Finasteride and hair loss

Sassi

Guest
Hi,

I would like to know something more about Finasteride and its potential benefit for hairloss,
alopecia benefits. I know that it's used to treat benign prostatic hypertrophy, and I was told
it's also very good for hair loss. Is it true or proved? Any comments and suggestions are very
welcome. thanks

Sassi wrote:

> I would like to know something more about Finasteride and its potential benefit for hairloss,
> alopecia benefits. I know that it's used to treat benign prostatic hypertrophy, and I was told
> it's also very good for hair loss. Is it true or proved? Any comments and suggestions are very
> welcome. thanks

According to this, it's not indicated for hair loss in women.
http://www.hairinfo.org/en/learning/disorders/andro.html

Finasteride has been shown to produce significant results in the treatment of male AGA. It works by
blocking 5-alpha reductase, which is responsible for the conversion of testosterone to
dihydrotestosterone (DHT). DHT is an important factor in the cause of AGA. Finasteride reversed hair
loss in 66% of men - 30% experienced mild regrowth, 31% experienced moderate regrowth, 5%
experienced great regrowth - and stopped hair loss in 83% of men after two years of follow-up.

Finasteride is not indicated in women. Instead, the use of a systemic antiandrogen such as
spironolactone (Aldactone®) 50 to 200 mg per day, cyproterone acetate (Androcur®), or flutamide
(Eulexin®) may have some benefit in reducing the amount of hair thinning.

> Finasteride has been shown to produce significant results in the treatment of male AGA. It works
> by blocking 5-alpha reductase, which is responsible for the conversion of testosterone to
> dihydrotestosterone (DHT). DHT is an important factor in the cause of AGA. Finasteride reversed
> hair loss in 66% of men - 30% experienced mild regrowth, 31% experienced moderate regrowth, 5%
> experienced great regrowth - and stopped hair loss in 83% of men after two years of follow-up.
>
> Finasteride is not indicated in women. Instead, the use of a systemic antiandrogen such as
> spironolactone (Aldactone®) 50 to 200 mg per day, cyproterone acetate (Androcur®), or flutamide
> (Eulexin®) may have some benefit in reducing the amount of hair thinning.

thanks for the feedback. Actually I'm using the product called Finastid 5mg, of neopharmed. I was
told to take no more than 1mg of finasteride per day, and considering that each pill in the box
contains 5mg of finasteride, I have to divide it in 5 pieces. What do you think about this quantity?
thanks again