Firecrackers!

Discussion in 'Road Cycling' started by Karen M., Jun 19, 2004.

  1. Karen M.

    Karen M. Guest

    Hi folks--
    This really takes the cake...some teen weenie threw a strand of
    firecrackers at me Thursday evening.

    I was riding up Wayne Road in Westland (Detroit 'burb). A small red
    car passed, and I saw something sail out of the passenger's hand. It
    was smoking, so I guessed a cigarette. Then it landed in the lane as
    my front wheel rolled past, and I realized that it was a cluster of
    short red paper sticks. The brain said "pour it on before it
    explodes!" and I did; it went off as the car behind me passed it.

    The driver had to slow for a traffic light, enabling me to
    **almost** get close enough to see the tag. But they were watching me,
    and did an emergency turn down a side street.

    Yes, I called the cops.

    Of all the stupid, bonehead, malicious things to do...I'm sure it
    was a spur of the moment idea, but I could have been hurt. Another
    driver could have been hurt, Heck, if the passenger hadn't tossed them
    far enough, he could have been hurt (in my dreams).

    I have buddies who are reporters for the two Detroit newspapers,
    but I am reluctant to tell them about this incident (although it would
    make them a great story) because of copycat ramifications.

    Geeze louise.

    --Karen M.
    PO'ed at teenagers

    Tags:

  2. S o r n i

    S o r n i Guest

    Karen M. wrote:
    > Hi folks--
    > This really takes the cake...some teen weenie threw a strand of
    > firecrackers at me Thursday evening.
    >
    > I was riding up Wayne Road in Westland (Detroit 'burb). A small red
    > car passed, and I saw something sail out of the passenger's hand. It
    > was smoking, so I guessed a cigarette. Then it landed in the lane as
    > my front wheel rolled past, and I realized that it was a cluster of
    > short red paper sticks. The brain said "pour it on before it
    > explodes!" and I did; it went off as the car behind me passed it.
    >
    > The driver had to slow for a traffic light, enabling me to
    > **almost** get close enough to see the tag. But they were watching me,
    > and did an emergency turn down a side street.
    >
    > Yes, I called the cops.
    >
    > Of all the stupid, bonehead, malicious things to do...I'm sure it
    > was a spur of the moment idea, but I could have been hurt. Another
    > driver could have been hurt, Heck, if the passenger hadn't tossed them
    > far enough, he could have been hurt (in my dreams).
    >
    > I have buddies who are reporters for the two Detroit newspapers,
    > but I am reluctant to tell them about this incident (although it would
    > make them a great story) because of copycat ramifications.
    >
    > Geeze louise.
    >
    > --Karen M.
    > PO'ed at teenagers

    First of all, glad you weren't hurt! Great reaction and subsequent
    response. Too bad you couldn't catch up to 'em, but maybe your description
    to the cops will help bust them down the road (so to speak).

    Bill "no real second of all, I guess" S.

  3. psycholist

    psycholist Guest

    "Karen M." <[email protected]> wrote in message
    news:[email protected]
    > Hi folks--
    > This really takes the cake...some teen weenie threw a strand of
    > firecrackers at me Thursday evening.
    >
    > I was riding up Wayne Road in Westland (Detroit 'burb). A small red
    > car passed, and I saw something sail out of the passenger's hand. It
    > was smoking, so I guessed a cigarette. Then it landed in the lane as
    > my front wheel rolled past, and I realized that it was a cluster of
    > short red paper sticks. The brain said "pour it on before it
    > explodes!" and I did; it went off as the car behind me passed it.
    >
    > The driver had to slow for a traffic light, enabling me to
    > **almost** get close enough to see the tag. But they were watching me,
    > and did an emergency turn down a side street.
    >
    > Yes, I called the cops.
    >
    > Of all the stupid, bonehead, malicious things to do...I'm sure it
    > was a spur of the moment idea, but I could have been hurt. Another
    > driver could have been hurt, Heck, if the passenger hadn't tossed them
    > far enough, he could have been hurt (in my dreams).
    >
    > I have buddies who are reporters for the two Detroit newspapers,
    > but I am reluctant to tell them about this incident (although it would
    > make them a great story) because of copycat ramifications.
    >
    > Geeze louise.
    >
    > --Karen M.
    > PO'ed at teenagers

    I was run down by a teenager talking on a cell phone. Bad enough we allow
    them to drive at all. But we allow them to drive AND talk on cell phones
    while the car is full of their crazy, screaming buddies. Eight days in the
    hospital and six months in rehab and I never got so much as a call of
    concern from her, either. In my case, it wasn't a malicious act ... just
    stupidity. But it's shameful that a 17 year old can be legally driving a
    car full of other kids and be talking on a phone. For that matter, I don't
    think ANYONE should be allowed to drive and talk on a phone ... but that's
    OT.

    Bob C.

  4. John

    John Guest

    [email protected] (Karen M.) wrote in message news:<[email protected]>...
    > Hi folks--
    > This really takes the cake...some teen weenie threw a strand of
    > firecrackers at me Thursday evening.
    >
    > I was riding up Wayne Road in Westland (Detroit 'burb). A small red
    > car passed, and I saw something sail out of the passenger's hand. It
    > was smoking, so I guessed a cigarette. Then it landed in the lane as
    > my front wheel rolled past, and I realized that it was a cluster of
    > short red paper sticks. The brain said "pour it on before it
    > explodes!" and I did; it went off as the car behind me passed it.
    >
    > The driver had to slow for a traffic light, enabling me to
    > **almost** get close enough to see the tag. But they were watching me,
    > and did an emergency turn down a side street.
    >
    > Yes, I called the cops.
    >
    > Of all the stupid, bonehead, malicious things to do...I'm sure it
    > was a spur of the moment idea, but I could have been hurt. Another
    > driver could have been hurt, Heck, if the passenger hadn't tossed them
    > far enough, he could have been hurt (in my dreams).
    >
    > I have buddies who are reporters for the two Detroit newspapers,
    > but I am reluctant to tell them about this incident (although it would
    > make them a great story) because of copycat ramifications.
    >
    > Geeze louise.
    >
    > --Karen M.
    > PO'ed at teenagers

    You say this was in Detroit? Then you're lucky to be
    alive...regardless of the firecrackers or your bicycle.

    I've been thinking about picking up some of these to deal with dogs.
    Of course trying to light an explosive while dealing with traffic and
    dogs doesn't sound like too good of an idea, but I doubt it's much
    harder than trying to aim a can of Halt at 20mph.

  5. Tom Keats

    Tom Keats Guest

    In article <[email protected]>,
    [email protected] (John) writes:

    > I've been thinking about picking up some of these to deal with dogs.
    > Of course trying to light an explosive while dealing with traffic and
    > dogs doesn't sound like too good of an idea, but I doubt it's much
    > harder than trying to aim a can of Halt at 20mph.

    I think Jenkinson's Law would apply. Just keeping
    a Bic light lit at 20 mph sounds impossible.