fins and paddles for swimming

Discussion in 'Triathlon' started by asdf, Apr 2, 2006.

  1. asdf

    asdf Guest

    I see quite a few people using fins and paddles during swim training at my
    local Y. I assume this is to help with form. Is there much benifit to
    these for triathlon training? From what I've read, it seems that
    recommended swim techniques for triathlon can be quite different than you
    might be taught in a masters swim program.

    Thanks,
    WH

    Tags:

  2. Rookie

    Rookie Guest

    asdf wrote:
    > I see quite a few people using fins and paddles during swim training at my
    > local Y. I assume this is to help with form. Is there much benifit to
    > these for triathlon training? From what I've read, it seems that
    > recommended swim techniques for triathlon can be quite different than you
    > might be taught in a masters swim program.
    >
    > Thanks,
    > WH

    Yes they are useful but, same as most training tools and techniques,
    only if you understand how to use them and what you're trying to
    achieve by using them. If you're trying to improve your swimming you
    should find a coach/book/DVD that has some experience/relevance to
    triathlon and that suits your style and goals. You may well then find
    that you are advised to use fins or paddles to assist with specific
    drills to improve specific parts of you stroke.

    Not even going to start the whole discussion on whether having a strong
    kick is necessary or even particularly desirable for a triathlete...