finely lubricated machined parts

Discussion in 'UK and Europe' started by Geraint Jones, Jun 26, 2003.

Thread Status:
Not open for further replies.
  1. Having finally got enough time together all in one place, I have stripped the bike down, replaced
    the catastrophically worn bits and fitted bright and shiny new bits with liberal application of the
    contents of my twenty-year old can of grease, it is suddenly wonderful. Even the involuntary
    back-kick of the cranks to get a pedal in the right place to start off is so much smoother. This
    bike is suddenly better than it was when it was new. Isn't it such a pleasure when a bit of
    machinery works just right?

Bicycle maintenance, the true sport of princes.

Am I enthusing enough?

The embarrassing thing is that the single biggest improvement was that to changing at the rear after
    fitting a new cable inner. It is true that the cable was almost rusted through where it goes under
    the bottom bracket, I suppose...

Tags:

2. The Mark

The Mark Guest

Geraint Jones wrote:
    > Having finally got enough time together all in one place, I have stripped the bike down, replaced
    > the catastrophically worn bits and fitted bright and shiny new bits with liberal application of
    > the contents of my twenty-year old can of grease, it is suddenly wonderful. Even the involuntary
    > back-kick of the cranks to get a pedal in the right place to start off is so much smoother. This
    > bike is suddenly better than it was when it was new. Isn't it such a pleasure when a bit of
    > machinery works just right?

Too right. I replaced the chain set, chain and cassette last weekend on my Marin and the bike just
    feels great.
    >
    > Bicycle maintenance, the true sport of princes.

You could say. After I'd finished the Marin repairs I was still in the mood and looking for more to
    do so I had a go at my old, 20 odd years old, road bike with a few bits missing/broken and taking
    bits from a bike I found on a skip a few years ago and got it back up and running. After that I was
    still looking for things to do. Maybe it was just because the other half was decorating in the house
    though. :)
    --
    Mark

I'm getting something special built for me.

Thread Status:
Not open for further replies.