Finally.. some 'road' pedals!

Peter Signorini said:
"flyingdutch" <[email protected]> wrote in
message news:[email protected]...

> Etxy Wrote:
> >

> > * 14 Iain Treloar *
> >

> aint those points? not placings?

No, count it down. He's also 14th, on 14 points!

Cheers
Peter

True words. :D Strange coincidence, but there you have it.

On a side note, Peter, I'm doing History and Geography for yr.12 next year. You are partially to blame for me liking those subjects. So thankyou! :)

Etxy wrote:

> Brad- I wouldn't suggest trying the blacks (if you want blacks at all)
> until you're pretty happy with the cleat positioning of the reds. I
> change between black and red as it suits me, but you need to be pretty
> careful with the blacks because if they're set wrong they can do some
> damage to your knee.

Hey Etxy,

Why would I want to go to black? What's the advantage?

Pardon my ignorance,
Brad

Brad Hubbard said:
Etxy wrote:

> Brad- I wouldn't suggest trying the blacks (if you want blacks at all)
> until you're pretty happy with the cleat positioning of the reds. I
> change between black and red as it suits me, but you need to be pretty
> careful with the blacks because if they're set wrong they can do some
> damage to your knee.

Hey Etxy,

Why would I want to go to black? What's the advantage?

Pardon my ignorance,
Brad

You hear this "black ones can damage your knees" argument amongst triathletes a lot. It's not proven in any way. Incorrectly set up red cleats will cuase pain as well, it's just that with the red ones there's more room for error in set up (ie. lack of attention to detail) becuasue there is less float.

The black ones have less float, and hence feel heaps better as you are more solidly connected to your bike. If you ever sprint, the balck ones are much harder to pull out (go to any track meet and see what people using clipless pedals have on, you won;t see much red).

And re Blackburn results, you did race, and it's points, not placing:

22/11/03 Jun C Grade Overall: 1 Iain Treloar
25/10/03 JunB Grade Overall: 5th Iain Treloar

Shabby wrote:

> Brad Hubbard Wrote:
> > Etxy wrote:
> >
> > > Brad- I wouldn't suggest trying the blacks (if you want blacks at

> > all)
> > > until you're pretty happy with the cleat positioning of the reds. I
> > > change between black and red as it suits me, but you need to be

> > pretty
> > > careful with the blacks because if they're set wrong they can do

> > some
> > > damage to your knee.

> > Hey Etxy,
> >
> > Why would I want to go to black? What's the advantage?
> >
> > Pardon my ignorance,
> > Brad

> You hear this "black ones can damage your knees" argument amongst
> triathletes a lot. It's not proven in any way. Incorrectly set up red
> cleats will cuase pain as well, it's just that with the red ones
> there's more room for error in set up (ie. lack of attention to detail)
> becuasue there is less float.

<snip>

As a triathlete, I almost resent that generalisation... until I think
about how most of the weekend warriors I see and then I think, yeah,
you're pretty damn dead on there. The reason why I use the red ones is
not because my set up is in error, but rather because my body changes
throughout the week therefore my setup needs to allow for that. As a
cyclist you wouldn't notice it so much because you tend to be doing only
the one activity, once your muscles fall into their pattern of tightness
it's always like that. But when you run, you tighten different muscles
to when you ride. And I get massage to relieve that tightness. If I've
had a big run week, my ITB will be tight, my heels get pulled outwards
wrt cleat. If I've had a massage, they won't. If I've only been cycling
for a few weeks, and not running, my setup begins to feel a bit weird,
but if I go for another 25km run after that, it'll feel weird the
opposite way. So I think that it's really important to have that float
if you do a lot of running, and probably not so important if you don't.
(Note, I'm not talking about people who do 5km three times a week, that
shouldn't make a lick of difference). And yep, it's true, if they're
setup wrong, the red ones will still hurt, but because you have the
float, you're less likely to notice it until you've done a bit of
damage, whereas if you had the black ones on, you'd go, that's weird,
it's hard to unclip because I have no strength in that spot, and I can
feel my ankle/knee pulling strangely every time I pedal...

