finally -- warm weather!

Max

Guest
36F for tonight's ride to work -- Goodbye goretex shells balaklalavlas and he-man boots, hello lycra
tights, polarfleece and sneakers!

.max freedom -- horrible horrible freedom.

--
the part of <[email protected]> was played by maxwell monningh 8-p

Gerry <[email protected]> wrote:
: You're kidding...right? :)

it was 54F in boise on tuesday. i couldn't believe it. i rode home with just a jersey and shorts. of
course late last nite was 32F and raining hard. and tho i'm opposed, in principle, to declarations
of spring in mid february i'm not opposed to even more than a little celebrating.

i noticed this morning that it was over 32F even in most of the US midwest. too cool.
--
david reuteler [email protected]

30s and even occasionally 40s in Connecticut. That awkward temperature range when anything I wear is
too cold when I start, and too hot after half an hour.

tDavid Reuteler <[email protected]> wrote in message
news:<[email protected]>...
> Gerry <[email protected]> wrote:
> : You're kidding...right? :)
>
> it was 54F in boise on tuesday. i couldn't believe it. i rode home with just a jersey and shorts.
> of course late last nite was 32F and raining hard. and tho i'm opposed, in principle, to
> declarations of spring in mid february i'm not opposed to even more than a little celebrating.
>
> i noticed this morning that it was over 32F even in most of the US midwest. too cool.

38 degrees F here (south central WI). Windy, overcast but rideable. Got out for the second time this
year - OUTSIDE!!!! No trainer, no tv, just me, seventeen layers of clothing and the bike!

Woo-hoo! Riding the trainer isn't so bad but outside, whenever I can stand it is soooooo much
better. I went on my buffalo route which goes by a farm with a herd. The fence on it is kinda cheesy
compared to the bulk of one of the bulls - they could, at any time, go through that sucker like it
was made of fruit rollups. No electricity, no barbs (although barbs probably would have no effect).

When the adults see me coming and they circle around the calves and give me the eye. On one
occasion, the largest bull decided I had been watching them too long and trotted toward me a few
steps. I believe he would have stomped me if I had stuck around.

Ride on!

App

On 20 Feb 2004 10:49:15 -0800, [email protected] (Appkiller) wrote:

>38 degrees F here (south central WI). Windy, overcast but rideable. Got out for the second time
>this year - OUTSIDE!!!! No trainer, no tv, just me, seventeen layers of clothing and the bike!
>
>Woo-hoo! Riding the trainer isn't so bad but outside, whenever I can stand it is soooooo much
>better. I went on my buffalo route which goes by a farm with a herd. The fence on it is kinda
>cheesy compared to the bulk of one of the bulls - they could, at any time, go through that sucker
>like it was made of fruit rollups. No electricity, no barbs (although barbs probably would have
>no effect).
>
>When the adults see me coming and they circle around the calves and

Suddenly you've segued into bodybuilding? ;-)

>give me the eye. On one occasion, the largest bull decided I had been watching them too long and
>trotted toward me a few steps. I believe he would have stomped me if I had stuck around.
>
>Ride on!
>
>App

I love these "bikers' thaw out messages".

-B

71F yesterday in S/W Missouri, and with a 30mph north wind. Riding south was great, but going back
was no fun at all!

says...
> 71F yesterday in S/W Missouri, and with a 30mph north wind. Riding south was great, but going back
> was no fun at all!

I had a good early season ride today, too. It was about 40F and threatening rain, but very little
wind. I started out at about 1:30 with it just sprinkling, but by the time I got 1/4 mile down the
road, it had turned into a steady rain, so I turned around and went back home to wait it out. 45 min
later, it had stopped completely, and the clouds were starting to break up.

So out I go again. I was originally planning on a medium-long easy-to- medium pace ride, but it felt
so good to be out that I pushed the pace way up to near my limit. Ended up doing 24.5 miles on wet
roads (dodging a few deeper puddles, too) at a moving average of 16.2 mph, and finished up with my
legs fully shot. Not too bad for my current conditioning with the bike and me still in winter trim:
fenders, mud flaps, light, etc on the bike, and a very non-aerodynamic windbreaker on me. The hours
on the trainer over the last two months have definitely helped, as did the work on increasing my
cadence. Normally on that route, my legs give out long before my wind does; this time my legs lasted
much longer than previously, and they recovered much quicker after short hard efforts such as
sprinting to beat the stop light, or charging hard up a hill.

I can't wait until I can get out without the fenders and windbreaker.

