Finding bike rides?

Discussion in 'rec.bicycles.rides archive' started by Jeff Shapiro, Mar 11, 2003.

  1. Jeff Shapiro

    Jeff Shapiro Guest

    I was wondering where people go looking on the internet to find bicycle rides. Especially,
    "major" organized events (centuries, multi-day rides). Are there any good data bases of bike
    rides out there?

    thanks jeff

    Tags:

  2. Roy Zipris

    Roy Zipris Guest

    Jeff Shapiro <[email protected]> wrote in message
    news:<[email protected]>...
    > I was wondering where people go looking on the internet to find bicycle rides. Especially,
    > "major" organized events (centuries, multi-day rides). Are there any good data bases of bike
    > rides out there?

    A search for "bike clubs" should turn up a number of club web sites. Look in your area for local
    club web sites, which often provide links to other clubs and major event rides in the club's general
    region. For example, the assistant webmaster of one local club to which I belong has an amazing,
    compendious listing of events along along the Northeast and Mid-Atlantic.

    Or tell people here what part of the world you live in and ask what goes on there: someone in this
    group will know where to direct you, and even people who don't know will likely give you advice.
    --Roy Zipris

  3. Jeff Shapiro

    Jeff Shapiro Guest

    In article <[email protected]>, [email protected] (Roy Zipris) wrote:

    > Jeff Shapiro <[email protected]> wrote in message I was wondering where people go
    > looking on the internet to find bicycle
    > > rides. Especially, "major" organized events (centuries, multi-day rides). Are there any good
    > > data bases of bike rides out there?
    >
    > A search for "bike clubs" should turn up a number of club web sites. Look in your area for local
    > club web sites, which often provide links to other clubs and major event rides in the club's
    > general region. For example, the assistant webmaster of one local club to which I belong has an
    > amazing, compendious listing of events along along the Northeast and Mid-Atlantic.
    >
    > Or tell people here what part of the world you live in and ask what goes on there: someone in this
    > group will know where to direct you, and even people who don't know will likely give you advice.
    > --Roy Zipris

    I've done a bunch of searching for bike clubs and bike events. I was mainly wondering if people had
    a favorite place to go (e.g. Active.com, WebBound.com, bicycle-rides.com).

    The main reason that I'm asking is because I'm the webmaster (and past bike club newsletter editor)
    for an upcoming event the Colorado Springs, CO, USA, and I would like to see about getting
    information listed on sites that people happen to like. (I will be posting a message or two here
    once I can finally get all the information I need. :)

    jeff

  4. Emily

    Emily Guest

    Good advice. For example, the bike club I am in (Chapel Hill/Durham area of North Carolina) lists a
    zillion non-club events on their site. Go to www.tarwheels.org and click on the "other events" link.
    Many of the events are in surrounding states (Virginia, SC, etc.)

    Good luck! Emily

    "Roy Zipris" <[email protected]> wrote in message
    news:[email protected]...
    > Jeff Shapiro <[email protected]> wrote in message
    news:<[email protected]>...
    > > I was wondering where people go looking on the internet to find bicycle rides. Especially,
    > > "major" organized events (centuries, multi-day rides). Are there any good data bases of bike
    > > rides out there?
    >
    > A search for "bike clubs" should turn up a number of club web sites. Look in your area for local
    > club web sites, which often provide links to other clubs and major event rides in the club's
    > general region. For example, the assistant webmaster of one local club to which I belong has an
    > amazing, compendious listing of events along along the Northeast and Mid-Atlantic.
    >
    > Or tell people here what part of the world you live in and ask what goes on there: someone in this
    > group will know where to direct you, and even people who don't know will likely give you advice.
    > --Roy Zipris

  5. Mike Kruger

    Mike Kruger Guest

    "Jeff Shapiro" <[email protected]> wrote in message
    news:[email protected]st9.newsfeeds.com...

    > I was wondering where people go looking on the internet to find bicycle rides. Especially,
    > "major" organized events (centuries, multi-day rides). Are there any good data bases of bike
    > rides out there?

    Where are you? If you are in the U.S. Midwest, Mike Bentley has a good site listing lots of rides:
    http://www.mikebentley.com/bike/

    --
    Mike Kruger ..."Necessity is the plea for every infringement of human freedom. It is the argument of
    tyrants; it is the creed of slaves." --William Pitt, The Younger (1759-1806)

  6. Jack19446

    Jack19446 Guest

    Here is a list of event calendars complements of Suburban Cyclists Unlimited
    <http://www.suburbancyclists.org>. Some of these are national and some are mid-Atlantic only:

    SCU Calendar <http://www.suburbancyclists.org/calendar.htm>

    BCP calendar <http://www.phillybikeclub.org/events.html>

    Bicycle Exchange Ride Previews (PA, OH, and WV only)<http://www.bikexchange.com/ridepre.htm>

    Bicycling Magazine's Event Finder <http://205.147.231.71/EventSource.asp>

    Bike Highway <http://www.bikehighway.com/ridescal.htm>

    <http://bicycle-rides.com> is a searchable database of bicycle events, shops, and clubs throughout
    the continental United States. When you use this calendar, set the "Not before" date to today's date
    to not display past events.

