Finding The Right Tire

SilentGTboy

Mar 29, 2004
Alright, I've been riding my mountain bike on-road and it's eating my back tire and I've barely had the bike. I don't want a road tire though because I ride on alot of soft terrain also. I would like to find the right off-road tire for my needs and wrap it in duct tape when I ride unless there is a better way.

I ride at this abandoned phosphate mine and the surrounding areas. There is thick white sand, thin grass, water, mud, clay, and soft dirt to medium dirt to gravel roads. There is just alot of diffrent terrain in this little area. I can avoid the sand, I just need a good tire for the other low traction conditions. Since this is florida there isn't any mountain to climb, Just hills with a steep incline. Everything else is mostly flat. I would like to get a wide tire while keeping everything lightweight so something under 2.5in but has big treads. Everytime I go through mud or wet sand it gets stuck between the treads giving me a heavy tire with little traction. Is there a super tire out there like the one I'm looking for??

Is there a super tire? no

If you are going to ride a lot on road then you will either eat a lot of tires or you can fit a road tire. You may be able to get a semi slick tire but grip will be compromised on anything but hardpack.

A light big bag tire? again they don't really exist. Your best bet will be a 2.1 in something like a Hutchison scorpion or maybe a Panaracer fire XC pro.

Anything at 2.3 or bigger has really been designed for DH or freeride and they tend to be heavy.

i have the pansaracer fire sc pro and it lasted about 3 month with a lot of on road and off road use with still a good bit of good grip on it.It pretty much a useless tire on falt wet surfaces as i have experienced a few times.

Well I'd like to get a street bike but I'm short on cash.

How about a wide tire with aggresive treads and a good mud/wet sand shedding ability without being too heavy for small hills.