Find it hard to make up my mind....

Discussion in 'Health and medical' started by Francispoon, Dec 17, 2003.

  1. Francispoon

    Francispoon Guest

    Since I was diagnosed with high cholestrol level, *a* doctor has urged me to use drug right away
    while others think a good exercise and diet program should go first, and other doctors think an
    'irregular'/intermittent use of herb pills and cartia after breakfast should be the 'optimal'
    solution.... and some doctors don't really think I should use any more medication.

    My readings are as follows: LDL-direct 157 Cholesterol 254 Triglycerides 209

    I have been using hbp pills everyday and the last thing I want is to be a living entity regulated by
    more pills for the rest of my life.

    Kindly share your 'experiences' with these pills.

    Thank You,

    FP

    Tags:

  2. Generally diet and exercise is first advised - if, after a period of weeks no change, then drugs.
    I'd avoid "herb" pills (unregulated). How is your HDL level? Do you have other risk factors? Lipitor
    worked very well for me (10mg) as did 5 mg Crestor. I stopped taking them because I'm trying to
    build muscle mass via exercise and because my total chol/HDL ratio is good without meds. I had no
    noticable side effects from statins.

    [email protected] (francispoon) wrote in message
    news:<[email protected]>...
    > Since I was diagnosed with high cholestrol level, *a* doctor has urged me to use drug right away
    > while others think a good exercise and diet program should go first, and other doctors think an
    > 'irregular'/intermittent use of herb pills and cartia after breakfast should be the 'optimal'
    > solution.... and some doctors don't really think I should use any more medication.
    >
    > My readings are as follows: LDL-direct 157 Cholesterol 254 Triglycerides 209
    >
    > I have been using hbp pills everyday and the last thing I want is to be a living entity regulated
    > by more pills for the rest of my life.
    >
    > Kindly share your 'experiences' with these pills.
    >
    > Thank You,
    >
    > FP

  3. Eldred30

    Eldred30 Guest

    [email protected] (francispoon) wrote in message news:<[email protected]>...
    > Since I was diagnosed with high cholestrol level, *a* doctor has urged me to use drug right away
    > while others think a good exercise and diet program should go first, and other doctors think an
    > 'irregular'/intermittent use of herb pills and cartia after breakfast should be the 'optimal'
    > solution.... and some doctors don't really think I should use any more medication.
    >
    > My readings are as follows: LDL-direct 157 Cholesterol 254 Triglycerides 209
    >
    > I have been using hbp pills everyday and the last thing I want is to be a living entity regulated
    > by more pills for the rest of my life.
    >
    > Kindly share your 'experiences' with these pills.
    >
    > Thank You,
    >
    > FP
    For first hand experience by others, search for Lipitor, statins, and Sharon Hope in this newsgroup.
    The experiences may scare you.

    Also, look into the book, "Reversing Heart Disease" by Julian Whitaker
    M.D.

    Another good site titles "Nutrition, Health & Heart Disease" makes good sense to many and can be
    found at: http://www.health-heart.org/

    Also, for a different point of view, read some of the articles at:
    http://wwhttp://www.westonaprice.org/splash_2.htmw.westonaprice.org/splash_2.htm

    Such as: http://www.westonaprice.org/know_your_fats/fats_phony.html

    And: http://www.westonaprice.org/know_your_fats/oiling.html

  4. Dr Chaos

    Dr Chaos Guest

    On 16 Dec 2003 05:11:08 -0800, francispoon <[email protected]> wrote:
    > Since I was diagnosed with high cholestrol level, *a* doctor has urged me to use drug right away
    > while others think a good exercise and diet program should go first, and other doctors think an
    > 'irregular'/intermittent use of herb pills and cartia after breakfast should be the 'optimal'
    > solution.... and some doctors don't really think I should use any more medication.
    >
    > My readings are as follows: LDL-direct 157 Cholesterol 254 Triglycerides 209
    >
    > I have been using hbp pills everyday and the last thing I want is to be a living entity regulated
    > by more pills for the rest of my life.

    I'd imagine that being a living entity regulated by atherosclerosis for the rest of your life could
    be even worse.

    > Kindly share your 'experiences' with these pills.

    contrary to some people here, I have had not the slightest perceived physical effect from my
    atorvastatin in 4 years. The only difference is the numbers on the lab reports are
    significantly lower.

    I feel much more from taking a multivitamin (slight stomach upset).

    Personally I would attempt a statin and a diet and exercise program simultaneously. Once my diet and
    exercise and weight would be at an optimal level, I would attempt to taper off the statin to see if
    the lipids would remain optimally controlled. If that were so, I would cease statin therapy, or if
    there were other side effects. Otherwise I would stay on as low a dose as is necessary to reach
    those proper levels that my physician would ask for.

    some people say that CoQ10 supplementation may lower risk of statin side effects.

