Finally . . .

Fraser

Guest
Got a phone call this afternoon Joshua. The EZ Sport Ltd was in and ready to roll!

I am completely befuddled now.

Rode the thing home along the relatively flat lakefront then headed north, generally all
uphill with just a few breaks in the grade. Made it home in just over an hour, with an
odometer reading of
27.38 k. About the only concern I had when getting off the bike was the amount of sweat the back of
my shirt had absorbed. Legs basically felt fine, no shoulder ache, no aching wrists, no pain in
the as . . . err, anterior quarters. Why in heck doesn't everyone ride a recumbent?

I'm going to have to re-calibrate the speedo, think the mechanic used the generic wheel
size rather than actual wheel size. I was expecting a ride of about 22k rather than the
27. The daughter rode with me on her diamond frame. She had no problem blowing me off on
the upgrades, but several times on the downgrades I'd coast past her while she was
pedalling. Hit a maximum speed of 54.0k and I wasn't trying to break any records! Can't
wait to see what's possible once I get this wretched old bag of bones back into some sort
of physical shape.

Grin, brace yourself, there's likely going to be a slew of questions over the next
few weeks.

Best head off to bed . . . want to get rested up for another ride tomorrow.

"Fraser" skrev...
> About the only concern I had when getting off the bike was the amount of sweat the back of my
> shirt had absorbed. Legs basically felt fine, no shoulder ache, no aching wrists, no pain in the
> as . . . err, anterior quarters. Why in heck doesn't everyone ride a recumbent?

Its one of those things you have to try before you see the light. ;-) Everyone is always asking me
if the seating position on my VK is uncomfortable and they mostly look sceptical when I tell them
its great.

> Grin, brace yourself, there's likely going to be a slew of questions over the next few weeks.

Congrats on the bike and welcome to the church of recumbency. ;-)

Mikael

Far Out Mirror = Mircycle, have used the same one almost 3 years and it has hit maybe 30 car mirrors
so far and is still intact. They are bar-end mounted and can be adjusted as you please. Someone in
the Ottawa HPV swears by a Zefal Mirror, I have not tried one yet but they look sturdy enough.

I will be seeing Carey Chen later today to (finally) get some new 406mm wheels built to work with my
new SRAM Drum brakes and I'll check out his selection of Mirrors for Bents. He sells the EZ-3 but
not sure he carries any of the 2 wheel EZ bents.

Oh Yeah if your father-in law wants to improve his speed on the EZ-3 have him use Kenda Kwest tires.
I am using a pair of EZ-3 406mm on a tadpole and they roll sweet. I prefer MAXXIS Hookworms, but
they are a bit of an overkill on the narrow EZ-3 rims.

Triketrails is a pretty good shop for bents but not big on bent specific accessories and parts.
Urbane Cyclist is the best Bent Specific shop and Carey Chen is committed & knowledgeable about
bents...well he sells DF bikes too but we don't hold that against him.

Joshua
*****
----------------
news:[email protected]...

On Wed, 17 Sep 2003 08:52:28 -0400, "Joshua Goldberg" <[email protected]> wrote:

>Far Out

Grin . . .

>Mirror = Mircycle, have used the same one almost 3 years and it has hit maybe 30 car mirrors so far
>and is still intact. They are bar-end mounted and can be adjusted as you please.

That's what I ended up with Joshua . . . they do seem to do the job quite well. Haven't
tested mine against car mirrors yet, but I'm sure the time will come!

>Someone in the Ottawa HPV swears by a Zefal Mirror, I have not tried one yet but they look
>sturdy enough.

Years and years ago I had a small Zefal tire pump. I'd never buy another one. It didn't
stand up very well. But again, that was 15 years ago and we are comparing apples to oranges.

>Oh Yeah if your father-in law wants to improve his speed on the EZ-3 have him use Kenda
>Kwest tires.

I'll check and see what he has on the trike next time I'm over to his place. 32k round trip
to his front door. I actually pedalled over Saturday morning. Was grinning like a clown when
I got home. First time in 15 years I've done that sort of distance. The legs were tired once
I got home, but no stress across the shoulders or wrists. Not too shabby an effort for an
old guy. The more I ride the more I want to ride. Kinda like an addiction isn't it?

Kenda Kwests' came on the EZ Sport Ltd. What I've heard here and elsewhere they are a
pretty reliable tire. They're 1.50 inches wide and at 100lbs they don't seem to flatten
under my weight. I'd like to try a narrower tire eventually, but the wife has informed me
that with this bike purchase my allowance has been used up for a good number of months.
Maybe next summer we'll look at upgrading tires and rims. (or something lighter and lower
to the ground . . . )

Got a nice thrill riding the other night. Reached the end of the driveway and as I looked
for traffic, a df rode by and I'm pretty sure I saw a rather deprecating sneer on his face.
Tucked in behind him for a few blocks while the legs got warmed up. He knew I was there and
I think he picked up the pace a little. Decided what the hell, and cranked the power up and
passed him. It was a good five or six blocks until I had to pull over, cursing years of
bodily abuse, panting like a dog in heat. As he passed me I got a respectful nod of the
head. Grin, it ain't much I know, but it certainly felt good. The speed of these things is
almost scary . . .

>Triketrails is a pretty good shop for bents but not big on bent specific accessories and parts.
>Urbane Cyclist is the best Bent Specific shop and Carey Chen is committed & knowledgeable about
>bents...well he sells DF bikes too but we don't hold that against him.

I like the girl who runs triketrails. She is pleasant to deal with, but like you say,
accessories aren't thier strong point. The wife has an appointment in Toronto in early
November, think I;ll check out the Urbane Cyclist then and see what trouble I can get into.

Sorry for rambling Joshua . . . thanks for your advice.