Finding Start Location Of Strava Ride

BobCochran

May 3, 2015
I just signed up as a "free" member of Strava. I want to duplicate another person's ride.

Forgive my innocence, but how do I find the exact starting point of some other person's ride? I see the ride route listed on my iPhone, no problem. But how do I find the precise spot where this person began his ride -- accurate to within a foot or so? Yeah, I'm using an iPhone for now, not a Garmin device.

Also, if I am a free member, can I still ride another person's route (which is already published on Strava), and then compare my results to the other person's? Or do I have to become a premium member for that?

Thanks a ton

Bob

Reactions: nonicenevefa75
If I look at another person's ride I click on their map.

I zoom in using the +/- on the left upper side.

Then click on "satellite" view to see exactly where they started.

BUT!!!! It is a feature on Strava that some riders use that somewhat covers up their exact point so that other posters can not trace them from their house or place of employment etc. So depending on the other person you want to compare rides, you might not be able to track his exact location within a certain distance covered up by Strava. ;)

Attachments

• 01st.JPG
    01st.JPG
    59.7 KB · Views: 11
Reactions: BobCochran
To compare your rides with another rider is the purpose of Strava. SO you need not be a paid member.

Matter of fact, you will be compared with every single rider that has ridden in the same ride you ride. Well same segments (sections).

Keep in mind that many riders set segments as short sections of an entire ride. Like our 44 mile ride. A rider may create a section that is only 1/2 mile long. Let's say he creates that section and names it "1/2 mile Time trial". Then every body who happens to ride that section will be listed on that section and placed in order.

So that fact that we ride 44 miles, we happen to do 50-60 segments on our ride (which have been created by others over time).

If you ride a section of the ride your friend rides. you will automatically be listed on that segment's results. Wherever you cross paths.

If you wanted to compare yourself on the same exact ride. You would have to do that ride then list it as a segment. If the ride is 20 miles long, you'd have to create that 20 miler as a segment. But I don't think your friend would automatically be listed on that ride until he does that same exact ride again. Rider only get listed on a segment after it is created. Strava doesn't look back into history and record past rides.

To make it easy to compare rides on Strava, one may follow other riders. Much like facebook. Then you are connected.

SO if you ride a segment. Let's say a 1 mile long segment that somebody created in the past, you will be compared to everybody who has done that segment. In my case it is 8,000 riders. If you live in a less traveled area, your list may only include 8 riders.

So if you click on the segment that you are curious about, it will list all the results of all the riders. 1 through 100. It will show you the first 9 listed, then a gap and then the last 5 or so listed.

Click just below that box where it says "full leader board", it will open another page that has a list (toward the left side) that allows you to compare with your own results, compare with people you are following, this year.

Also a couple other comparisons against riders in the same weight class and same age group. THESE ARE THE ONLY DIFFERENCES WITH THE PAID MEMBERSHIP. Free memberships cannot compare with age and weight. SO really a paid membership on Strava is not missing much. SO it's more about supporting the site rather than gaining a whole lot of extras.

Quote by BC:
"...accurate to within a foot or so?"

Good luck with that.

Quote by Mr. B:
"SO really a paid membership on Strava is not missing much. SO it's more about supporting the site rather than gaining a whole lot of extras.:

I thought segment approach and real-time on the segment was only with Premium Membership.

Probably won't work trying to start at the exact point... Just start 100m before or something.

If its times you are after getting in the segment with some speed is probably a good idea.

Strava Expensive©®™ lets you connect hr monitors, live segments if you have mobile data etc...

Doing some challenges also unlocks some t-shirts from their online shop.

It can be fun but there are some Strava related accidents and some of the segments go through traffic lights etc... Probably better not to become too obsessed with it...

CAMPYBOB said:
I thought segment approach and real-time on the segment was only with Premium Membership.
Ah, I never use it and it seems one needs a phone or Edge 520. I have a 500 so I guess that's why I never worried about it. Plus I wouldn't have worried about even had I known. :lol:

The 510 has also been updated to be able to use theLive Segments, segment timing, other riders' locations, etc., but only for paying playas.

Thanks guys! I really appreciate all the help and tips. I recorded my ride from work to home tonight for the first time and I do see there is a segment of this ride that someone else did. I'm getting the hang of using the map. I'm also "following" a local rider (whom I've never met) named Collin Magnetti. This Saturday, if possible, I want to try and ride exactly the same ride that he did in this area a couple months ago.

I will play with Strava this week but right now my attention is on buying warmer cycling clothes. Did I ever freeze this morning on the way to work.

Mr. Beanz, a thousand thanks for explaining Strava to me. I'll be referring to your posts for a while.

Maydog, here is a question that isn't exactly Strava-ish, but I need to ask: in the first video link, where do I find similar, nicely fitting jerseys and tights like the "GCN" riders are wearing? Is there some company that specializes in it? You don't need to go to an extra effort here, I'm sure those jerseys and tights cost a fortune. And maybe my soul wishes I were as skinny as those riders in the video, too!

Thanks a ton!

Bob

Reactions: Mr. Beanz
Bollin Magnetti is the racer that publishes his videos here on CF and YouTube...nice guy and a good racer.

CAMPYBOB said:
Bollin Magnetti is the racer that publishes his videos here on CF and YouTube...nice guy and a good racer.

Unsēr! Celebrity! :D