Fined by police!

mongrel79

Nov 22, 2006
Well I'm £30 worse off today - skipped a red light by a mere second to get in front of an 18 wheeler at roadworks in London and it turns out there's an unmarked car with FIVE policmen in it beside me. End result a £30 ticket for "509 - contravening automatic traffic signals"
Haven't they got anything better to do? To be fair, yeah I did break the law, but who doesn't, at least occasionally...
Well they took down all my details and a description of me, so now I'm wondering what'll happen if I get busted again... Any repeat offenders in the cafe?

mongrel79 said:
Well I'm £30 worse off today - skipped a red light by a mere second to get in front of an 18 wheeler at roadworks in London and it turns out there's an unmarked car with FIVE policmen in it beside me. End result a £30 ticket for "509 - contravening automatic traffic signals"
Haven't they got anything better to do? To be fair, yeah I did break the law, but who doesn't, at least occasionally...
Well they took down all my details and a description of me, so now I'm wondering what'll happen if I get busted again... Any repeat offenders in the cafe?
This is interesting because yesterday someone on another cycling forum site also complained that they'd been stopped and fined for red light jumping.
It would seem that right now the police don't have anything better to do.
You'd best behave from now on.

your the nob.. your on a bike, theres no way for them to indentfy you,, unless you pee your pants like a little girl and give them your real name.

My mummy always told me to tell the truth to policemen so that's what I do. My bladder problems are a completely unrelated issue. And anyway, they saw the namebadge she'd sewn onto my bag in case I lost it again.

complience said:
your the nob.. your on a bike, theres no way for them to indentfy you,, unless you pee your pants like a little girl and give them your real name.
Complience... that's irony I take it.

And the poor grammar is deliberate and not just ignorance?

You try lying to the police and you may get away with it or you may find yourself in deeper ****.

Yeah but behave - think what that means! Never jumping a red light when I ride 30kms a day in London? Let's face it - it's not gonna happen. I'm conscientious, never squeeze between pedestrians or hold up traffic, but I do skip reds when it's safer for me to get ahead of traffic. Or maybe sometimes when it's safe and I'm bored waiting for em... I really hope I was just unlucky doing it in front of an unmarked car and there isn;t some crackdown...

30 kms a day? That's about 18 miles; less than me then. I do wait at the reds, perhaps you're one of those irritating people who take the opportunity to get ahead of me then.
If you think that life's too short to wait at lights then you'll just have to accept the odd £30 fine.

Aww come on - I'm always fully respectful to my fellow road users*, especially pedestrians other cyclists. I just don't sit at every red, and the fact is the majority of cyclists don't. My occasional red light jumping neither endangers nor inconveniences anyone. You're probably right though - if I'm gonna carry on doing it I'll have to accept the odd fine. I would just hope the police might use a bit of common sense in doling them out and turn a blind eye to 'sensible' jumping....
*Except shiny Range Rovers in urban areas

Have you been following the great "Proposed Changes to the Highway Code" saga?

This link gives an indication of how much harm your red light jumping can do. A debate, in The House of Lords, concerning an issue that could have profound consequences for all British cyclists, turns into a round of condemnation of cyclists as soon as someone mentions red light jumping.

http://www.theyworkforyou.com/lords/?id=2007-05-17a.288.2&s=speaker%3A13512#g288.4

If the debate goes against us, it'll be your fault!

mongrel79 said:
My mummy always told me to tell the truth to policemen so that's what I do. My bladder problems are a completely unrelated issue. And anyway, they saw the namebadge she'd sewn onto my bag in case I lost it again.
Lesson learned then, get your self some fake id if your not good at lying.

Don Shipp said:
Have you been following the great "Proposed Changes to the Highway Code" saga?