Tamyka Bell said:
And yep, it's true, if they're
setup wrong, the red ones will still hurt, but because you have the
float, you're less likely to notice it until you've done a bit of
damage..

So you're agreeing with me then...... The issue is more around stretching and massage and cleat setup than black cleats being the root of evil.

*For the record, I did race for a few years with numbers written on my arms in texta before I decided racing in circles was more fun......

Shabby wrote:

> Tamyka Bell Wrote:
> > And yep, it's true, if they're
> > setup wrong, the red ones will still hurt, but because you have the
> > float, you're less likely to notice it until you've done a bit of
> > damage..
> >

> So you're agreeing with me then...... The issue is more around
> stretching and massage and cleat setup than black cleats being the root
> of evil.

Hell yep I'm in full agreement.

> *For the record, I did race for a few years with numbers written on my
> arms in texta before I decided racing in circles was more fun......

I thought racing in circles is what a teams-"triathlete" does on arrival
in transition to tag the next member...

Have you done any triathlons since focussing on cycling? If so I would
be interested to hear how much you improved and how much you attribute
it to cycle training vs just a few more years on the bike.

Tamyka Bell said:
Shabby wrote:

> Tamyka Bell Wrote:
> > And yep, it's true, if they're
> > setup wrong, the red ones will still hurt, but because you have the
> > float, you're less likely to notice it until you've done a bit of
> > damage..
> >

> So you're agreeing with me then...... The issue is more around
> stretching and massage and cleat setup than black cleats being the root
> of evil.

Hell yep I'm in full agreement.

> *For the record, I did race for a few years with numbers written on my
> arms in texta before I decided racing in circles was more fun......

I thought racing in circles is what a teams-"triathlete" does on arrival
in transition to tag the next member...

Have you done any triathlons since focussing on cycling? If so I would
be interested to hear how much you improved and how much you attribute
it to cycle training vs just a few more years on the bike.

Can I field this one too? I started road racing this winter from a tri background. Tri cycling is more about time-trialling: constant high effort for long periods. Road racing has *much* more variation in effort: bunches, attacks, sprints and so forth.

From my experience, tri cycling is a good preparation, but I've had to start doing more sprint intervals in training to cope with variations in power and recovery.

I hope to do some triathlons this summer... have to renew membership etc etc.

Ritch

ritcho wrote:

> Tamyka Bell Wrote:
> > Shabby wrote:

> > the
> > > >

> > > So you're agreeing with me then...... The issue is more around
> > > stretching and massage and cleat setup than black cleats being the

> > root
> > > of evil.

> > Hell yep I'm in full agreement.
> >
> > > *For the record, I did race for a few years with numbers written on

> > my
> > > arms in texta before I decided racing in circles was more fun......

> > I thought racing in circles is what a teams-"triathlete" does on
> > arrival
> > in transition to tag the next member...
> >
> > Have you done any triathlons since focussing on cycling? If so I would
> > be interested to hear how much you improved and how much you attribute
> > it to cycle training vs just a few more years on the bike.

> Can I field this one too? I started road racing this winter from a tri
> background. Tri cycling is more about time-trialling: constant high
> effort for long periods. Road racing has *much* more variation in
> effort: bunches, attacks, sprints and so forth.
>
> From my experience, tri cycling is a good preparation, but I've had to
> start doing more sprint intervals in training to cope with variations
> in power and recovery.
>
> I hope to do some triathlons this summer... have to renew membership
> etc etc.
>
> Ritch
>
> --
> ritcho

Hey, you jumped in! ;-) just kiddin' thanks for that, when you do some
tris let me know how you go. See I wouldn't say the cycle leg is like a
TT for me, it's just torture. Let the run begin... You know cycling is
my least favourite leg of the tri? I think that's just because I suck at
it and it's frustrating. I enjoy my training rides! I have a full-on
year coming up next year, so I think I'll just race short-course and
olympic next season, and then in my tri off-season will start doing some
training with road racing squads. And maybe stop complaining about how
evil the cycle leg is.

