Firecrackers!

Karen M.

Guest
Hi folks--
This really takes the cake...some teen weenie threw a strand of
firecrackers at me Thursday evening.

I was riding up Wayne Road in Westland (Detroit 'burb). A small red
car passed, and I saw something sail out of the passenger's hand. It
was smoking, so I guessed a cigarette. Then it landed in the lane as
my front wheel rolled past, and I realized that it was a cluster of
short red paper sticks. The brain said "pour it on before it
explodes!" and I did; it went off as the car behind me passed it.

The driver had to slow for a traffic light, enabling me to
**almost** get close enough to see the tag. But they were watching me,
and did an emergency turn down a side street.

Yes, I called the cops.

Of all the stupid, bonehead, malicious things to do...I'm sure it
was a spur of the moment idea, but I could have been hurt. Another
driver could have been hurt, Heck, if the passenger hadn't tossed them
far enough, he could have been hurt (in my dreams).

I have buddies who are reporters for the two Detroit newspapers,
but I am reluctant to tell them about this incident (although it would
make them a great story) because of copycat ramifications.

Geeze louise.

--Karen M.
PO'ed at teenagers

Karen M. wrote:
> Hi folks--
> This really takes the cake...some teen weenie threw a strand of
> firecrackers at me Thursday evening.
>
> I was riding up Wayne Road in Westland (Detroit 'burb). A small red
> car passed, and I saw something sail out of the passenger's hand. It
> was smoking, so I guessed a cigarette. Then it landed in the lane as
> my front wheel rolled past, and I realized that it was a cluster of
> short red paper sticks. The brain said "pour it on before it
> explodes!" and I did; it went off as the car behind me passed it.
>
> The driver had to slow for a traffic light, enabling me to
> **almost** get close enough to see the tag. But they were watching me,
> and did an emergency turn down a side street.
>
> Yes, I called the cops.
>
> Of all the stupid, bonehead, malicious things to do...I'm sure it
> was a spur of the moment idea, but I could have been hurt. Another
> driver could have been hurt, Heck, if the passenger hadn't tossed them
> far enough, he could have been hurt (in my dreams).
>
> I have buddies who are reporters for the two Detroit newspapers,
> but I am reluctant to tell them about this incident (although it would
> make them a great story) because of copycat ramifications.
>
> Geeze louise.
>
> --Karen M.
> PO'ed at teenagers

First of all, glad you weren't hurt! Great reaction and subsequent
response. Too bad you couldn't catch up to 'em, but maybe your description
to the cops will help bust them down the road (so to speak).

Bill "no real second of all, I guess" S.

"Karen M." <[email protected]> wrote in message
news:[email protected]...
> Hi folks--
> This really takes the cake...some teen weenie threw a strand of
> firecrackers at me Thursday evening.
>
> I was riding up Wayne Road in Westland (Detroit 'burb). A small red
> car passed, and I saw something sail out of the passenger's hand. It
> was smoking, so I guessed a cigarette. Then it landed in the lane as
> my front wheel rolled past, and I realized that it was a cluster of
> short red paper sticks. The brain said "pour it on before it
> explodes!" and I did; it went off as the car behind me passed it.
>
> The driver had to slow for a traffic light, enabling me to
> **almost** get close enough to see the tag. But they were watching me,
> and did an emergency turn down a side street.
>
> Yes, I called the cops.
>
> Of all the stupid, bonehead, malicious things to do...I'm sure it
> was a spur of the moment idea, but I could have been hurt. Another
> driver could have been hurt, Heck, if the passenger hadn't tossed them
> far enough, he could have been hurt (in my dreams).
>
> I have buddies who are reporters for the two Detroit newspapers,
> but I am reluctant to tell them about this incident (although it would
> make them a great story) because of copycat ramifications.
>
> Geeze louise.
>
> --Karen M.
> PO'ed at teenagers

I was run down by a teenager talking on a cell phone. Bad enough we allow
them to drive at all. But we allow them to drive AND talk on cell phones
while the car is full of their crazy, screaming buddies. Eight days in the
hospital and six months in rehab and I never got so much as a call of
concern from her, either. In my case, it wasn't a malicious act ... just
stupidity. But it's shameful that a 17 year old can be legally driving a
car full of other kids and be talking on a phone. For that matter, I don't
think ANYONE should be allowed to drive and talk on a phone ... but that's
OT.

Bob C.

[email protected] (Karen M.) wrote in message news:<[email protected]>...
> Hi folks--
> This really takes the cake...some teen weenie threw a strand of
> firecrackers at me Thursday evening.
>
> I was riding up Wayne Road in Westland (Detroit 'burb). A small red
> car passed, and I saw something sail out of the passenger's hand. It
> was smoking, so I guessed a cigarette. Then it landed in the lane as
> my front wheel rolled past, and I realized that it was a cluster of
> short red paper sticks. The brain said "pour it on before it
> explodes!" and I did; it went off as the car behind me passed it.
>
> The driver had to slow for a traffic light, enabling me to
> **almost** get close enough to see the tag. But they were watching me,
> and did an emergency turn down a side street.
>
> Yes, I called the cops.
>
> Of all the stupid, bonehead, malicious things to do...I'm sure it
> was a spur of the moment idea, but I could have been hurt. Another
> driver could have been hurt, Heck, if the passenger hadn't tossed them
> far enough, he could have been hurt (in my dreams).
>
> I have buddies who are reporters for the two Detroit newspapers,
> but I am reluctant to tell them about this incident (although it would
> make them a great story) because of copycat ramifications.
>
> Geeze louise.
>
> --Karen M.
> PO'ed at teenagers

You say this was in Detroit? Then you're lucky to be
alive...regardless of the firecrackers or your bicycle.

I've been thinking about picking up some of these to deal with dogs.
Of course trying to light an explosive while dealing with traffic and
dogs doesn't sound like too good of an idea, but I doubt it's much
harder than trying to aim a can of Halt at 20mph.

In article <[email protected]>,
[email protected] (John) writes:

> I've been thinking about picking up some of these to deal with dogs.
> Of course trying to light an explosive while dealing with traffic and
> dogs doesn't sound like too good of an idea, but I doubt it's much
> harder than trying to aim a can of Halt at 20mph.

I think Jenkinson's Law would apply. Just keeping
a Bic light lit at 20 mph sounds impossible.