Finished the 29er vs. Coker debate. Made a purchase.

Discussion in 'rec.sport.unicycling' started by molab, Mar 23, 2006.

  1. molab

    molab Guest

    So I decided to go for the Coker...
    After seeing all the posts of "I got the 29er, now I have a coker I
    barely ride it..." made me realise I'd regret not getting the extra
    speed of a coker, but I can do without the manouverability of a 29er.
    So now my question is to current Coker riders.
    Anyone here from Sydney, Aus, that rides a coker?
    Would I be better to change from the 152s it came with to my Nimbus
    II's 114s?
    And I'm freemounting by holding the tyre with horizontal pedals and
    jumping on, is that right?
    At the moment I'm loving the speed and the smooth ride!
    Can't wait for my first decent ride on it!

    --
    molab
    molab's Profile: http://www.unicyclist.com/profile/11474

  2. Trapper

    Trapper Guest

    I mount much like a static mount. A foot on the left pedal, lean
    forward a little, and then step up and onto the other pedal. Holding
    onto the tire felt too much like inviting a face plant. Very
    unsettling.

    --
    Trapper
    Trapper's Profile: http://www.unicyclist.com/profile/10341

  3. carjug

    carjug Guest

    You're already freemounting? Wow!
    I like the rolling mount, I can land it about half the time, but then I
    am a klutz. I have six-and-a-half inch cranks which work great on the
    hilly gravel roads I ride.
    Wear loose pants on your first rides, you will want to take this baby
    further than you have ever gone before and you don't want to be in
    anything resembling tight blue jeans!:p

    --
    carjug
    carjug's Profile: http://www.unicyclist.com/profile/1228

  4. mscalisi

    mscalisi Guest

    I wouldn't be in a huge hurry to put shorter cranks on it, especially
    one's as short as 114mm. Once you're comfortable with the coker, you
    can go faster with less effort with short cranks, but at the expenense
    of a greater stopping distance and leverage (control). I use 125's on
    mine, and that's plenty short for me. I've put many many miles on 152's
    with a respectable amount of speed. It's also harder to mount with
    shorter cranks, and you sit higher up.

    molab wrote:
    > So I decided to go for the Coker...
    > After seeing all the posts of "I got the 29er, now I have a coker I
    > barely ride it..." made me realise I'd regret not getting the extra
    > speed of a coker, but I can do without the manouverability of a 29er.
    > So now my question is to current Coker riders.
    > Anyone here from Sydney, Aus, that rides a coker?
    > Would I be better to change from the 152s it came with to my Nimbus
    > II's 114s?
    > And I'm freemounting by holding the tyre with horizontal pedals and
    > jumping on, is that right?
    > At the moment I'm loving the speed and the smooth ride!
    > Can't wait for my first decent ride on it!

    --
    mscalisi
    mscalisi's Profile: http://www.unicyclist.com/profile/4961

  5. James_Potter

    James_Potter Guest

    molab wrote:
    > So I decided to go for the Coker...
    > After seeing all the posts of "I got the 29er, now I have a coker I
    > barely ride it..." made me realise I'd regret not getting the extra
    > speed of a coker, but I can do without the manouverability of a 29er.
    > So now my question is to current Coker riders.
    > Anyone here from Sydney, Aus, that rides a coker?
    > Would I be better to change from the 152s it came with to my Nimbus
    > II's 114s?
    > And I'm freemounting by holding the tyre with horizontal pedals and
    > jumping on, is that right?
    > At the moment I'm loving the speed and the smooth ride!
    > Can't wait for my first decent ride on it!

    Ken Looi is from New Zealand, but I don't know of anyone any nearer
    than that....
    I'd stick with the 152's for right now. once you get good at those,
    you ought to try the 114s.
    jumping on works, I guess, but what I do is put the pedals horizontal,
    the back foot on the back pedal, and step up on to the other pedal.
    then get riding.
    have fun!

    --
    James_Potter

    i still believe that all you need is love...john lennon

    mikael
    atkinson...............................................................................jonny
    peacock is my main man.
    mdotedotatkinsonatgmaildotcom
    *President of the 'MRIS' (http://tinyurl.com/dk2de)*

  6. Welcome to the club!!

    (I would get bored of the 152's before dropping to 127's)

    an arsenal of cranks is what you need,

    i have tride everything between 40's and 175's.

    110's are my favoutire for distance, 175's are my favourite for bombing
    around (it takes quite a bit of practice to get 175's working smoothly)
    and 127's for general purpse cruising.

    you are gonna LOVE that thing!

    --
    Brian MacKenzie

    'Training Wheel Not Required DVD - New 6min short as seen on
    www.unicycle.tv' (http://www.LBMmultimedia.com/videos/TWNR_uniTV.wmv)
    All proceeds from TWNR go directly into my next movie due for release
    Sept 1 2006
    Brian MacKenzie's Profile: http://www.unicyclist.com/profile/7650

  7. GizmoDuck

    GizmoDuck Guest

    lol, yeah, I'm only a short flight away. I don't know any Sydney
    Cokeurers, but there are a few in Melbourne.

    I'd stick with 150's for now, and gradually work yourself down as you
    get used to it. Crank lengths are pretty personal, but use the
    shortest ones you can get away with- it's much smoother and you can
    ride for longer because it is much more comfortable to ride (less
    amplitude of leg movement). I like 110s for general use, 125's for
    steep hills, and 150's for off-road.

    Ken

    --
    GizmoDuck