    The diet and exercise would probably aid the high blood pressure, perhaps even more.

  5. Jim Chinnis

    Jim Chinnis Guest

    [email protected] (francispoon) wrote in part:

    >I have been using hbp pills everyday and the last thing I want is to be a living entity regulated
    >by more pills for the rest of my life.
    >
    >Kindly share your 'experiences' with these pills.

    If you mean statins, I've had a significant improvement in my lipids from pravastatin with no
    detectible difference otherwise.

    I would recommend starting dietary and exercise lifestyle changes either with or without a drug,
    depending on your risk factors and history. You can drop or add a drug as needed later.
    --
    Jim Chinnis Warrenton, Virginia, USA

  6. Dr Chaos

    Dr Chaos Guest

    On 16 Dec 2003 10:31:11 -0800, Brad Sheppard <[email protected]> wrote:
    > Generally diet and exercise is first advised - if, after a period of weeks no change, then drugs.
    > I'd avoid "herb" pills (unregulated). How is your HDL level? Do you have other risk factors?
    > Lipitor worked very well for me (10mg) as did 5 mg Crestor. I stopped taking them because I'm
    > trying to build muscle mass via exercise and because my total chol/HDL ratio is good without meds.
    > I had no noticable side effects from statins.

    you imply that statin therapy is an impediment to building muscle mass. Is this true? Are there
    research results you know about?

  7. Francispoon

    Francispoon Guest

    [email protected] (Brad Sheppard) wrote in message news:<[email protected]>...
    > Generally diet and exercise is first advised - if, after a period of weeks no change, then drugs.
    > I'd avoid "herb" pills (unregulated). How is your HDL level?
    HDL Cholesterol 65 Chol/HDL ratio, if that is what is asked, is 3.91.

    THX

    FP
    =======================================

    Do you have other risk factors? Lipitor
    > worked very well for me (10mg) as did 5 mg Crestor. I stopped taking them because I'm trying to
    > build muscle mass via exercise and because my total chol/HDL ratio is good without meds. I had no
    > noticable side effects from statins.
    >
    > [email protected] (francispoon) wrote in message
    > news:<[email protected]>...
    > > Since I was diagnosed with high cholestrol level, *a* doctor has urged me to use drug right away
    > > while others think a good exercise and diet program should go first, and other doctors think an
    > > 'irregular'/intermittent use of herb pills and cartia after breakfast should be the 'optimal'
    > > solution.... and some doctors don't really think I should use any more medication.
    > >
    > > My readings are as follows: LDL-direct 157 Cholesterol 254 Triglycerides 209
    > >
    > > I have been using hbp pills everyday and the last thing I want is to be a living entity
    > > regulated by more pills for the rest of my life.
    > >
    > > Kindly share your 'experiences' with these pills.
    > >
    > > Thank You,
    > >
    > > FP

  8. Francispoon

    Francispoon Guest

    [email protected] (eldred30) wrote in message news:<[email protected]>...
    > [email protected] (francispoon) wrote in message
    > news:<[email protected]>...
    > > Since I was diagnosed with high cholestrol level, *a* doctor has urged me to use drug right away
    > > while others think a good exercise and diet program should go first, and other doctors think an
    > > 'irregular'/intermittent use of herb pills and cartia after breakfast should be the 'optimal'
    > > solution.... and some doctors don't really think I should use any more medication.
    > >
    > > My readings are as follows: LDL-direct 157 Cholesterol 254 Triglycerides 209
    > >
    > > I have been using hbp pills everyday and the last thing I want is to be a living entity
    > > regulated by more pills for the rest of my life.
    > >
    > > Kindly share your 'experiences' with these pills.
    > >
    > > Thank You,
    > >
    > > FP
    > For first hand experience by others, search for Lipitor, statins, and Sharon Hope in this
    > newsgroup. The experiences may scare you.

    Thanks for the sites pointed to. Only the minority of participants there have anything good to
    say about these drugs. Most seem to have been adversely affected. I would go on a program of
    diet control first. The first and the foremost is to do away with OIL and SALT....and red
    meat...and chicken skins. I once read a book named "The Best Treatment", for which I have a
    great deal of respect. The author does warn against the unknown adverse effects of these
    cholestrol lowering drugs.