This link gives an indication of how much harm your red light jumping can do. A debate, in The House of Lords, concerning an issue that could have profound consequences for all British cyclists, turns into a round of condemnation of cyclists as soon as someone mentions red light jumping.

http://www.theyworkforyou.com/lords/?id=2007-05-17a.288.2&s=speaker%3A13512#g288.4

If the debate goes against us, it'll be your fault!
Hmmmmm. Looks like they're debating over forcing us to use cycle lanes? - that'd be ****. I've got some really **** cycle lanes on my route. Will keep an eye on the noble lords see what they get up to - thanks for the link.

If I broke the law and I got fined, I would have a choice. Follow the laws to avoid the fines or pay an ocasional fine ais the consequence of my actions.

I suspect that the police aren't getting more picky, I think you just hapened to do it in front of an officer... I have done rolling stops in a car or on a bike many times in my 50 years of life, and I have been stopped a couple of times. It is just the odds that you will be stopped eventually... I also had a friend point out to me that I am like the majority of people, and don't come to a complete stop at a stop sign unless someone else is at an intersection. For a while this made me more alert, and now with your message, I may be more alert again... or not.

As an additional possible factor, I know in some locations, new officers are required to stop everyone for even the smallest violations until they are past their probationary period... With several police in the car you may have been in this sort of situation.

On this topic, I decided to do a bit of looking around, and signed up to a police forum to see what their take on things is (this forum, by the way, makes fascinating reading).
Jumping reds is for some down to their discretion whether they let it go or not. For others it seems to be a matter of principal to do so. It's a bit messy cos cut and pasted from another forum, but here you go:

*peteratsea

Just out of curiosity, as I see this happening all the time, if a pedal cyclist goes through a red light without stopping, does he or she receive the same type of endorsable fixed penalty as a motorist in say a car would receive or is it a different offence because a cycle is not mechanical?

*Jibba Jabba

No, the penalty is a £30 non endorsable ticket - no points.

*peteratsea

Thanks for the answer. I only wish the police would crack down on this a lot more. It happens so often !

*freestyler_onli

The only problem is, the state some of the cyclists are in when we arrive at the ''scene'' makes it impossible for us to issue the tickets............. if you get what i mean :?

*Traffic Bob

Errgh. I've just had my lunch too. :wink:

*freestyler_onli

Sorry.......... :shock:

*rhumbathunder

The thing I object to is if people issue tickets when cyclists edge towards the junction not stopping exactly on the white line. In my opinion, it is safer to move off on a bike if you are slightly ahead of the traffic as they know that you are there and if you have a wobble you don't go into the car beside you and it gives you a chance to gather some momentum

I don't think at 4 am on a dead street I would be stopping at a red light when I was certain no cars were coming either! If someone wants to give me a ticket for that they can crack on!

Central London traffic light hoppers are insane and should be ticketed as that is like suicide!

*Jibba Jabba

I don't think at 4 am on a dead street I would be stopping at a red light when I was certain no cars were coming either! If someone wants to give me a ticket for that they can crack on!

Central London traffic light hoppers are insane and should be ticketed as that is like suicide!

I can safely say that ive never issued a ticket to a cyclist for running a red light - and im a traffic cop. Far far far bigger fish to fry than dealing with that cr@p.

And what if they cant provide proof of id - how many cyclists carry a wallet? Are you going to arrest them and take them into custody? I can just imagine the custody officers face..........

*Freestyler_onli

That's what we do down here, but thats for slags riding pedal cycles on the pavement. 8)

*rambo19

What if a cyclist jumps a red light and i'm comming the other way on a green light and have to swerve to avoid them and have a crash, the cyclist carrie's on going.

Why should a cyclist going through a red light not get a ticket but a motorist does.

I find it very frustrating that police officers will not give cyclists tickets, after all, they are bound by the highway code the same as any other road user.

*Jibba Jabba

Because ive more imortant things to be dealing with than issueing a £30 fine for a red light. If it endangered any other road users, then yes i would deal with them with regard to 'careless or dangerous cycling' - but i aint wasting my time issueing tickets for a mere red light.

rambo19

*JIbba Jabba, I hear what your saying, but what if a car driver jumped a red light?, would you stop and issue a ticket?.

