Finasteride and hair loss

Discussion in 'Health and medical' started by Sassi, Feb 19, 2004.

  1. Sassi

    Sassi Guest

    Hi,

    I would like to know something more about Finasteride and its potential benefit for hairloss,
    alopecia benefits. I know that it's used to treat benign prostatic hypertrophy, and I was told
    it's also very good for hair loss. Is it true or proved? Any comments and suggestions are very
    welcome. thanks

  2. J

    J Guest

    Sassi wrote:

    > I would like to know something more about Finasteride and its potential benefit for hairloss,
    > alopecia benefits. I know that it's used to treat benign prostatic hypertrophy, and I was told
    > it's also very good for hair loss. Is it true or proved? Any comments and suggestions are very
    > welcome. thanks

    According to this, it's not indicated for hair loss in women.
    http://www.hairinfo.org/en/learning/disorders/andro.html

    Finasteride has been shown to produce significant results in the treatment of male AGA. It works by
    blocking 5-alpha reductase, which is responsible for the conversion of testosterone to
    dihydrotestosterone (DHT). DHT is an important factor in the cause of AGA. Finasteride reversed hair
    loss in 66% of men - 30% experienced mild regrowth, 31% experienced moderate regrowth, 5%
    experienced great regrowth - and stopped hair loss in 83% of men after two years of follow-up.

    Finasteride is not indicated in women. Instead, the use of a systemic antiandrogen such as
    spironolactone (Aldactone®) 50 to 200 mg per day, cyproterone acetate (Androcur®), or flutamide
    (Eulexin®) may have some benefit in reducing the amount of hair thinning.

  3. Paolo Sassi

    Paolo Sassi Guest

    > Finasteride has been shown to produce significant results in the treatment of male AGA. It works
    > by blocking 5-alpha reductase, which is responsible for the conversion of testosterone to
    > dihydrotestosterone (DHT). DHT is an important factor in the cause of AGA. Finasteride reversed
    > hair loss in 66% of men - 30% experienced mild regrowth, 31% experienced moderate regrowth, 5%
    > experienced great regrowth - and stopped hair loss in 83% of men after two years of follow-up.
    >
    > Finasteride is not indicated in women. Instead, the use of a systemic antiandrogen such as
    > spironolactone (Aldactone®) 50 to 200 mg per day, cyproterone acetate (Androcur®), or flutamide
    > (Eulexin®) may have some benefit in reducing the amount of hair thinning.

    thanks for the feedback. Actually I'm using the product called Finastid 5mg, of neopharmed. I was
    told to take no more than 1mg of finasteride per day, and considering that each pill in the box
    contains 5mg of finasteride, I have to divide it in 5 pieces. What do you think about this quantity?
    thanks again

  4. Sassi

    Sassi Guest

    ok I guess the question is too complex. thanks anyway