Find the mint

Discussion in 'Food and nutrition' started by Nancy Young, Jan 12, 2006.

  1. Nancy Young

    Nancy Young Guest

    This is verbatim from the inside of a box of
    Land O Lakes butter.

    A fudgy brownie, layered with mint butter cream
    and drizzled with chocolate.

    Buttercream Brownies

    Preparation time: 30 minutes Baking time: 25 minutes

    Brownie: 1/2 cup Land O Lakes Butter*
    2 (1-ounce) squares unsweetened baking
    chocolate
    1 cup sugar
    3/4 cup all-purpose flour
    2 eggs

    Filling: 2 cups powdered sugar
    1 (3-ounce) package cream cheese, softened
    3 tablespoons Land O Lakes butter, softened*
    1 teaspoon vanilla

    Drizzle: 1 (1-ounce) square unsweetened baking
    chocolate, melted

    Heat oven to 350F. Melt 1/2 cup butter and 2 squares
    chocolate in 2 quart saucepan over medium heat, stirring
    constantly, until smooth (4 to 6 minutes). Stir in all remaining
    brownie ingredients until well mixed. Spread into greased
    8-inch square baking pan.

    Bake for 25 to 30 minutes or until brownie begins to pull
    away from sides of pan. Cool completely.

    Combine all filling ingredients in a small bowl. Beat at medium
    speed, scraping bowl often, until creamy. Spread over cooled
    bars. Drizzle with melted chocolate. Cool completely; cut into
    bars. Cover; store refrigerated.

    25 brownies

    *Substitute Land O Lakes Soft baking butter with canola oil.

    Tags:

  2. Karen

    Karen Guest

    Nancy Young wrote:

    > *Substitute Land O Lakes Soft baking butter with canola oil.

    Typo'?

    What is LoL soft baking butter anyway?

    Karen

  3. BoboBonobo

    BoboBonobo Guest

    Nancy Young wrote:
    > This is verbatim from the inside of a box of
    > Land O Lakes butter.
    >
    > A fudgy brownie, layered with mint butter cream
    > and drizzled with chocolate.
    >
    > Buttercream Brownies
    >
    > Preparation time: 30 minutes Baking time: 25 minutes
    >
    > Brownie: 1/2 cup Land O Lakes Butter*
    > 2 (1-ounce) squares unsweetened baking
    > chocolate
    > 1 cup sugar
    > 3/4 cup all-purpose flour
    > 2 eggs
    >
    > Filling: 2 cups powdered sugar
    > 1 (3-ounce) package cream cheese, softened
    > 3 tablespoons Land O Lakes butter, softened*
    > 1 teaspoon vanilla
    >
    > Drizzle: 1 (1-ounce) square unsweetened baking
    > chocolate, melted
    >
    > Heat oven to 350F. Melt 1/2 cup butter and 2 squares
    > chocolate in 2 quart saucepan over medium heat, stirring
    > constantly, until smooth (4 to 6 minutes). Stir in all remaining
    > brownie ingredients until well mixed. Spread into greased
    > 8-inch square baking pan.
    >
    > Bake for 25 to 30 minutes or until brownie begins to pull
    > away from sides of pan. Cool completely.
    >
    > Combine all filling ingredients in a small bowl. Beat at medium
    > speed, scraping bowl often, until creamy. Spread over cooled
    > bars. Drizzle with melted chocolate. Cool completely; cut into
    > bars. Cover; store refrigerated.
    >
    > 25 brownies

    Sounds yummy. Especially since there was no mint involved.

    > *Substitute Land O Lakes Soft baking butter with canola oil.

    Why would you want to make such a substitution?

    --Bryan

  4. Nancy Young

    Nancy Young Guest

    "Karen" <[email protected]> wrote in message
    news:[email protected]

    > Nancy Young wrote:
    >
    >> *Substitute Land O Lakes Soft baking butter with canola oil.

    > Typo'?
    >
    > What is LoL soft baking butter anyway?

    I was wondering that myself!