On Sat, 21 Feb 2004 19:55:38 -0500, David Kerber <ns_dkerber@ns_ids.net>
wrote:

>says...
>> 71F yesterday in S/W Missouri, and with a 30mph north wind. Riding south was great, but going
>> back was no fun at all!
>
>I had a good early season ride today, too. It was about 40F and threatening rain, but very little
>wind. I started out at about 1:30 with it just sprinkling, but by the time I got 1/4 mile down the
>road, it had turned into a steady rain, so I turned around and went back home to wait it out. 45
>min later, it had stopped completely, and the clouds were starting to break up.
>
>So out I go again. I was originally planning on a medium-long easy-to- medium pace ride, but it
>felt so good to be out that I pushed the pace way up to near my limit. Ended up doing 24.5 miles on
>wet roads (dodging a few deeper puddles, too) at a moving average of 16.2 mph, and finished up with
>my legs fully shot. Not too bad for my current conditioning with the bike and me still in winter
>trim: fenders, mud flaps, light, etc on the bike, and a very non-aerodynamic windbreaker on
>me. The hours on the trainer over the last two months have definitely helped, as did the work on
> increasing my cadence. Normally on that route, my legs give out long before my wind does; this
> time my legs lasted much longer than previously, and they recovered much quicker after short
> hard efforts such as sprinting to beat the stop light, or charging hard up a hill.
>
>I can't wait until I can get out without the fenders and windbreaker.

Cool post. Good effort. <snicker> how do those quads feel this morning?

-B

> On Sat, 21 Feb 2004 19:55:38 -0500, David Kerber <ns_dkerber@ns_ids.net> wrote:
>

> >says...
> >> 71F yesterday in S/W Missouri, and with a 30mph north wind. Riding south was great, but going
> >> back was no fun at all!
> >
> >I had a good early season ride today, too. It was about 40F and threatening rain, but very little
> >wind. I started out at about 1:30 with it just sprinkling, but by the time I got 1/4 mile down
> >the road, it had turned into a steady rain, so I turned around and went back home to wait it out.
> >45 min later, it had stopped completely, and the clouds were starting to break up.
> >
> >So out I go again. I was originally planning on a medium-long easy-to- medium pace ride, but it
> >felt so good to be out that I pushed the pace way up to near my limit. Ended up doing 24.5 miles
> >on wet roads (dodging a few deeper puddles, too) at a moving average of 16.2 mph, and finished
> >up with my legs fully shot. Not too bad for my current conditioning with the bike and me still
> >in winter trim: fenders, mud flaps, light, etc on the bike, and a very non-aerodynamic
> >windbreaker on
> >me. The hours on the trainer over the last two months have definitely helped, as did the work on
> > increasing my cadence. Normally on that route, my legs give out long before my wind does;
> > this time my legs lasted much longer than previously, and they recovered much quicker after
> > short hard efforts such as sprinting to beat the stop light, or charging hard up a hill.
> >
> >I can't wait until I can get out without the fenders and windbreaker.
>
> Cool post. Good effort. <snicker> how do those quads feel this morning?

My right kneecap aches just a little, but other than that I feel surprisingly good. I think today
will be a good day for a recovery ride <GGG>.

On Sun, 22 Feb 2004 11:19:52 -0500, David Kerber <ns_dkerber@ns_ids.net>
wrote:

>> Cool post. Good effort. <snicker> how do those quads feel this morning?
>
>My right kneecap aches just a little, but other than that I feel surprisingly good. I think today
>will be a good day for a recovery ride <GGG>.

Uh-oh. Don't like to hear about those kneecap aches. Overuse injury looms. Be sure and ice and meds
for a couple days, eh? I actually caused a small boney bump to form on the top of my left patella
from my running days. Well, there's already a little bump there, but it got bigger. (It's fine now).
Also, in my Tri-training days, I grew a bump on my clavicle, near the shoulder. Can't remember
which. But it can seriously affect your training. Hard to tell that to an O/C athlete, but now, as
an ancient scholar, I can see the error in those ways. ;-)

I had a 'recovery day' yesterday. It was difficult, b/c I'm always trying to push it - within my
meagre limits. It was hella-windy, gusting and stuff, so I figured, take it easy for a change, look
at the scenery.

But I'm revved for today. 8->

Actually, when it's just quads being sore, I kinda like it. Pretty easy to train through and when
they get warmed up, it feels neat.

I mean, DOMs doesn't necessarily mean growth, but it means I'm not slacking... ;-)

That's why it's cool to do the sta. bike and then do the ride. You get a pre-pump, and some days if
you're pushing either, you ride pumped and sore, but not so much that it's debilitating.

I've found that 3-4 times a week on the sta. bike is best for gains, but hard to do, b/c if you're
not doing it daily, you can forget, or put the supplemental training off.

One thing I like to do is key the sta. bike work to a TV show, such that when the show is on, the
urge/signal to climb aboard hits. That way, I don't put it off or forget.