Tamyka Bell said:
Have you done any triathlons since focussing on cycling? If so I would
be interested to hear how much you improved and how much you attribute
it to cycle training vs just a few more years on the bike.
Nope, no tris in the last 8 years or so.

A few more years on the bike training with triathletes is never going to be as good for your fitness and bike skills as a few years of racing bikes. Grinding along at your AT is no matchg for sitting 20 beats above it for 5km. You'll also pick up the ability to suffer and maintain a straight line while doing so.

Shabby said:
[snip]
You'll also pick up the ability to suffer and maintain a straight line while doing so.

I've aquired the former, but not the latter :O

Ritch

PS. I use water-wings for the swim. That should give you some idea of my weakest leg...

Shabby wrote:

> Tamyka Bell Wrote:
> > Have you done any triathlons since focussing on cycling? If so I would
> > be interested to hear how much you improved and how much you attribute
> > it to cycle training vs just a few more years on the bike.

> Nope, no tris in the last 8 years or so.
>
> A few more years on the bike training with triathletes is never going
> to be as good for your fitness and bike skills as a few years of racing
> bikes. Grinding along at your AT is no matchg for sitting 20 beats above
> it for 5km. You'll also pick up the ability to suffer and maintain a
> straight line while doing so.
>
> --
> Shabby

See I do that kind of stuff in my training already. We are always
including small time trials in the middle of our rides where we race
each other. Correction, where the others race against each other and I
catch up with them some time later. Only we always do these bits
non-drafting because none of us are elites.

Come to think of it, the fact that we do this training is probably due
to the fact that the coach and several of the athletes have done a few
seasons of road racing. Road racing is scary. I'll do it, but it's
scary. All the cyclists are so INTENSE in the clubs around here... I
think I would need to turn up on my training bike just so I didn't give
myself away as a triathlete, just a gumby who has no idea and none of
the gear...

Tamyka Bell said:
Road racing is scary. I'll do it, but it's
scary. All the cyclists are so INTENSE in the clubs around here... I
think I would need to turn up on my training bike just so I didn't give
myself away as a triathlete, just a gumby who has no idea and none of
the gear...
Road racing is only scary if you're in bunches who aren't used to rubbing shoulders with other people and don't know how to glue themselves to a wheel. I'd be scared in a bunch of triathletes too. Luckily the only ones who can go with all the attacks in a hard training ride are the ones who do a lot of training with cyclists. The rest get dropped, then time trial back on for 5km then get dropped again then time trial to get back on.......

If you want to hide your triathlonliness, might be worth taking off the Spinergys, Profile bars, behind the seat bottle cage, sleeveless jersey and three bidons for a 60km ride?

Shabby wrote:
<snip>
> If you want to hide your triathlonliness, might be worth taking off the
> Spinergys, Profile bars, behind the seat bottle cage, sleeveless jersey
> and three bidons for a 60km ride?
>
> --
> Shabby

Oh, you're not a Queenslander? I think that 3 bidons for 60km in 39
degree heat (Saturday) is quite minimalist... ;-)

I figure if I'm riding with real cyclists I wouldn't have time to access
that much fluid anyway, right?!

Shabby said:
You hear this "black ones can damage your knees" argument amongst triathletes a lot. It's not proven in any way. Incorrectly set up red cleats will cuase pain as well, it's just that with the red ones there's more room for error in set up (ie. lack of attention to detail) becuasue there is less float.

Thankyou, that's what I was trying to say, but I did know what I meant. I'm not a triathlete, either. What I *was* trying to say was that the red ones leave more room for error, and are less fiddly to get into a rideable position. For someone new to clipless pedals, it would be more prudent to get the position approximately right with the reds instead of going straight for the blacks. I agree that Blacks feel better, though. I prefer them, but sometimes just don't have any on hand. I'm riding red at the moment, but now the track season's started I'll probably switch over to blacks. You're a Blackburn member, are you not, Shabby? :)

Shabby said:
And re Blackburn results, you did race, and it's points, not placing:

22/11/03 Jun C Grade Overall: 1 Iain Treloar
25/10/03 JunB Grade Overall: 5th Iain Treloar

Yep, I was on 14 points, but for the aggregate those 14 points meant I was the 14th placed rider. Count down from the top.