    Soft Baking Butter. (laugh)

    nancy

  5. Nancy Young

    Nancy Young Guest

    "Karen" <[email protected]> wrote

    > What is LoL soft baking butter anyway?

    Oh, I get it ... the butter in the brownie part, not the
    filling part. The filling that goes on top. ?

    nancy

  6. -L.

    -L. Guest

    Nancy Young wrote:
    > This is verbatim from the inside of a box of
    > Land O Lakes butter.

    I read that same recipe and was like, WTF? The No-Mint Mint Brownie!
    -L.

  7. Nancy Young

    Nancy Young Guest

    "-L." <[email protected]> wrote

    > Nancy Young wrote:
    >> This is verbatim from the inside of a box of
    >> Land O Lakes butter.
    >>

    > I read that same recipe and was like, WTF? The No-Mint Mint Brownie!

    Heh. And I read it over because I thought I must have
    missed it somehow. Now I'm thinking it reminds me of a
    dessert I had somewhere, I might just make these no mint
    mint brownies.

    nancy

  8. Nancy Young

    Nancy Young Guest

    "BoboBonobo" <[email protected]> wrote

    > Nancy Young wrote:

    >> *Substitute Land O Lakes Soft baking butter with canola oil.

    > Why would you want to make such a substitution?

    I leave such matters to the bakers around here.

    nancy

  9. Puester

    Puester Guest

    Nancy Young wrote:
    > "-L." <[email protected]> wrote
    >

    >>Nancy Young wrote:
    >>
    >>>This is verbatim from the inside of a box of
    >>>Land O Lakes butter.
    >>>

    >>I read that same recipe and was like, WTF? The No-Mint Mint Brownie!

    > Heh. And I read it over because I thought I must have
    > missed it somehow. Now I'm thinking it reminds me of a
    > dessert I had somewhere, I might just make these no mint
    > mint brownies.
    >
    > nancy

    Okay, I can't stand it anymore. You guys are driving me nuts.
    Here's a recipe for nearly the same thing, from over 30 years ago.
    I have no idea where it came from otrher than my recipe box.
    (BTW I prefer the middle layer with Kahlua instead of mint.)

    Chocolate Mint Brownie Squares

    Bottom layer:
    1 c. sugar
    1/2 c. softened margarine or butter
    4 eggs, beaten
    1 c. flour
    1 tsp. vanilla
    1/2 rsp salt
    16 oz Hershey's chocolate syrup

    Mint layer:
    2 cups confectioners sugar
    3 Tbsp. creme de menthe
    1/2 c. softened butter

    Glaze:
    6 oz. chocolate chips
    6 Tbsp. butter

    Mix ingredients for bottom layer, pour into greased and floured 10x16
    jelly roll pan. Bake @ 350deg. 25-30 minutes. Cool in pan.

    Mix mint ingredients well, spread over cooled bottom layer until very
    smooth.

    Melt glaze ingredients, cool slightly, spread over mint layer.
    Cool and cut into suqares.

    gloria p

  10. BoboBonobo

    BoboBonobo Guest

    Puester wrote:
    > Nancy Young wrote:

    > >>I read that same recipe and was like, WTF? The No-Mint Mint Brownie!

    > > Heh. And I read it over because I thought I must have
    > > missed it somehow. Now I'm thinking it reminds me of a
    > > dessert I had somewhere, I might just make these no mint
    > > mint brownies.
    > >
    > > nancy
    > >

    > Okay, I can't stand it anymore. You guys are driving me nuts.
    > Here's a recipe for nearly the same thing, from over 30 years ago.
    > I have no idea where it came from otrher than my recipe box.
    > (BTW I prefer the middle layer with Kahlua instead of mint.)
    >
    > Chocolate Mint Brownie Squares
    >
    > Bottom layer:
    > 1 c. sugar
    > 1/2 c. softened margarine or butter

    MARGARINE IS NOT FOOD UNLESS YOU'RE A FREAKING IDIOT.

