Finding it difficult

Ezeetyger

Guest
I am finding it difficult to lose more weight, I have been stuck at 10st 1lb for what seems like
an eternity. My aim is for 9.5st and I just cannot get there. My target points are 20, my
average day is

2 x slices of white bread (toast) with ASDA good for you butter 1 x 400g Heinz Tomato Soup with 2 x
slices of white bread with ASDA good for you butter 1 Onken Bio Yoghurt For dinner smallish grilled
turkey piece (about size of plam of hand) Carrots, Broccoli and Cauliflower (all steamed)
Tablespoon of mashed potato (with ASDA good for you butter) Bisto Gravy 8 x cups of tea, semi
skimmed milk and no sugar

On an evening I jog about 800 meters

What am I doing wrong?

"ezeetyger" <[email protected]> wrote in message
news:[email protected]...
> I am finding it difficult to lose more weight, I have been stuck at 10st 1lb for what seems like
> an eternity. My aim is for 9.5st and I just cannot get there. My target points are 20, my
> average day is
>
> 2 x slices of white bread (toast) with ASDA good for you butter 1 x 400g Heinz Tomato Soup with 2
> x slices of white bread with ASDA good for you butter 1 Onken Bio Yoghurt For dinner smallish
> grilled turkey piece (about size of plam of hand) Carrots, Broccoli and Cauliflower (all steamed)
> Tablespoon of mashed potato (with ASDA good for you butter) Bisto Gravy 8 x cups of tea, semi
> skimmed milk and no sugar
>
> On an evening I jog about 800 meters
>
> What am I doing wrong?

It seems like you're eating way too much white bread. Maybe try eating more fruits and vegetables,
more fiber, and more protein.

My guess is you aren't eating enough. I'm not using any technical formula, just
estimating off the top of my head. What you list for your typical day, I come up
with the following points:

2 slices bread (2pts) tomato soup (maybe 3 points?) more bread (2pts) yogurt (2pts) 3 oz grilled
turkey (2pts - if breast) steamed veggies (0 pts) gravy (maybe 1 pt, but probably not) 1T mashed
potatoes (geeeeeesh, I wouldn't even count 1T as eating) 8cups tea with milk (how much milk?
maybe 1 pt)

My guestimates show 12 pts not including the butter which I have no idea what it is ... but taking
the name *good for you* I'm figuring it low in points. You're drinking lots of tea, but what about
the water? You could very easily be dehydrated which will only make your body hold more water. Add
in your jogging - and looks very clearly to me that you have put your body into starvation mode
bigtime. It definitely looks to me like no way are you getting your fruit/veggie servings into the
day, not much in the way of protein either. If you want to lose, you have to eat.

Try adding some protein and fruit into your day, eat more fiber, drink more water. If I were you,
I'd almost double what you are eating now. You may see the scales go up the first two or three weeks
- but stick with it. They will decline again as your body figures out that you are no longer trying
to starve it.

Joyce

On 6 Jan 2004 07:19:41 -0800, [email protected] (ezeetyger) wrote:

>I am finding it difficult to lose more weight, I have been stuck at 10st 1lb for what seems like
>an eternity. My aim is for 9.5st and I just cannot get there. My target points are 20, my
>average day is
>
>2 x slices of white bread (toast) with ASDA good for you butter 1 x 400g Heinz Tomato Soup with 2 x
>slices of white bread with ASDA good for you butter 1 Onken Bio Yoghurt For dinner smallish grilled
>turkey piece (about size of plam of hand) Carrots, Broccoli and Cauliflower (all steamed)
>Tablespoon of mashed potato (with ASDA good for you butter) Bisto Gravy 8 x cups of tea, semi
>skimmed milk and no sugar
>
>On an evening I jog about 800 meters
>
>What am I doing wrong?

I'm with Joyce in that I think you are eating too little food. The quality of your food choices
could use a little work too.