:)

"Shabby" <[email protected]
> If you want to hide your triathlonliness, might be worth taking off the
> Spinergys, Profile bars, behind the seat bottle cage, sleeveless jersey
> and three bidons for a 60km ride?

Speaking of Spinergys, which I always associated with
triathletes, I just watched The Hard Road (thanks Adam!)
and noticed that HEAPS of the Cat 1 road/crit racers in
the USA use Spinergy or similar wheels! I never woulda
thunk it.. guess they have more money to burn..

Spot on with the 'road racing makes better triathlete'
Shabby. Even those steady state nutters that do RAAM
(Race Across AMerica?) do interval training as one of
the best ways to get faster.

hippy

"Tamyka Bell" <[email protected]> wrote
> Oh, you're not a Queenslander? I think that 3 bidons for 60km in 39
> degree heat (Saturday) is quite minimalist... ;-)
>
> I figure if I'm riding with real cyclists I wouldn't have time to access
> that much fluid anyway, right?!

You wont see 2 bottles on the frame, 2 bottles
behind the seat and a bottle on the bars on any
self-respecting roadie setup..

Get used to dehydration.

hippy

hippy said:
Speaking of Spinergys, which I always associated with
triathletes, I just watched The Hard Road (thanks Adam!)
and noticed that HEAPS of the Cat 1 road/crit racers in
the USA use Spinergy or similar wheels! I never woulda
thunk it.. guess they have more money to burn..

When I was doing work experience at Cecil Walkers there was some guy who ordered in a set of full carbon fibre Spinergys, everything except the braking surface. First time I'd ever seen any, and boy did I think they were sexy... still do, 'smatter of fact.

I almost bought a set of Spinergy Spox for my old 650c bike. I'm glad I didn't, seeing as I had a growth spurt soon after.

"Etxy" <[email protected]> wrote in message
news:[email protected]...

> hippy Wrote:
> >
> > Speaking of Spinergys, which I always associated with
> > triathletes, I just watched The Hard Road (thanks Adam!)
> > and noticed that HEAPS of the Cat 1 road/crit racers in
> > the USA use Spinergy or similar wheels! I never woulda
> > thunk it.. guess they have more money to burn..
> >

> When I was doing work experience at Cecil Walkers there was some guy
> who ordered in a set of full carbon fibre Spinergys, everything except
> the braking surface. First time I'd ever seen any, and boy did I think
> they were sexy... still do, 'smatter of fact.
>
> I almost bought a set of Spinergy Spox for my old 650c bike. I'm glad I
> didn't, seeing as I had a growth spurt soon after.
>

> --
> Etxy

I've got a pair of the Spinergy four spokes. I've had them for years and
think they're great. They have a "stealth" look.

Marty

hippy wrote:

> "Tamyka Bell" <[email protected]> wrote
> > Oh, you're not a Queenslander? I think that 3 bidons for 60km in 39
> > degree heat (Saturday) is quite minimalist... ;-)
> >
> > I figure if I'm riding with real cyclists I wouldn't have time to access
> > that much fluid anyway, right?!

> You wont see 2 bottles on the frame, 2 bottles
> behind the seat and a bottle on the bars on any
> self-respecting roadie setup..
>
> Get used to dehydration.
>
> hippy

Yeah, I think that one comes from the need to be able to perform after
we get off the bike - no opportunity to just put our feet up with a
cappucino or a latte, we still got a 10km/half/marathon to run...

:p

have a great day. Brisvegan weather is shite today, very humid but no
sun, thought it would rain on me... but no, it just made me sweat like
a... like a thing that sweats alot... think the heat is getting to my
brain...

oops I mean T