Finally! Someone who knows how to stage race.

Discussion in 'Road Cycling' started by Daniel Connelly, Jul 21, 2003.

  1. For years, I've been amazed how riders, fighting for GC with a gap over their rivals, will set
    up and salute as they approach the line, their bikes slowing substantially before they trigger
    the clock.

    Every second counts!!! Dammit, you have to sprint for that line -- the bike length you lose in that
    salute may be the bike length which costs you the second which costs you the tour.

    Finally, someone "takes my advice" :) :
    http://www.raisport.rai.it/pub/static/29800/20030721tour15atappaarmstrong2.jpg

    Tags:

  2. Mike Conway

    Mike Conway Guest

    Since the uphill continued beyond the finish of this stage, it's not likely *anyone* would have
    performed many histrionics at the line...

    Mike C

    >From: Daniel Connelly

    >For years, I've been amazed how riders, fighting for GC with a gap over their rivals, will set
    >up and salute as they approach the line, their bikes slowing substantially before they trigger
    >the clock.
    >
    >Every second counts!!! Dammit, you have to sprint for that line -- the bike length you lose in that
    >salute may be the bike length which costs you the second which costs you the tour.
    >
    >Finally, someone "takes my advice" :) :
    >
    >http://www.raisport.rai.it/pub/static/29800/20030721tour15atappaarmstrong2.jpg

  3. Iamn2speed

    Iamn2speed Guest

    "Daniel Connelly" <[email protected]> wrote in message
    news:[email protected]...
    > For years, I've been amazed how riders, fighting for GC with a gap over their rivals, will set
    > up and salute as they approach the line, their bikes slowing substantially before they trigger
    > the clock.
    >
    > Every second counts!!! Dammit, you have to sprint for that line -- the bike length you lose in
    > that salute may be the bike length which costs you the second which costs you the tour.
    >
    > Finally, someone "takes my advice" :) :

    http://www.raisport.rai.it/pub/static/29800/20030721tour15atappaarmstrong2.j pg

    If you're an hour behind the leader, what's it matter?