Finding A Bathroom

Corzhens

May 26, 2015
Riders don't normally feel an urge to go to the bathroom simply because of the sweat, body fluids would come out in perspiration instead of the usual route down there. But during rest periods in leisure tours, I find the male cyclists relieving themselves in the grassy area or anywhere where there is a cover like a tree or a wall. With female cyclists, it is not appropriate so the female in the group would look at each other with a pout.

A disadvantage of women riders.. in that department.

The longest ride I've been was 6 hours (70kms), mainly out of the city on dirt roads, and I didn't need to go to the bathroom until I we got back and had one available. Probably if I was doing a century or a longer ride I'd need to stop and pee, but where I live 50kms in any direction would take you to a deserted area where I wouldn't feel *that* bad about having to make a "pit stop" outsided hahah.

If you're really pressed, there's a site (and an app) called SitorSquat which lets you find the closest public restroom. But the locations have to be added by users.

Reactions: SterlingJay0123
Yeah, women do have this problem, being a man in this particular is way more practical, even if I don't agree that professional cyclists do it on the bike lol, that's a little too much! :D

I kind of hate to say it, but me and the other girls I ride with are all perfectly happy to pop a squat and pee in the bushes if need be. It's only if we're nowhere in the vicinity of an actual bathroom, and we go further away from the trail and make sure we're well hidden, but yeah, peeing in the woods is a pretty common occurrence.

Where we all grew up though is like super eco-tourism, hiking, camping, fishing, hunting from a young age, so everyone is kind of used to doing stuff like that :p

If I were a woman I would not mind should I have the urge. If the guys can do it I think a woman should learn how to for her own sake. It is not good for the bladder to hold your urge. I do understand your point though it is not easy anatomically for a woman to relieve herself in the middle of a ride.

sunshiney said:
I kind of hate to say it, but me and the other girls I ride with are all perfectly happy to pop a squat and pee in the bushes if need be. It's only if we're nowhere in the vicinity of an actual bathroom, and we go further away from the trail and make sure we're well hidden, but yeah, peeing in the woods is a pretty common occurrence.

Where we all grew up though is like super eco-tourism, hiking, camping, fishing, hunting from a young age, so everyone is kind of used to doing stuff like that :p
It's good if you have some other girl riders with you. But when you are alone riding with the men, it's kind of embarrassing sometimes to ask for a respite because of the call of nature. I have 8 brothers so you may say that I am not alienated by the male riders. In fact, I sometimes see them do their thing on the grassy area along the way. Maybe if I have some company (female) then I wouldn't hesitate to do it on the grass.

Yes, I always found that the universe just had it easier for men when it comes to many things, this one in particular. It is so easy for them to just go pee wherever they want to, as soon as there are not many people around; for women it is considered a bad thing for some reason, like we are being frown upon, degraded, made jokes of, etc. Such a double standard.

Frowned upon? I don't think so! Tell you what, go cycling with a group of 10 male riders. Tell them you have to tinkle and need a volunteer to hold your hands as resistance so you can squat. I bet you get 9 volunteers willing to help you! :D

I generally don't pee when I'm outside, as long as I can handle it. I pee before going out and usually can hold it until we get home. Whenever I'm biking, I don't usually feel the urge to pee. I don't bike for more than two hours though. And I usually bike just around our village or in our little complex park. But I see that for professional bikers, it can be difficult to hold the pee in.

To be honest I don't think I've ever ridden for that long in an area where I couldn't find a bathroom so it's not a situation that I've had to deal with.

Being male though it woild be easy for me anyway to go behind the nearest tree but it still wouldn't be ideal!

To be honest I don't think I've ever ridden for that long in an area where I couldn't find a bathroom so it's not a situation that I've had to deal with.

Being male though it woild be easy for me anyway to go behind the nearest tree but it still wouldn't be ideal!

Yeah that's what I do, although I tend to ride long distance sometimes through the woods where there's no toilet. Funny story, once I stopped on the side of the road and went few meters into the woods to make a number one, saw a bear, and nearly made a number two! :D

Reactions: Bicycleman
I'm male and have a 2 hour bladder. In 13 US states, getting caught urinating outdoors publicaly can get you in big trouble. You can be identified as a sex offender and your name and address will be posted all over the place on the internet in addition to legal penalties. I look for parks or construction sites. Both tend to have a least a porta potty.

Here in the UK urinating in a public place also gets you a hefty fine but if your in the middle of nowhere there's not much chance of being caught.

I'm obviously not saying when your cycling through the city centre on a Saturday afternoon and need to go then you should urinate on the nearest shop window or anything like that!

Where I'm from women aren't afraid to take a squat in the bushes whether they area with males or females. It's just nature i think

TOTAL SUCCESS!

Pull one of your trouser legs up as far as possible. Hold it from the inside with two hands: one at the front and put your other hand behind your back and grab the bib shorts from that position.

Now pull the trouser leg as far as you can towards the opposite leg. The position of the hands is crucial in this respect. If you don’t follow the instructions correctly you’ll end up with wet hands. If you do it correctly, there’s an opening big enough to pee through. This will NOT work with knicker bibs (sorry ladies who live in cold climates … maybe ride with leg warmers instead of knickers?). It also doesn’t work all that well with your super-tight-fit racing kits and I’m pretty sure it would be damn near impossible to do this in a skin suit, but maybe with practice + intense forearm/grip strength it could be done. Squat and pee. Do not squat as low as you would for a squatty potty. You need just a mid-range bend of the knee so that you can shimmy and angle your hips away from the stream as needed.

I am pretty sure that this only works in an open field environment. I can’t imagine trying to aim into a hole. But if you’ve got a pre-made hole, then you probably also have a roof over your head and walls surrounding you, so you might as well take the extra 90 seconds to disrobe. This methodology is both speedy and demure, as there is virtually no exposed skin. If there is a passer-by s/he won’t see any nude body parts, let alone intimate nude body parts.

Have fun! Let me know how it goes.

Wow I've never been on a long tour like that but I hadn't thought about nature calling. I had always assumed that there would be gas stations and things on the way that you could make a pit stop at. Where I'm from it's a pretty rural area so it's not uncommon to be deep in the woods and just decide to do your thing instead of trekking three miles back home and then three miles back to wherever you were. lol

I think it's important to make sure that there are places to stop along the way for if you need a drink or a toilet stop. If you make sure that there is somewhere you could stop every half hour, which means that you could make sure you were more comfortable for the rest of your journey. Nothing is worse than a long journey where there is nowhere that you can stop along the way.

Riders don't normally feel an urge to go to the bathroom simply because of the sweat, body fluids would come out in perspiration instead of the usual route down there. But during rest periods in leisure tours, I find the male cyclists relieving themselves in the grassy area or anywhere where there is a cover like a tree or a wall. With female cyclists, it is not appropriate so the female in the group would look at each other with a pout.

A disadvantage of women riders.. in that department.

I'm sure many of you have heard of this before, but there is the "She-wee" which is actually very helpful. It can be found at many regular retailers, and usually found in the camping section. I have used it before, and I felt rather funny doing it, but it was much easier than trying to either hold it in until I could get to a restroom, or let nature take it's course in nature. There are some that have little containers so you don't drop any. I hope this helps!

Reactions: Corzhens
I am not too picky when looking for a bathroom. All I aim for is privacy, so if no one is watching I just do it anywhere ahah.