finely lubricated machined parts

Geraint Jones

Guest
Having finally got enough time together all in one place, I have stripped the bike down, replaced
the catastrophically worn bits and fitted bright and shiny new bits with liberal application of the
contents of my twenty-year old can of grease, it is suddenly wonderful. Even the involuntary
back-kick of the cranks to get a pedal in the right place to start off is so much smoother. This
bike is suddenly better than it was when it was new. Isn't it such a pleasure when a bit of
machinery works just right?

Bicycle maintenance, the true sport of princes.

Am I enthusing enough?

The embarrassing thing is that the single biggest improvement was that to changing at the rear after
fitting a new cable inner. It is true that the cable was almost rusted through where it goes under
the bottom bracket, I suppose...

Geraint Jones wrote:
> Having finally got enough time together all in one place, I have stripped the bike down, replaced
> the catastrophically worn bits and fitted bright and shiny new bits with liberal application of
> the contents of my twenty-year old can of grease, it is suddenly wonderful. Even the involuntary
> back-kick of the cranks to get a pedal in the right place to start off is so much smoother. This
> bike is suddenly better than it was when it was new. Isn't it such a pleasure when a bit of
> machinery works just right?

Too right. I replaced the chain set, chain and cassette last weekend on my Marin and the bike just
feels great.

> Bicycle maintenance, the true sport of princes.

You could say. After I'd finished the Marin repairs I was still in the mood and looking for more to
do so I had a go at my old, 20 odd years old, road bike with a few bits missing/broken and taking
bits from a bike I found on a skip a few years ago and got it back up and running. After that I was
still looking for things to do. Maybe it was just because the other half was decorating in the house
though. :)
--
Mark

I'm getting something special built for me.