    <http://www.bikeride.com>

    C-Quad Cycling's Ride Finder <http://www.cquad.org/search.html>

    League of American Bicyclists (L.A.B.): <http://www.bikeleague.org/rideguide.htm> and
    <http://www.bikeleague.org/bestbiking/index.html>

    Local Sport (bicycling, running, and multi-sport events) <http://www.localsport.com>

    The Good Cyclist - 1,000 charity rides in 37 countries <http://www.goodcyclist.org>

    "Mike Kruger" <[email protected]> wrote in message
    news:<[email protected]>...
    > "Jeff Shapiro" <[email protected]> wrote in message
    > news:[email protected]...
    > >
    > > I was wondering where people go looking on the internet to find bicycle rides. Especially,
    > > "major" organized events (centuries, multi-day rides). Are there any good data bases of bike
    > > rides out there?
    > >
    > Where are you? If you are in the U.S. Midwest, Mike Bentley has a good site listing lots of rides:
    > http://www.mikebentley.com/bike/

  7. Jeff Shapiro

    Jeff Shapiro Guest

    Jack,

    Thanks for all the tips. I've been doing a fair amount of searching lately, and many of this I
    haven't seen before.

    jeff

    In article <[email protected]>, [email protected] (Jack19446) wrote:

    > Here is a list of event calendars complements of Suburban Cyclists Unlimited
    > <http://www.suburbancyclists.org>. Some of these are national and some are mid-Atlantic only:
    >
    > SCU Calendar <http://www.suburbancyclists.org/calendar.htm>
    >
    > BCP calendar <http://www.phillybikeclub.org/events.html>
    >
    > Bicycle Exchange Ride Previews (PA, OH, and WV only)<http://www.bikexchange.com/ridepre.htm>
    >
    > Bicycling Magazine's Event Finder <http://205.147.231.71/EventSource.asp>
    >
    > Bike Highway <http://www.bikehighway.com/ridescal.htm>
    >
    > <http://bicycle-rides.com> is a searchable database of bicycle events, shops, and clubs throughout
    > the continental United States. When you use this calendar, set the "Not before" date to today's
    > date to not display past events.
    >
    > <http://www.bikeride.com>
    >
    > C-Quad Cycling's Ride Finder <http://www.cquad.org/search.html>
    >
    > League of American Bicyclists (L.A.B.): <http://www.bikeleague.org/rideguide.htm> and
    > <http://www.bikeleague.org/bestbiking/index.html>
    >
    > Local Sport (bicycling, running, and multi-sport events) <http://www.localsport.com>
    >
    > The Good Cyclist - 1,000 charity rides in 37 countries <http://www.goodcyclist.org>
    >

    > "Mike Kruger" <[email protected]> wrote in message
    > news:<[email protected]>...
    > > "Jeff Shapiro" <[email protected]> wrote in message
    > > news:[email protected]...
    > > >
    > > > I was wondering where people go looking on the internet to find bicycle rides. Especially,
    > > > "major" organized events (centuries, multi-day rides). Are there any good data bases of bike
    > > > rides out there?
    > > >
    > > Where are you? If you are in the U.S. Midwest, Mike Bentley has a good site listing lots of
    > > rides: http://www.mikebentley.com/bike/

  8. David Storm

    David Storm Guest

    For Western US look at: http://www.bbcnet.com/RideCalendar/RideListDate.asp

    Also check out http://www.bikelane.com/ for ride and other bike info.

    "Mike Kruger" <[email protected]> wrote in message
    news:[email protected]...
    > "Jeff Shapiro" <emailDELE[email protected]> wrote in message
    > news:[email protected]...
    > >
    > > I was wondering where people go looking on the internet to find bicycle rides. Especially,
    > > "major" organized events (centuries, multi-day rides). Are there any good data bases of bike
    > > rides out there?
    > >
    > Where are you? If you are in the U.S. Midwest, Mike Bentley has a good site listing lots
    of
    > rides: http://www.mikebentley.com/bike/
    >
    > --
    > Mike Kruger ..."Necessity is the plea for every infringement of human freedom. It is
    the
    > argument of tyrants; it is the creed of slaves." --William Pitt, The Younger (1759-1806)

  9. John Sontag

    John Sontag Guest

    A nationwide searchable database is www.bicycle-rides.com