Finishing time for ski jockey?

Carl Sundquist

Guest
Since neither cyclingnews.com nor tdf.olntv.com list a finishing time for Meier, I expect that his
ride was not timed officially.

Anyone know an unofficial time?

From CyclingNews:

16:54 CEST We're still waiting for Herman Maier's time...The Austrian skier started in an
all-purple skinsuit, and looked a little uncomfortable on his TT bike, but punched the air as he
crossed the line.

> Since neither cyclingnews.com nor tdf.olntv.com list a finishing time for Meier, I expect that his
> ride was not timed officially.
>
> Anyone know an unofficial time?

---

In article <[email protected]>, "Carl Sundquist" <[email protected]> wrote:

> Since neither cyclingnews.com nor tdf.olntv.com list a finishing time for Meier, I expect that his
> ride was not timed officially.
>
> Anyone know an unofficial time?

Unofficial time of 8:45. Eurosport's live comments had:

HERMANN MAIER: The Austrian skiing legend, on the comeback trail after a serious motorcycle
accident, told reporters after his prologue effort: "I'm fascinated by what they're capable of
doing for three weeks. After two minutes I was knackered, my heart was beating at 200 pulsations a
minute...It was an extraordinary experience, it was a fabulous atmosphere with the public. I'm very
moved." Maier clocked an unofficial time of 8:45, approximately one minute behind the average
cyclist. Not bad Hermann!!

The 'knackered after two minutes' part implies that he possibly did not train / race as effectively
as he might have.

Bob

So far the slowest time for an officail TDF rider has been 8:32 so it looks like Hermann better
stick to skies (or motorcycles).

"MrBob" <[email protected]> wrote in message

> HERMANN MAIER: The Austrian skiing legend, on the comeback trail after a serious motorcycle
> accident, told reporters after his prologue effort: "I'm fascinated by what they're capable of
> doing for three weeks. After two minutes I was knackered, my heart was beating at 200 pulsations
> a minute...It was an extraordinary experience, it was a fabulous atmosphere with the public. I'm
> very moved." Maier clocked an unofficial time of 8:45, approximately one minute behind the
> average cyclist. Not bad Hermann!!
>
> The 'knackered after two minutes' part implies that he possibly did not train / race as
> effectively as he might have.

Aren't most downhills events roughly two minutes long?

As you said, Maier probably didn't know how to pace properly for the prologue.

"MrBob" <[email protected]> wrote
> The 'knackered after two minutes' part implies that he possibly did not
train / race as effectively as he might have.

I agree with the later part: race effectively. If he'd had a powermeter on I bet it would show that
he went out WAY to hard! Who wouldn't, given the excitment of the moment?

---

> Since neither cyclingnews.com nor tdf.olntv.com list a finishing time for Meier, I expect that his
> ride was not timed officially.

Seems as if cyclingnews read your post as they've finally put it up on their live coverage.

BTW, be sure to send Herminator trolls to the skiing newsgroup also.

In article <[email protected]>, "jc6239" <[email protected]_nospam> wrote:

> So far the slowest time for an officail TDF rider has been 8:32 so it looks like Hermann better
> stick to skies (or motorcycles).

Maybe, but I would say that any athlete who can get within 15 seconds of the Lantern Rouge in the
prologue has real potential as a bike racer.

By my calculations, he averaged 45 km/h over the prologue distance. I wouldn't mind being able to
average 45 km/h over any distance.

news:<[email protected]>...
> Since neither cyclingnews.com nor tdf.olntv.com list a finishing time for Meier, I expect that his
> ride was not timed officially.
>
> Anyone know an unofficial time?

the cyclingnews (yeah!) live service mentioned it in passing.

posted at 17:59...

For those interested, Hermann Maier's unofficial time in the prologue was 8'45 for the 6.5 km, a
respectable average speed of 44.6 km/h. So far, that puts him 13 seconds behind the slowest time of
Alessandro Bertolini (8'32).

and while on the subject of mere mortals.. i remember finishing the cat 1.2.3 mengoni (?) race in
the midddle of july the day after Indurain had done a TT of nearly equal distance at about 1/2 mph
*faster* by himself then the entire peleton was able to muster as a group!

patrick

Yes, EPO is the ****.