Finishing time for ski jockey?

Discussion in 'Road Cycling' started by Carl Sundquist, Jul 5, 2003.

  1. Since neither cyclingnews.com nor tdf.olntv.com list a finishing time for Meier, I expect that his
    ride was not timed officially.

    Anyone know an unofficial time?

    Tags:

  2. Jim Martin

    Jim Martin Guest

    From CyclingNews:

    16:54 CEST We're still waiting for Herman Maier's time...The Austrian skier started in an
    all-purple skinsuit, and looked a little uncomfortable on his TT bike, but punched the air as he
    crossed the line.

    > Since neither cyclingnews.com nor tdf.olntv.com list a finishing time for Meier, I expect that his
    > ride was not timed officially.
    >
    > Anyone know an unofficial time?

    ---

  3. Mrbob

    Mrbob Guest

    In article <[email protected]>, "Carl Sundquist" <[email protected]> wrote:

    > Since neither cyclingnews.com nor tdf.olntv.com list a finishing time for Meier, I expect that his
    > ride was not timed officially.
    >
    > Anyone know an unofficial time?

    Unofficial time of 8:45. Eurosport's live comments had:

    HERMANN MAIER: The Austrian skiing legend, on the comeback trail after a serious motorcycle
    accident, told reporters after his prologue effort: "I'm fascinated by what they're capable of
    doing for three weeks. After two minutes I was knackered, my heart was beating at 200 pulsations a
    minute...It was an extraordinary experience, it was a fabulous atmosphere with the public. I'm very
    moved." Maier clocked an unofficial time of 8:45, approximately one minute behind the average
    cyclist. Not bad Hermann!!

    The 'knackered after two minutes' part implies that he possibly did not train / race as effectively
    as he might have.

    Bob

  4. Jc6239

    Jc6239 Guest

    So far the slowest time for an officail TDF rider has been 8:32 so it looks like Hermann better
    stick to skies (or motorcycles).

  5. "MrBob" <[email protected]> wrote in message

    > HERMANN MAIER: The Austrian skiing legend, on the comeback trail after a serious motorcycle
    > accident, told reporters after his prologue effort: "I'm fascinated by what they're capable of
    > doing for three weeks. After two minutes I was knackered, my heart was beating at 200 pulsations
    > a minute...It was an extraordinary experience, it was a fabulous atmosphere with the public. I'm
    > very moved." Maier clocked an unofficial time of 8:45, approximately one minute behind the
    > average cyclist. Not bad Hermann!!
    >
    > The 'knackered after two minutes' part implies that he possibly did not train / race as
    > effectively as he might have.

    Aren't most downhills events roughly two minutes long?

    As you said, Maier probably didn't know how to pace properly for the prologue.

  6. Jim Martin

    Jim Martin Guest

    "MrBob" <[email protected]> wrote
    > The 'knackered after two minutes' part implies that he possibly did not
    train / race as effectively as he might have.

    I agree with the later part: race effectively. If he'd had a powermeter on I bet it would show that
    he went out WAY to hard! Who wouldn't, given the excitment of the moment?

    ---

  7. "Carl Sundquist" <[email protected]> wrote in message
    news:[email protected]...
    > Since neither cyclingnews.com nor tdf.olntv.com list a finishing time for Meier, I expect that his
    > ride was not timed officially.

    Seems as if cyclingnews read your post as they've finally put it up on their live coverage.

    BTW, be sure to send Herminator trolls to the skiing newsgroup also.

  8. In article <[email protected]>, "jc6239" <[email protected]_nospam> wrote:

    > So far the slowest time for an officail TDF rider has been 8:32 so it looks like Hermann better
    > stick to skies (or motorcycles).

    Maybe, but I would say that any athlete who can get within 15 seconds of the Lantern Rouge in the
    prologue has real potential as a bike racer.

    By my calculations, he averaged 45 km/h over the prologue distance. I wouldn't mind being able to
    average 45 km/h over any distance.

  9. Patrick

    Patrick Guest

    > Since neither cyclingnews.com nor tdf.olntv.com list a finishing time for Meier, I expect that his
    > ride was not timed officially.
    >
    > Anyone know an unofficial time?

    the cyclingnews (yeah!) live service mentioned it in passing.

    posted at 17:59...

    For those interested, Hermann Maier's unofficial time in the prologue was 8'45 for the 6.5 km, a
    respectable average speed of 44.6 km/h. So far, that puts him 13 seconds behind the slowest time of
    Alessandro Bertolini (8'32).

    and while on the subject of mere mortals.. i remember finishing the cat 1.2.3 mengoni (?) race in
    the midddle of july the day after Indurain had done a TT of nearly equal distance at about 1/2 mph
    *faster* by himself then the entire peleton was able to muster as a group!

    patrick

  10. Amit

    Amit Guest

    [email protected] (patrick) wrote in message

    > i remember finishing the cat 1.2.3 mengoni (?) race in the midddle of july the day after Indurain
    > had done a TT of nearly equal distance at about 1/2 mph *faster* by himself then the entire
    > peleton was able to muster as a group!

    Yes, EPO is the shit.