*peteratsea

Im sure he would issue a ticket then. It seems there is one law for cyclists and one for motorists. Does not seem fair to me !

*Jibba Jabba

You and i both know that there is a huge difference - when cars jump red lights they are generally putting the foot down to beat the light. ie a tonne of metal roaring throught hte junction at 30 odd mph.

Slighty different from a cyclist pedalling through at a mere 5 or so mph.

If the car hits someone it will kill them - if the cycilst hits someone, they will kill themselves.

Im not condoning it - just explaining why i dont bother issueing tickets. I occassionally warn cyclist for it, or point out the fact that the highway code applies to them too. But at the end of the day - its my discretion, so thats the way i will deal with it. If peteratsea doesnt like that - then frankly its tough.

*peteratsea

It's not that I don't like it. There is no need to get personal. I am trying to keep this on a professional level. As a Police Officer you have a duty to uphold the law. The law applies to cyclists as well. And a Cycle going through a red light could well cause a fatality to himself and maybe the car driver that had to swerve out the way to avoid him and hit someone else etc. So your argument, as far as I am concerned does not sway me in the slightest. All road users, be it a cyclist or a motorist should be treated equally and in accordance to the law. When our Police Officers start to choose which laws should be enforced and which ones they choose to ignore, then there is little wonder why the general public get very frustrated with the police service. If your attitude is as such, you are serving to promote such antipathy towards the Police. That is a shame.

Go to the top of the pageReport Post

*Jibba Jabba

Its called discretion. Im sure you've heard of it, and maybe even applied it on the odd occassion.

I assume you charge every person you see alloying their dog to cr@p on a footpath, or every single motorist that breaks the speed limit. Perhaps you also charge every person you witness failing to stop completely at a stop sign, or parking 1 inch onto the controlled area of a pedestrian crossing. How about when you hear someone swear - are they automatically warned under your daft PACE legislation, or have you let it go on the odd occassion?

No? Didnt think so - we all deal with things in a varying manner - thats one of the attractions to the job. You will deal with some things that i dont, and vice versa.

*peteratsea

I certainly do not disagree with you with regards to police officer's exercising discretion. We all do it. However, it is how that discretion is exercised by you that concerns me. Your earlier comment regarding that you cannot be bothered to waste your time dealing with cyclists running a red light is very worrying. All I am asking is that more attention is paid to cyclists breaking the law in this way since it is quite evident that it happens very frequently probably because many are aware of the apathy displayed by our police service with regards to this issue.

*olliec

The last person I arrested was for cycling through a red light. He happened to do it whilst I was waiting in a marked car at the lights. Cheeky s*d. Lied about his name and address. Turned out he was on bail to court for att murder and consp to supply class A. And the bike wasn't his........

*Jibba Jabba

My discretion concerns you?? Get a life!! Why on earth would MY discretion concern you - it has absolutely SFA to do with you.

How long have you been a cop for? Am i correct in saying that you are still in the application process?

Go to the top of the pageReport Post

*peteratsea

I have no intention of making this a personal issue. You are entitled to your opinion just as I am. It is a shame that your attitude, quite evidently displayed within this forum is a poor reflection on the great job many police officers do throughout the UK. I only hope that you do not speak to members of public in the way you have unnecessarily rebuked me for expressing an opinion.

*Jibba Jabba

laugh.gif laugh.gif laugh.gif laugh.gif

I'll listen to your opinions when you have at least left training college. Dont preach to me something you know nothing about. I arent going to contribute any more to this thread as we are going around in circles.

*peteratsea

Thank you for your constructive input jibba jabba. I do apologise if I have offended you in any way.

you should remember that most t5raffic lights are designed for "cars". You are not always going to be as fast as a car, which means it takes you longer to cross lights. Could in a collision with a car from the side if you're not careful.