Finland and Denmark, Colorectal cancer

Discussion in 'Food and nutrition' started by Quentin Grady, Nov 15, 2003.

  1. G'day G'day Folks,

    Looking at a graph adapted from Weisbuger JADA 1987;97 (suppl) 16

    found on page 2 of

    http://www.foodandhealth.com/cpecourses/fiber.php?print=yes

    one can't help noticing Finland has a very low rate of colorectal cancer while Denmark has a
    very high one.

    While people approach nutrition in various ways I find it helpful to look at proximal countries with
    distinct differences in incidence. If dietary differences can be found then, hypotheses can be
    formed and tested on a third country. Crete and Italy were helpful in building some understanding of
    the factors involved in CHD.

    I'm not interested in attempting to convert others to this approach just in pursuing it myself. From
    the other side of the world from Scandinavia this is a bit difficult. OK, I have heard of Danish
    pastries but never Finnish ones so I'm guessing there might be a difference in the degree of
    refinement of flour.

    Please can those who live thereabouts point out five or so difference between the diets of Denmark
    and Finland.

    Thanks,

    --
    Quentin Grady ^ ^ / New Zealand, >#,#< [ / \ /\ "... and the blind dog was leading."

    http://homepages.paradise.net.nz/quentin

    Tags:

  2. Matti Narkia

    Matti Narkia Guest

    Sun, 16 Nov 2003 08:03:36 +1300 in article <[email protected]> Quentin
    Grady <[email protected]> wrote:

    >G'day G'day Folks,
    >
    > Looking at a graph adapted from Weisbuger JADA 1987;97 (suppl) 16
    >
    >found on page 2 of
    >
    >http://www.foodandhealth.com/cpecourses/fiber.php?print=yes
    >
    >one can't help noticing Finland has a very low rate of colorectal cancer while Denmark has a very
    >high one.

    Hi Quentin,

    I'm a bit surprised that Finland has a low rate of colorectal cancer, because it certainly is the
    commonest cancer among my acquaintances.

    <snip>

    >Please can those who live thereabouts point out five or so difference between the diets of Denmark
    >and Finland.

    I don't know about five, but I can tell you one: whole-meal rye bread is very popular in Finland,
    it's a kind of Finnish specialty that you don't see in other countries except possibly in Sweden, to
    a lesser extent.

    From Medline I found the following related references:

    Grasten SM, Juntunen KS, Poutanen KS, Gylling HK, Miettinen TA, Mykkanen HM. Rye bread improves
    bowel function and decreases the concentrations of some compounds that are putative colon cancer
    risk markers in middle-aged women and men. J Nutr. 2000 Sep;130(9):2215-21. PMID: 10958815 [PubMed -
    indexed for MEDLINE] <http://www.nutrition.org/cgi/content/full/130/9/2215>

    Adlercreutz H. Epidemiology of phytoestrogens. Baillieres Clin Endocrinol Metab. 1998
    Dec;12(4):605-23. Review. PMID: 10384816 [PubMed - indexed for MEDLINE] <http://www.ncbi.nlm.nih.go-
    v/entrez/query.fcgi?cmd=Retrieve&db=PubMed&list_uids=10384816&dopt=Abstract>

    Korpela JT, Korpela R, Adlercreutz H. Fecal bile acid metabolic pattern after administration of
    different types of bread. Gastroenterology. 1992 Oct;103(4):1246-53. PMID: 1327933 [PubMed - indexed
    for MEDLINE] <http://www.ncbi.nlm.nih.gov/entrez/query.fcgi?cmd=Retrieve&db=PubMed&list_uids=132793-
    3&dopt=Abstract

  3. This post not CC'd by email On Sat, 15 Nov 2003 23:20:38 +0200, Matti Narkia
    <[email protected]> wrote:

    >>Please can those who live thereabouts point out five or so difference between the diets of Denmark
    >>and Finland.
    >>
    >I don't know about five, but I can tell you one: whole-meal rye bread is very popular in Finland,
    >it's a kind of Finnish specialty that you don't see in other countries except possibly in Sweden,
    >to a lesser extent.

    G'day G'day Matti,

    Thank you for the information on rye bread. Obviously there are many aspects to fully understanding
    its full mode of action. As it happens I had decided on rye bread as a key element to my diet and
    am glad to have the wisdom of my choice confirmed.