Off the top of my head: I would substitute lowfat/high fiber bread and add more protein to your
sandwich. Have high fiber cereal with skim milk instead of the bread for breakfast. Add fruits & veggies-
lots of veggies are 0 points for more volume of food. Aim for 5 servings per day. Add milk and dairy
products. Aim for 4 servings (1/2 cup) per day For the same amount of points as your lunch you could
have 3oz chicken breast and a salad. As for only having a tablespoon of mashed potatoe, you are
torturing yourself. Have a normal serving size which is a 1/2 cup for just a few points. Its the
butter, milk and gravy that add the points on. Lastly, swap your 8 cups of tea for 8 cups of water.

Good luck.

"ezeetyger" <[email protected]> wrote in message
news:[email protected]...
> I am finding it difficult to lose more weight, I have been stuck at 10st 1lb for what seems like
> an eternity. My aim is for 9.5st and I just cannot get there. My target points are 20, my
> average day is
>
> 2 x slices of white bread (toast) with ASDA good for you butter 1 x 400g Heinz Tomato Soup with 2
> x slices of white bread with ASDA good for you butter 1 Onken Bio Yoghurt For dinner smallish
> grilled turkey piece (about size of plam of hand) Carrots, Broccoli and Cauliflower (all steamed)
> Tablespoon of mashed potato (with ASDA good for you butter) Bisto Gravy 8 x cups of tea, semi
> skimmed milk and no sugar
>
> On an evening I jog about 800 meters
>
> What am I doing wrong?

I thought the same thing about the white bread. I'd switch it to whole wheat with high fiber, and
lower the amount slightly. I don't do low carb, but lose better when I do lowER carb.

Carol

318/237.6/169
81.4 lost since December 2002
I am a slim person in process.
news:[email protected]...

Joyce <[email protected]> wrote in message news:<[email protected]>...
> My guess is you aren't eating enough. I'm not using any technical formula, just estimating off the
> top of my head. What you list for your typical day, I come up with the following points:
>
> 2 slices bread (2pts) tomato soup (maybe 3 points?) more bread (2pts) yogurt (2pts) 3 oz grilled
> turkey (2pts - if breast) steamed veggies (0 pts) gravy (maybe 1 pt, but probably not)

No gravy, thought it would add to my points intake

> 1T mashed potatoes (geeeeeesh, I wouldn't even count 1T as eating)

Mashed potatoes, used ASDA butter again, but only put about 1 tablespoon of potatoes on my plate)

> 8cups tea with milk (how much milk? maybe 1 pt)

(only a small amount of milk, I probably in total used 1/4 pint all day and its semi skimmed
and no sugar)

> My guestimates show 12 pts not including the butter which I have no idea what it is ... but taking
> the name *good for you* I'm figuring it low in points.

Oh I thought I was eating too much, the butter is a very low fat butter by ASDA. Its about 1/2 point
for 1 tablespoon. Being the strange person that I am I actually do not like water, is that ok to
dilute with a Trace fruity cordial?

I lost a stone in about 8 weeks, and now it just will not shift

it seems you need more variety and are you sure you are eating enough, when
I do not eat enough I do not lose, Lee
ezeetyger <[email protected]> wrote in message
news:[email protected]...
> I am finding it difficult to lose more weight, I have been stuck at 10st 1lb for what seems like
> an eternity. My aim is for 9.5st and I just cannot get there. My target points are 20, my
> average day is
>
> 2 x slices of white bread (toast) with ASDA good for you butter 1 x 400g Heinz Tomato Soup with 2
> x slices of white bread with ASDA good for you butter 1 Onken Bio Yoghurt For dinner smallish
> grilled turkey piece (about size of plam of hand) Carrots, Broccoli and Cauliflower (all steamed)
> Tablespoon of mashed potato (with ASDA good for you butter) Bisto Gravy 8 x cups of tea, semi
> skimmed milk and no sugar
>
> On an evening I jog about 800 meters
>
> What am I doing wrong?

