

The thanks seems contrary when held up to the light of economic fact.

"but those folks gotta understand, we have a nation to protect from terrorism"
-pres select bush

"and that's kind of scary" -Mrs. Bush
Ah yes, the gov'ts deception of thier outlays.
"The Government Deception

The pie chart below is the government view of the budget. This is a distortion of how our income tax dollars are spent because it includes Trust Funds (e.g., Social Security), and the expenses of past military spending are not distinguished from nonmilitary spending. For a more accurate representation of how your Federal income tax dollar is really spent, see the large chart."

a further innaccurary as shown here is the failure to distiguish the source of these expenditures, for example, social security is deducted seperately from income tax, so this then would inflate the military tax dollar spending
slice 'o american pie proportionately, if the true scoop was shown.

many taxpaying, patriotic veterans i know are increasingly turning anti-bush as they recognize the us military is incapable as a defense or civil force as a result of foriegn invasion and occupation leaving resources inadequate...this has been all too apparent in light of current disasters in the us.

witness the rising membership of the organization, "Veterans For Peace",
many are not even characterizing themselves as pacifist, let alone unpatriotic.
these people provide, to my mind, the greatest influence possible to mainstream america, as to belittle the ideals of those who HAVE served would be truly the ultimate gesture of ingratitude.

davidmc said:
Ah yes, the gov'ts deception of thier outlays.
"The Government Deception

The pie chart below is the government view of the budget. This is a distortion of how our income tax dollars are spent because it includes Trust Funds (e.g., Social Security), and the expenses of past military spending are not distinguished from nonmilitary spending. For a more accurate representation of how your Federal income tax dollar is really spent, see the large chart."

EoinC said:
No idea. How're things going now, Jag?
Well to be honest with you, today was not such a good day. Up until this point I have been very sheltered from the really bad stuff. My buddy, who is a cop, asked me if I wanted to drive through Lake View (The area destroyed by the canal breech) and like an idiot I said yes. Until this point I don't think I have really gotten choked up but as I drove through one of the best neighborhoods in the city and so no one. zero life. Just absolute destruction. I saw the markings on all of the houses that the rescuers spray painted on to indicate that the house had been searched for bodies, I saw only one that had a body count and I just stared at the house and tried to imagine the person that died in it. Then someone told me that it might have been the house where a New Orleans officer killed himself because he went in to find his wife and child had drowned. Let me tell you, I could have gone the rest of my ****ing life without having been told that. We then drove to the lake front and the lake harbor and saw yachts and sail boats and everything else stacked several stories high. It looked as though a large aircraft just hovered over the street and dropped all of the boats. All of the restaurants and bars on the lake that my friends and I partied at since we were teens are completely gone or burned to the ground. All that is left of them are the pylons that once supported them. Everything just looks like a Sci-Fi movie where a virus killed all life and a war had been waged in the streets. The whole area is isolated and quarantined. The Corps erected temporary levees over highway sections to further isolate the area.

I apologise for being so dramatic but I have to be honest and say that a part of me changed today. A part of my fun past with so many memories in that part of the city is now tainted with these new memories of devestation.:(

But you want to know the worst part of it all. The fingers have all started to point and people are going to go to jail over it and its just going to get worse. The politics of it all is going to be worse than the stench that I smell everyday. People, politicians, news agencies, whoever, fly over the city all day in their jets and helicoptors and look down on us like we are ****ing lab rats.

I had better stop. I don't have anymore energy tonight my day is gong to start very early in the morning. I will be able to see my GF for the first time in one month tomorrow, she is coming back home. A definate positive after today.;)

jag, you make clear the first hand intesity of the situation in a way i could not understand from the news reporting. thanks for your updates, i hope this can somehow help with your processing the devastation. i don't know what else to say that would add a positive to this, but we hope you continue to do as well as possible, keep up your strength, take care of yourself.

jaguar75 said:
Well to be honest with you, today was not such a good day. today.;)

Colorado Ryder said:
And I never said golf wasn't predominantly white. I just stated that Tiger is the best.
okay, i agree..

even where i live there is a strange mix of middle aged-middle class fat boys flying off to Florida or Portugal to play golf. They are usually the worst players. Then you get the lads from the local schools who play on the cheaper courses who are really promising. They get funding from the Scottish Sports Council and its really a great opportunity.

the fact that there are very few black players in Scotland is mainly due to the fact that there is a very small percentage of the population that is black compared to the UK demographic as a whole.

its probably the weather...why would anyone move here?

jaguar75 said:
Well to be honest with you, today was not such a good day...
Hang in there, Jag. Just do the best you can and take it one step at a time.

jaguar75 said:
Well to be honest with you, today was not such a good day. Up until this point I have been very sheltered from the really bad stuff. My buddy, who is a cop, asked me if I wanted to drive through Lake View (The area destroyed by the canal breech) and like an idiot I said yes. Until this point I don't think I have really gotten choked up but as I drove through one of the best neighborhoods in the city and so no one. zero life. Just absolute destruction. I saw the markings on all of the houses that the rescuers spray painted on to indicate that the house had been searched for bodies, I saw only one that had a body count and I just stared at the house and tried to imagine the person that died in it. Then someone told me that it might have been the house where a New Orleans officer killed himself because he went in to find his wife and child had drowned. Let me tell you, I could have gone the rest of my ****ing life without having been told that. We then drove to the lake front and the lake harbor and saw yachts and sail boats and everything else stacked several stories high. It looked as though a large aircraft just hovered over the street and dropped all of the boats. All of the restaurants and bars on the lake that my friends and I partied at since we were teens are completely gone or burned to the ground. All that is left of them are the pylons that once supported them. Everything just looks like a Sci-Fi movie where a virus killed all life and a war had been waged in the streets. The whole area is isolated and quarantined. The Corps erected temporary levees over highway sections to further isolate the area.

I apologise for being so dramatic but I have to be honest and say that a part of me changed today. A part of my fun past with so many memories in that part of the city is now tainted with these new memories of devestation.:(

But you want to know the worst part of it all. The fingers have all started to point and people are going to go to jail over it and its just going to get worse. The politics of it all is going to be worse than the stench that I smell everyday. People, politicians, news agencies, whoever, fly over the city all day in their jets and helicoptors and look down on us like we are ****ing lab rats.

I had better stop. I don't have anymore energy tonight my day is gong to start very early in the morning. I will be able to see my GF for the first time in one month tomorrow, she is coming back home. A definate positive after today.;)
Jag, I hope you fared well this weekend and did not receive any more damgage from Rita...Hang in there buddy...

Jaguar, Thanks for helping us understand what you're seeing. As lyotard said 'you make clear the first hand intensity of the situation in a way i could not understand from the news reporting.'
Please keep posting especially if it helps with the pain. I've talked with a few people who've seen accidents, nothing as bad as what you're going threw but I could just see in their eye's the pain those images caused and know the pain continued for a long time.
Best of luck & wishes.