    > 4 eggs, beaten
    > 1 c. flour
    > 1 tsp. vanilla
    > 1/2 rsp salt
    > 16 oz Hershey's chocolate syrup
    >
    > Mint layer:
    > 2 cups confectioners sugar
    > 3 Tbsp. creme de menthe
    > 1/2 c. softened butter
    >
    > Glaze:
    > 6 oz. chocolate chips
    > 6 Tbsp. butter
    >
    > Mix ingredients for bottom layer, pour into greased and floured 10x16
    > jelly roll pan. Bake @ 350deg. 25-30 minutes. Cool in pan.
    >
    > Mix mint ingredients well, spread over cooled bottom layer until very
    > smooth.
    >
    > Melt glaze ingredients, cool slightly, spread over mint layer.
    > Cool and cut into suqares.
    >
    > gloria p

    --Bryan

  11. Puester

    Puester Guest

    BoboBonobo wrote:

    > MARGARINE IS NOT FOOD UNLESS YOU'RE A FREAKING IDIOT.
    >

    > --Bryan

    Then evidently my interventional cardiologist is a freaking idiot, but
    I'll take his advice over yours, thanks.

    gloria p

  12. Puester

    Puester Guest

    Chocolate Peppermint Bars (from Colorado Cache Cookbook)
    Makes 24-30 bars (?)

    Layer #1
    2 oz. unsweetened chocolate1/2 cup butter
    2 eggs
    1 cup sugar
    1/2 cup sifted flour
    1/2 c. chopped nuts (optional)

    Melt chocolate and butter. Cteam eggs and sugar. Add flour and
    chocolate mixture. Mix well. Pour into 8x8 inch pan, bake at 350 deg.
    for 20 minutes, turn off oven, leave pan in oven 5 more mintues.

    Layer #2
    1 1/2 cups powdered sugar
    3 Tbsp. butter or margarine
    2-3 Tbsp cream
    1 tsp. peppermint extract
    Note: This layer can be tinted red or green.

    Cream butter and sugar, blend in cream and extract. Spread on cooled
    first layer, Refrigerate till chilled.

    Layer #3
    3 oz. unsweetened chocolate
    3 Tbsp, butter

    Melt together and pour over chilled peppermint layer. Chill. Cut into
    small squares.

    gloria p

  13. Default User

    Default User Guest

    BoboBonobo wrote:

    > http://www.mercola.com/2002/jul/27/trans_fat.htm

    That's the current thinking. New studies may show the opposite next
    year. I love how people have jumped on this "now we KNOW margarine is
    worse" bandwagon. It's something you'd like to hear, so it must be the
    TRUTH!!!!

    We'll see. The best idea is probably (or maybe not) to avoid either.

    Brian

    won't shut up.

  14. BoboBonobo

    BoboBonobo Guest

    Default User wrote:
    > BoboBonobo wrote:
    >

    > > http://www.mercola.com/2002/jul/27/trans_fat.htm

    > That's the current thinking. New studies may show the opposite next
    > year. I love how people have jumped on this "now we KNOW margarine is
    > worse" bandwagon. It's something you'd like to hear, so it must be the
    > TRUTH!!!!

    The research is very clear, and has been for some time.
    Go to: http://www.ncbi.nlm.nih.gov/entrez/query.fcgi

    > We'll see. The best idea is probably (or maybe not) to avoid either.

    Well, I'm not saying butterfat is good for your blood lipids. It is
    not. It's nowhere near as bad as hydrogenated oils, but it's not good
    for you. Too high in palmitic acid. Ah, but aesthetically, it is very
    good.

    > Brian

    --Bryan

  15. Default User

    BoboBonobo wrote:

    > Default User wrote:
    > > BoboBonobo wrote:
    > >

    > > > http://www.mercola.com/2002/jul/27/trans_fat.htm

    > > That's the current thinking. New studies may show the opposite next
    > > year. I love how people have jumped on this "now we KNOW margarine
    > > is worse" bandwagon. It's something you'd like to hear, so it must
    > > be the TRUTH!!!!

    > The research is very clear, and has been for some time.
    > Go to: http://www.ncbi.nlm.nih.gov/entrez/query.fcgi

    The studies I've read are pretty much trending that way, but we've seem
    major reversals in the thinking in the past. I'm not at all convinced
    that there's really that much difference.