    Rdg.,

    FP
    ==================================

  9. Dr Chaos <[email protected]> wrote in message news:<[email protected]>...
    > On 16 Dec 2003 10:31:11 -0800, Brad Sheppard <[email protected]> wrote:
    > > Generally diet and exercise is first advised - if, after a period of weeks no change, then
    > > drugs. I'd avoid "herb" pills (unregulated). How is your HDL level? Do you have other risk
    > > factors? Lipitor worked very well for me (10mg) as did 5 mg Crestor. I stopped taking them
    > > because I'm trying to build muscle mass via exercise and because my total chol/HDL ratio is good
    > > without meds. I had no noticable side effects from statins.
    >
    > you imply that statin therapy is an impediment to building muscle mass. Is this true? Are there
    > research results you know about?

    "MUSCLE SIDE EFFECTS OF STATINS

    Gabe Mirkin, M.D.

    A report from Austria confirms that statin drugs, used to lower blood cholesterol, can cause muscle
    pain and injuries. Statin drugs, such as Zocor, Pravachol, Mevacor, Lescol, Lipitor, and Alatocor
    save lives by lowering blood cholesterol levels, even in people who have normal values. These drugs
    are safe, but on rare occasions, can cause nerve damage and muscle pain.

    Most people who take cholesterol-lowering drugs do not suffer muscle pain unless they exercise. Hard
    exercise damages muscles, causing soreness on the next day. Most exercisers work out intensely
    enough to cause muscle soreness for one or two days and then, exercise at a reduced intensity until
    the soreness goes away, usually in a couple for days. Statin drugs delay recovery often taking more
    than a week for the soreness to go away so a person can exercise intensely again. Exercising
    intensely when muscles are sore can cause muscle injuries.

    Statin-induced myositis migrans. Wiener Klinische Wochenschrift, 2002, Vol 114, Iss 21-22, pp 943-
    944. H Sinzinger. Sinzinger H, Wilhelm Auerswald Atherosclerosis Res Grp, ASF, Nadlergasse 1, A-1090
    Vienna, AUSTRIA"

  10. Olive oil improves your lipid profile. Fatty fish like salmon and
    herring reduce your heart attack risk. Avoid saturated fats and
    trans-fatty acids. See
    http://www.hsph.harvard.edu/nutritionsource/fats.html
    [email protected] (francispoon) wrote in message news:<[email protected]>...
    > [email protected] (eldred30) wrote in message
    > news:<[email protected]>...
    > > [email protected] (francispoon) wrote in message
    > > news:<[email protected]>...
    > > > Since I was diagnosed with high cholestrol level, *a* doctor has urged me to use drug right
    > > > away while others think a good exercise and diet program should go first, and other doctors
    > > > think an 'irregular'/intermittent use of herb pills and cartia after breakfast should be the
    > > > 'optimal' solution.... and some doctors don't really think I should use any more medication.
    > > >
    > > > My readings are as follows: LDL-direct 157 Cholesterol 254 Triglycerides 209
    > > >
    > > > I have been using hbp pills everyday and the last thing I want is to be a living entity
    > > > regulated by more pills for the rest of my life.
    > > >
    > > > Kindly share your 'experiences' with these pills.
    > > >
    > > > Thank You,
    > > >
    > > > FP
    > > For first hand experience by others, search for Lipitor, statins, and Sharon Hope in this
    > > newsgroup. The experiences may scare you.
    > >
    > Thanks for the sites pointed to. Only the minority of participants there have anything good to
    > say about these drugs. Most seem to have been adversely affected. I would go on a program of
    > diet control first. The first and the foremost is to do away with OIL and SALT....and red
    > meat...and chicken skins. I once read a book named "The Best Treatment", for which I have a
    > great deal of respect. The author does warn against the unknown adverse effects of these
    > cholestrol lowering drugs.
    >
    > Rdg.,
    >
    > FP
    > ==================================
    > >
    > > Also, look into the book, "Reversing Heart Disease" by Julian Whitaker
    > > M.D.
    > >

    > > Another good site titles "Nutrition, Health & Heart Disease" makes good sense to many and can be
    > > found at: http://www.health-heart.org/
    > >

    > > Also, for a different point of view, read some of the articles at:
    > > http://wwhttp://www.westonaprice.org/splash_2.htmw.westonaprice.org/splash_2.htm
    > >

    > > Such as: http://www.westonaprice.org/know_your_fats/fats_phony.html
    > >
    > > And: http://www.westonaprice.org/know_your_fats/oiling.html

  11. Francispoon

    Francispoon Guest

    Thank you Dr. Chao. I am trying the diet program and a treatment of herb medicine and see if I could
    have those numbers lowered in a month or so. If not, I would have to resort to medication. I would
    imagine that my levels are high but not neccessarily dangerously high, otherwise the doctor(#1) at
    Adventist Hospital would have me on medication right away. The other doctor(#2) who saw the same
    report interprets it differently. He thinks I should be on med right away.

    At any rate, your suggestion is well taken. I am always afraid that once a pill is taken, it is
    usually taken for life.

    Rdg.,

    FP