I was wondering how many points in the bread you are eating. If it is
regular then you need to cut back/switch to get more points to eat, if you
are already eating a lower point bread then you are starving yourself. Lee

On 6 Jan 2004 12:17:07 -0800, [email protected] (ezeetyger) wrote:

>Joyce <[email protected]> wrote in message news:<[email protected]>...
>> My guess is you aren't eating enough. I'm not using any technical formula, just estimating off
>> the top of my head. What you list for your typical day, I come up with the following points:
>>
>> 2 slices bread (2pts) tomato soup (maybe 3 points?) more bread (2pts) yogurt (2pts) 3 oz grilled
>> turkey (2pts - if breast) steamed veggies (0 pts) gravy (maybe 1 pt, but probably not)
>
>No gravy, thought it would add to my points intake
>
>> 1T mashed potatoes (geeeeeesh, I wouldn't even count 1T as eating)
>
>Mashed potatoes, used ASDA butter again, but only put about 1 tablespoon of potatoes on my plate)

And the reason for this was why? Because you were again afraid of the points involved? Mashed
potatoes are about 2 points per 1/2 cup - definitely doable.

>> 8cups tea with milk (how much milk? maybe 1 pt)
>
>(only a small amount of milk, I probably in total used 1/4 pint all day and its semi skimmed and
>no sugar)

1/4 pint = 1/2 cup = about 1 point

>> My guestimates show 12 pts not including the butter which I have no idea what it is ... but
>> taking the name *good for you* I'm figuring it low in points.
>

>Oh I thought I was eating too much, the butter is a very low fat butter by ASDA. Its about 1/2
>point for 1 tablespoon. Being the strange person that I am I actually do not like water, is that ok
>to dilute with a Trace fruity cordial?

If you start adding things to your water, you will have to take those points into account also - as
well as probably pumping even more into you. Why waste the points on liquids? Your body NEEDS the
water, as well as the energy that is aquired from good foods. Try buying bottled water if you don't
like tap water - but maybe you just need to get accustomed to water. The only other option would be
to switch to decaf tea - but plain water is still the best way to go.

Are you attending ww meetings, or going this route on your own? If attending meetings, I am really
surprised that your counselor hasn't read over your journals and told you that you are not eating
enough. If you are going your own, it appears you don't have a good grasp on point values or what
you should be eating.

Keep reading here, post frequently, do some research and you should be able to get on the right
track fairly quickly. Here's an example of what I have eaten today - think I am pretty close to your
20 point target:

Breakfast:
2/2 cup scrambled eggbeaters, added salsa and chopped artichokes - 1 point 2 thin slices canadian
bacon - 1 point 2 slices light wheat toast - 1 point
3/4 cup mixed berries - 1 point

Lunch: 2 slices light wheat bread - 1 point 2 ounces thin sliced turkey breast w/ mustard, tomato,
lettuce - 1 point dill pickles - 0 points 1 cup cut up mixed fruit - 1 point zucchini slices/cherry
tomatoes - 0 points

Snack: apple - 2 pts

Dinner: 4 ounces baked pork tenderloin - 4pts 8 ounces (about 1 cup) baked cubed butternut squash -
2pts broccoli, green beans, mushrooms, carrots - 0 points salad w/crumbled blue cheese and light
1000 dressing - 3 pts

Snack: 1 small cube homemade fudge - 1pt 7 ounces cut up watermelon - 1pt

Do you see how much more food I have eaten than you, for those same 20 points? No way are you coming
anywhere close to 20 points with what you are eating. I try and get some lean protein, fruit or
veggies into every meal. There is still room for some treats in there - 5 points worth if you figure
those flexpoints ... I'm just not hungry today.

>I lost a stone in about 8 weeks, and now it just will not shift

That does not surprise me at all. Your body has become used to surviving on next to nothing and now
is trying to preserve everything and anything that it can. Can you honestly say you can spend the
rest of your life eating as little as you are now? If not, that weight is going to come on quicker
than you took it off ... as well as your metabolism becoming permanently messed up.

Joyce