    > Well, I'm not saying butterfat is good for your blood lipids. It is
    > not. It's nowhere near as bad as hydrogenated oils, but it's not good
    > for you. Too high in palmitic acid. Ah, but aesthetically, it is
    > very good.

    No doubt. I've switched from margarine use to a much reduced use of
    real butter, and much leaner beef with the fats mostly replaced by
    canola or EVOO in cooking. We'll see.

    Brian

    won't shut up.

  16. Karen wrote:
    > Nancy Young wrote:
    >
    > > *Substitute Land O Lakes Soft baking butter with canola oil.

    > Typo'?
    >
    > What is LoL soft baking butter anyway?
    >
    > Karen

    Land O Lakes has a product - soft baking butter -- that is part butter,
    part canola oil. It's soft from the fridge (for people who can't leave
    a stick on the counter for a while). I think that's what they're
    talking about.

    Still don't know where the mint is, though.

  17. Nancy Young

    Nancy Young Guest

    <[email protected]> wrote in message
    news:[email protected]

    > Karen wrote:
    >> Nancy Young wrote:
    >>
    >> > *Substitute Land O Lakes Soft baking butter with canola oil.

    >> Typo'?
    >>
    >> What is LoL soft baking butter anyway?

    > Land O Lakes has a product - soft baking butter -- that is part butter,
    > part canola oil. It's soft from the fridge (for people who can't leave
    > a stick on the counter for a while). I think that's what they're
    > talking about.

    OHH! Gotcha, that explains the awkward wording, too.
    Thank you.

    nancy

  18. BoboBonobo

    BoboBonobo Guest

    > BoboBonobo wrote:
    >

    > > Default User wrote:

    > > > That's the current thinking. New studies may show the opposite next
    > > > year. I love how people have jumped on this "now we KNOW margarine
    > > > is worse" bandwagon. It's something you'd like to hear, so it must
    > > > be the TRUTH!!!!

    > > The research is very clear, and has been for some time.
    > > Go to: http://www.ncbi.nlm.nih.gov/entrez/query.fcgi

    > The studies I've read are pretty much trending that way, but we've seem
    > major reversals in the thinking in the past. I'm not at all convinced
    > that there's really that much difference.
    >

    > > Well, I'm not saying butterfat is good for your blood lipids. It is
    > > not. It's nowhere near as bad as hydrogenated oils, but it's not good
    > > for you. Too high in palmitic acid. Ah, but aesthetically, it is
    > > very good.

    > No doubt. I've switched from margarine use to a much reduced use of
    > real butter, and much leaner beef with the fats mostly replaced by
    > canola or EVOO in cooking. We'll see.

    Olive oil, great. High polyunsaturate oils like canola, not so great.
    Ideally you could switch from canola to ELOO.

    > Brian

    --Bryan

  19. Default User

    BoboBonobo wrote:

    > Default User wrote:

    > > No doubt. I've switched from margarine use to a much reduced use of
    > > real butter, and much leaner beef with the fats mostly replaced by
    > > canola or EVOO in cooking. We'll see.
    > >

    > Olive oil, great. High polyunsaturate oils like canola, not so great.

    It's not "highly" polyunsaturated, it's similar to peanut oil, about a
    60/40 split mono/poly.

    > Ideally you could switch from canola to ELOO.

    Nah.

    Brian

    won't shut up.

  20. BoboBonobo

    BoboBonobo Guest

    > BoboBonobo wrote:
    >

    > > Default User wrote:

    > > > No doubt. I've switched from margarine use to a much reduced use of
    > > > real butter, and much leaner beef with the fats mostly replaced by
    > > > canola or EVOO in cooking. We'll see.
    > > >

    > > Olive oil, great. High polyunsaturate oils like canola, not so great.

    > It's not "highly" polyunsaturated, it's similar to peanut oil, about a
    > 60/40 split mono/poly.

    I stand corrected.

    > > Ideally you could switch from canola to ELOO.

    > Nah.
    >

    > Brian

    --Bryan