fins and paddles for swimming

asdf

Guest
I see quite a few people using fins and paddles during swim training at my
local Y. I assume this is to help with form. Is there much benifit to
these for triathlon training? From what I've read, it seems that
recommended swim techniques for triathlon can be quite different than you
might be taught in a masters swim program.

Thanks,
WH

asdf wrote:
> I see quite a few people using fins and paddles during swim training at my
> local Y. I assume this is to help with form. Is there much benifit to
> these for triathlon training? From what I've read, it seems that
> recommended swim techniques for triathlon can be quite different than you
> might be taught in a masters swim program.
>
> Thanks,
> WH

Yes they are useful but, same as most training tools and techniques,
only if you understand how to use them and what you're trying to
achieve by using them. If you're trying to improve your swimming you
should find a coach/book/DVD that has some experience/relevance to
triathlon and that suits your style and goals. You may well then find
that you are advised to use fins or paddles to assist with specific
drills to improve specific parts of you stroke.

Not even going to start the whole discussion on whether having a strong
kick is necessary or even particularly desirable for a triathlete...