    >Korpela JT, Korpela R, Adlercreutz H. Fecal bile acid metabolic pattern after administration of
    >different types of bread. Gastroenterology. 1992 Oct;103(4):1246-53. PMID: 1327933 [PubMed -
    >indexed for MEDLINE] <http://www.ncbi.nlm.nih.gov/entrez/query.fcgi?cmd=Retrieve&db=PubMed&list_ui-
    >ds=1327933&dopt=Abstract>

    Are there other differences say in the way food is prepared eg smoking or canning fish?

    I realise cultural habits are often inconspicuous to oneself and might only become obvious when
    listening to comments made by tourists.

    What do tourist say about food in Finland?

    Of course if anyone lives in Denmark, what comments do tourists make about the food there?

    Best wishes,
    --
    Quentin Grady ^ ^ / New Zealand, >#,#< [ / \ /\ "... and the blind dog was leading."

    http://homepages.paradise.net.nz/quentin

  4. Mike V

    Mike V Guest

    "Quentin Grady" <[email protected]> wrote in message
    news:[email protected]...
    > G'day G'day Folks,
    >
    > Looking at a graph adapted from Weisbuger JADA 1987;97 (suppl) 16
    >
    > found on page 2 of
    >
    > http://www.foodandhealth.com/cpecourses/fiber.php?print=yes
    >
    > one can't help noticing Finland has a very low rate of colorectal cancer while Denmark has a very
    > high one.
    > ***********
    >> Please can those who live thereabouts point out five or so difference
    > between the diets of Denmark and Finland.
    >
    > Thanks,
    >
    > --
    > Quentin Grady ^ ^ / New Zealand, >#,#< [ / \ /\ "... and the blind dog was leading."
    >
    > http://homepages.paradise.net.nz/quentin

    Quentin: While this is not relevant, it is at least interesting to note that Denmark's and Finland's
    relative positions are reversed on graphs of death by heart disease versus dairy intake. (these are
    published by your countrymen at A2 Corporation at http://www.a2corporation.com/english/index2.html )

    Japan of course is low on both graphs.

    Regards, MikeV

  5. Mike V

    Mike V Guest

    "Mike V" <[email protected]> wrote in message
    news:[email protected]...

    > "Quentin Grady" <[email protected]> wrote in message
    > news:[email protected]...
    > > G'day G'day Folks,
    > >
    > > Looking at a graph adapted from Weisbuger JADA 1987;97 (suppl) 16
    > >
    > > found on page 2 of
    > >
    > > http://www.foodandhealth.com/cpecourses/fiber.php?print=yes
    > >
    > > one can't help noticing Finland has a very low rate of colorectal cancer while Denmark has a
    > > very high one.
    > > ***********
    > >> Please can those who live thereabouts point out five or so difference
    > > between the diets of Denmark and Finland.
    > >
    > > Thanks,
    > >
    > > --
    > > Quentin Grady ^ ^ / New Zealand, >#,#< [ / \ /\ "... and the blind dog was leading."
    > >
    > > http://homepages.paradise.net.nz/quentin
    >

    > Quentin: While this is not relevant, it is at least interesting to note that Denmark's and
    > Finland's relative positions are reversed on graphs of death by heart disease versus dairy intake.
    > (these are published by your countrymen at A2 Corporation at
    > http://www.a2corporation.com/english/index2.html )
    >
    > Japan of course is low on both graphs.
    >
    > Regards, MikeV

    sorry......the link was incorrect in the preceding post: try
    http://www.a2corporation.com/english/a2milk.htm mike

  6. This post not CC'd by email On Sun, 16 Nov 2003 20:13:49 GMT, "Mike V"
    <[email protected]> wrote:

    >Quentin: While this is not relevant, it is at least interesting to note that Denmark's and
    >Finland's relative positions are reversed on graphs of death by heart disease versus dairy intake.
    >(these are published by your countrymen at A2 Corporation at
    >http://www.a2corporation.com/english/index2.html )
    >
    >Japan of course is low on both graphs.
    >
    >Regards, MikeV

    G'day G'day MikeV,

    Thanks Mike. Thank you for thinking to bring my attention to this URL. It was an issue that I
    looked at a couple of years ago BUT the science in these matter advances so rapidly that it really
    does help to have people watching out for one another and keeping one up to date.

    My continuing goal is the evolution of an eclectic diet. Having A2 milk and/or cheese and rye bread
    seem quite compatible to
    me.

    Thanks,