I usually key it to the first ep of The West Wing, on Bravo at 11am. Then I bike at 1pm. Lately
though I've been getting out early, and doing the sta. bike second. Works for me. ;-p

-B

Sunny right now and they predict a high of -- 56F!!!

There's a few hours today where Dad's taking our younger daugher to the movies and the older one is
seeing a play with Granny and Grandpa. Should be right in the meat of the afternoon, when it'll be
the warmest. Y'think I can get out on the bike? Housework can wait. Only decision now is -- over the
top end of the Lake, or around the bottom?

--
Warm Regards,

Claire Petersky

"'Spring-spring-spring' sang the robin. 'Spring-spring-spring' sang the
frog....It was Spring"
--from "Home for a Bunny", Margaret Wise Brown

> Sunny right now and they predict a high of -- 56F!!!
>
> There's a few hours today where Dad's taking our younger daugher to the movies and the older one
> is seeing a play with Granny and Grandpa. Should
be
> right in the meat of the afternoon, when it'll be the warmest. Y'think I
can
> get out on the bike? Housework can wait. Only decision now is -- over the top end of the Lake, or
> around the bottom?

Over the top of Lake Washington?

On Sun, 22 Feb 2004 17:11:54 GMT, "Claire Petersky" <[email protected]>
from Comcast Online wrote:

>There's a few hours today where Dad's taking our younger daugher to the movies and the older one is
>seeing a play with Granny and Grandpa. Should be right in the meat of the afternoon, when it'll be
>the warmest. Y'think I can get out on the bike? Housework can wait. Only decision now is -- over
>the top end of the Lake, or around the bottom?

Time for a quick century?

--
[email protected]
Don't be frightened to display your talents.

> "Claire Petersky" <[email protected]> wrote in message
> > Sunny right now and they predict a high of -- 56F!!!
> >
> > There's a few hours today where Dad's taking our younger daugher to the movies and the older one
> > is seeing a play with Granny and Grandpa.
Should
> be
> > right in the meat of the afternoon, when it'll be the warmest. Y'think I
> can
> > get out on the bike? Housework can wait. Only decision now is -- over
the
> > top end of the Lake, or around the bottom?
>
> Over the top of Lake Washington?

Yup, although, as it turns out, I ended up doing a totally different ride, focusing on hill
climbing. Golly gee, I'm outta shape. Hardly more than 30 miles over three hours, most of it
wheezing up some dang hill or other.

Still, it was grand weather: bike shorts, short sleeves, sunshine.

Warm Regards,

Claire Petersky Please replace earthlink for mouse-potato and .net for .com

"'Spring-spring-spring' sang the robin. 'Spring-spring-spring' sang the frog....It was Spring" --
from "Home for a Bunny", Margaret Wise Brown

On Mon, 23 Feb 2004 00:31:43 GMT, "Claire Petersky"
<[email protected]> wrote:

>"Tom Kunich" <[email protected]> wrote in message
>news:[email protected]...
>> "Claire Petersky" <[email protected]> wrote in message
>> > Sunny right now and they predict a high of -- 56F!!!
>> >
>> > There's a few hours today where Dad's taking our younger daugher to the movies and the older
>> > one is seeing a play with Granny and Grandpa.
>Should
>> be
>> > right in the meat of the afternoon, when it'll be the warmest. Y'think I
>> can
>> > get out on the bike? Housework can wait. Only decision now is -- over
>the
>> > top end of the Lake, or around the bottom?
>>
>> Over the top of Lake Washington?
>
>Yup, although, as it turns out, I ended up doing a totally different ride, focusing on hill
>climbing. Golly gee, I'm outta shape. Hardly more than 30 miles over three hours, most of it
>wheezing up some dang hill or other.

You could still easily ride me into the ground.

Your floor is always someone's ceiling. :0)

-Luigi

In article <PRb_b.102962$jk2.471617@attbi_s53>,
"Claire Petersky" <[email protected]> writes:

> Still, it was grand weather: bike shorts, short sleeves, sunshine.
^^^^^^^^^^^^^^^^^^^^^^^^^^

I did a leisurely 20 miler today, and overdressed for it. The Weather Channel said it was 8-10c, but
I think they were wrong. Two or so hours after getting back home I'm still cooling down in a short-
sleeved tee shirt I changed into.

Part way into the ride I thought about how if there's a wind chill factor, maybe there's a
corresponding, opposite, sunlight heating factor. Anyhow, I sure didn't expect to warm up so
quickly. But it was a nice ride. Not so much runny nose, for one thing.

> "'Spring-spring-spring' sang the robin. 'Spring-spring-spring' sang the frog....It was Spring"

I heard some poor-willies for the first time this year. Saw a red-winged blackbird last weekend.
And robins!

cheers, Tom