Finished my road bike 15.8 lbs

Discussion in 'UK and Europe' started by mrdemon, Jul 31, 2004.

  1. mrdemon

    mrdemon New Member

    Joined:
    Aug 3, 2003
    Yummy a 4 year project lol

    most parts are new now though bar the frame, which is still A1

    Just need some carbon wheels :)

    Tags:

  2. Tony Raven

    Tony Raven Guest

    mrdemon wrote:

    > Yummy a 4 year project lol
    >
    > most parts are new now though bar the frame, which is still A1
    >
    > Just need some carbon wheels :)

    15.8lbs without wheels? That's a bit heavy

    Tony ;-)

  3. Jon Senior

    Jon Senior Guest

    In article <[email protected]>,
    [email protected] says...

    > Yummy a 4 year project lol
    >
    > most parts are new now though bar the frame, which is still A1
    >
    > Just need some carbon wheels :)

    And will you ride it? Or just hang it off the wall and admire it?

    Jon

  4. mrdemon

    mrdemon New Member

    Joined:
    Aug 3, 2003
    I love riding it.

    Need to get fitter to make the most of it but when we hill climb, or free wheel down hill the bike just wips past my mates, :)

    I do about 40 miles a week lol, hoping to get that up a bit to about 150

  5. mrdemon wrote:

    > I love riding it.
    >
    > Need to get fitter to make the most of it but when we hill climb, or
    > free wheel down hill the bike just wips past my mates, :)

    A bike with a heavy frame (solid depleted uranium would be good) is
    fastest downhill. Same frontal area, greater weight. If you think you
    can descend faster on a lighter bike it's psychological!

  6. >> Need to get fitter to make the most of it but when we hill climb, or
    >> free wheel down hill the bike just wips past my mates, :)

    > A bike with a heavy frame (solid depleted uranium would be good) is
    > fastest downhill. Same frontal area, greater weight. If you think you
    > can descend faster on a lighter bike it's psychological!

    No. It's pies.

    Mark.

  7. Mark Thompson wrote:

    > No. It's pies.

    Ah, but pies increase the surface area of the rider, as evidenced by Jan
    Ullrich every January. Maybe not in proportion to the weight, but
    there's definitely some additional form drag ;-)

  8. JohnB

    JohnB Guest

    Zog The Undeniable wrote:

    > Mark Thompson wrote:
    >
    > > No. It's pies.

    > Ah, but pies increase the surface area of the rider, as evidenced by Jan
    > Ullrich every January. Maybe not in proportion to the weight, but
    > there's definitely some additional form drag ;-)

    With the addiion of beer (real of course) the shape can be nurtured into
    an efficent aerodynamic profile.

    John B

  9. >> Ah, but pies increase the surface area of the rider, as evidenced by Jan
    >> Ullrich every January. Maybe not in proportion to the weight, but
    >> there's definitely some additional form drag ;-)

    > With the addiion of beer (real of course) the shape can be nurtured into
    > an efficent aerodynamic profile.

    Which of course has been banned by the UCI. That's why you never see
    riders with beer guts in the Tour.

  10. Velvet

    Velvet Guest

    Zog The Undeniable wrote:

    > Mark Thompson wrote:
    >
    >> No. It's pies.

    > Ah, but pies increase the surface area of the rider, as evidenced by Jan
    > Ullrich every January. Maybe not in proportion to the weight, but
    > there's definitely some additional form drag ;-)

    Ah, but apparently extra weight doesn't directly proportionally increase
    the frontal area and thus drag - you get a lot more weight for a smaller
    increase in frontal area. This is, apparently, why I rocket down hills
    despite being short and round rather than tall and thin (compared to
    t'other half).

    --

    Velvet

  11. Graeme

    Graeme Guest

    Velvet <[email protected]> wrote in news:C7nPc.12867$Fl7.132668625
    @news-text.cableinet.net:

    > Ah, but apparently extra weight doesn't directly proportionally increase
    > the frontal area and thus drag - you get a lot more weight for a smaller
    > increase in frontal area.

    And you get a padded fairing on your stomach to smooth the airflow around
    your body. I'm currently trying to get rid of it though, well, not
    "currently" exactly as I'm sat in front of my PC as my knee is acting up
    (not as bad as it was yesterday) and I've just eaten a bar of Lindt
    chocolate (the only decent stuff you can get in Australia) so my recent
    gains may well be negated :-/

    Graeme

  12. Velvet

    Velvet Guest

    Graeme wrote:

    > Velvet <[email protected]> wrote in news:C7nPc.12867$Fl7.132668625
    > @news-text.cableinet.net:
    >

    >>Ah, but apparently extra weight doesn't directly proportionally increase
    >>the frontal area and thus drag - you get a lot more weight for a smaller
    >>increase in frontal area.

    > And you get a padded fairing on your stomach to smooth the airflow around
    > your body. I'm currently trying to get rid of it though, well, not
    > "currently" exactly as I'm sat in front of my PC as my knee is acting up
    > (not as bad as it was yesterday) and I've just eaten a bar of Lindt
    > chocolate (the only decent stuff you can get in Australia) so my recent
    > gains may well be negated :-/
    >
    > Graeme

    *MY* padded fairing is somewhat higher than my stomach, it has to be
    said, and there's two of them... ;-)

    --

    Velvet

  13. Tony Raven

    Tony Raven Guest

    Velvet wrote:

    > This is, apparently, why I rocket down hills
    > despite being short and round rather than tall and thin (compared to
    > t'other half).

    Sounds like a friend of mine's classic description of a couple we knew -
    one's tall and thin and the others the same volume.

    Tony ;-)

  14. Tony Raven

    Tony Raven Guest

    Velvet wrote:

    > *MY* padded fairing is somewhat higher than my stomach, it has to be
    > said, and there's two of them... ;-)

    Chins don't count ;-)

    (Ducks)

    Tony

  15. Paul - xxx

    Paul - xxx Guest

    Velvet vaguely muttered something like ...

    > *MY* padded fairing is somewhat higher than my stomach, it has to be
    > said, and there's two of them... ;-)

    Chins ?

    I'll get me coat .. ;)

    --
    Paul ...

    (8(|) ... Homer Rocks

  16. Velvet

    Velvet Guest

    Tony Raven wrote:

    > Velvet wrote:
    >

    >> *MY* padded fairing is somewhat higher than my stomach, it has to be
    >> said, and there's two of them... ;-)
    >>

    > Chins don't count ;-)
    >
    > (Ducks)
    >
    > Tony

    You'd better hope our paths never cross, Tony, or the extra-hard slap
    with your name on might just catch up with you ;-D

    --

    Velvet

  17. Tony Raven

    Tony Raven Guest

    Velvet wrote:

    > You'd better hope our paths never cross, Tony, or the extra-hard slap
    > with your name on might just catch up with you ;-D

    Some people would pay a lot of money for that ;-)

    (Double ducks)

    Tony