Firecrackers!

Rick Onanian <[email protected]> wrote in message news:<[email protected]>...
> On Mon, 21 Jun 2004 17:54:43 -0700, [email protected] (Tom Keats)
> wrote:
> >BTW -- to get dachshunds to shuddup for awhile,

> Somebody (I think on another newsfroup) suggested taking them
> badger-hunting; but I don't know anybody who would eat a badger.

----------

I think the idea is that a badger would probably eat the DOGS.

On 22 Jun 2004 08:53:09 -0700, [email protected] (dan baker) wrote:

>Rick Onanian <[email protected]> wrote in message news:<[email protected]>...
>> On Mon, 21 Jun 2004 17:54:43 -0700, [email protected] (Tom Keats)
>> wrote:
>> >BTW -- to get dachshunds to shuddup for awhile,

>> Somebody (I think on another newsfroup) suggested taking them
>> badger-hunting; but I don't know anybody who would eat a badger.

>----------
>
>I think the idea is that a badger would probably eat the DOGS.

mm-mm, cookies. ;-p

-B

On Tue, 22 Jun 2004 11:58:51 -0400, Badger_South <[email protected]>
wrote:

>>> Somebody (I think on another newsfroup) suggested taking them
>>> badger-hunting; but I don't know anybody who would eat a badger.

>>----------
>>
>>I think the idea is that a badger would probably eat the DOGS.

Well, this is my last vet story. I worked at a veterinary clinic
outside of Ft. Hood, Texas in my last year of high school. Some
soldier back from Germany brought in a Schwartz Wald dachshund to
board. This sucker was the size of a basset hound and solid muscle.

I had to remove the bed platform made of 1x4s to clean the runs
everyday. As I was leaving this dogs run, bedboard in hand, I heard a
growl from behind. I turned just in time to see this dachshund launch
himself straight at my chest. I hit him in mid-air with the bedboard,
breaking it over his head and knocking him to the end of the run.
Looked dead to me.

Figuring I had killed him, I went and got the vet. By the time we got
back to the runs, he was circling, ****** as hell, with blood coming
from the top of his head. The vets decided that never mind the blood,
the dog was healthy. I decided unilaterally to wash down everything
with a hose from outside the run, dog and all.

The owner wasn't bothered by the scar at all. The dog was orgiinally
used as a hunter, going down holes after moderately sized vermin. The
scar just joined the others already over his head and shoulders. So
some dachshunds CAN take on the odd badger or two, German variety...

Last dog I ever turned my back on, too.

Curtis L. Russell
And then there was the little dog that was an escape artist. Climbed
over the fence into the mastiff's run and we never found hide nor hair
of him again...

On Tue, 22 Jun 2004 12:42:51 -0400, Curtis L. Russell
<[email protected]> wrote:

>>>----------
>>>
>>>I think the idea is that a badger would probably eat the DOGS.

Sure, cut out my jokes and attribute this part to me...

>Well, this is my last vet story.

Aww-w. More, more - author, author. ;-p

>I worked at a veterinary clinic
>outside of Ft. Hood, Texas in my last year of high school.

<Cool story snipped>

>Last dog I ever turned my back on, too.

Well just to balance out the discussion, I like dogs, my life was prob.
saved (as a baby) by the dog that dragged me out of the street in front of
my house, dogs like me. and I own a dog. (Jack Russell mix).

[There's just something primitive that comes up when I'm on a peaceful bike
ride and get chased by snarling snapping things. (Fortunately the odd
"Chelydra" I can out-run.)]

-B

>Curtis L. Russell
>And then there was the little dog that was an escape artist. Climbed
>over the fence into the mastiff's run and we never found hide nor hair
>of him again...

Youse looked for hairs and fibres? ;->

On Mon, 21 Jun 2004 22:12:29 -0400, Rick Onanian <[email protected]> from The
Esoteric c0wz Society wrote:

>Somebody (I think on another newsfroup) suggested taking them
>badger-hunting; but I don't know anybody who would eat a badger. Too
>bad, because I could actually enjoy these dogs that way, and (get
>ready for Kevan to really boil over) I'd love to go hunting and
>shoot something!

I grew up hunting and fishing. I gave it up as a personal decision. I don't
object to it for other people until they cross the line of treating game
animals inhumanely. I have no respect for people who bait fields, release game
in closed areas for a so-called "big game hunt," or any number of dubious
acts. It pollutes the sport.

--
Kevan Smith
[email protected]

On Mon, 21 Jun 2004 20:12:41 -0700, The Real Bev <[email protected]> from
wrote:

>Kevan Smith wrote:
>>
>> The Real Bev <[email protected]> wrote:

>> >Somebody said he'd tried water, to no effect. What about mixing a
>> >LITTLE ammonia with the water? Or do you have a better suggestion?

>> Ammonia eats away flesh. It's a caustic solution. That's why it blinds. Even a
>> little bit is harmful.

>What do you think is in Windex? Do you wear gloves when you clean your
>windows? Do you know anybody who does? I once (yeah, stupid, I know)
>sprayed myself in the eye with dryer fabric-softening spray. It took
>several days for the blur to disappear. Would Windex have been more
>damaging?

Likely so.

--
Kevan Smith
[email protected]

On Tue, 22 Jun 2004 15:05:59 GMT, Mark Mitchell
<[email protected]> from BellSouth Internet Service wrote:

>On 2004-06-21, Kevan Smith <[email protected]> wrote:
>> On Mon, 21 Jun 2004 09:16:17 GMT, Mark Mitchell
>><[email protected]> from BellSouth Internet Group wrote:
>>
>>>I'm sorry, but you've just lost me here.
>>>
>>>A dog chasing is instinct, I agree. I disagree that negative reinforcement
>>>(correction) is inappropriate. Meditate on the primary defence of skunks
>>>and porcupines and then tell me that no amount of correction is going to
>>>stop an instinctive behavior.

>> instinct remains. In terms of the chasing instinct, your one spray with the
>> ammonia bottle would be enough to blind and maim the dog, but it's not nearly
>> enough training time to change the instinctual behavior.

>Kevan, please keep track of who you're talking to. I defy you to find any
>post of mine in the last several days where I even implied that I approve
>of spraying any living creature with ammonia.

Joinign this argument the way you did, that is the exact practice you are
defending. That is the "negative reinforcement" method that started the
discussion.

--
Kevan Smith
[email protected]

Mon, 21 Jun 2004 22:12:29 -0400,
<[email protected]>, Rick Onanian
<[email protected]> wrote:

>On Mon, 21 Jun 2004 17:54:43 -0700, [email protected] (Tom Keats)
>wrote:
>>BTW -- to get dachshunds to shuddup for awhile, maybe just
>>bury a rabbit carcass, and put them to work digging it up.

>I love it! Great idea. Won't work due to the well-manicured yard
>(and I'm not the owner of said yard), but maybe I can come up with
>something.

Teach them to hunt moles and gophers.
Hire 'em out as varmint control.
Let them earn their kibbles and beer.
--
zk

The Real Bev wrote:

> What do you think is in Windex? Do you wear gloves when you clean your
> windows? Do you know anybody who does? I once (yeah, stupid, I know)
> sprayed myself in the eye with dryer fabric-softening spray. It took
> several days for the blur to disappear. Would Windex have been more
> damaging?

Having gotten windex in my eyes, as well as orange cleaner, neither one
required hospitilization. My vision is as good as it ever was(being a
welder I have poor vision anyway), and was unaffected by these products
except for the slight watering in my eyes that they caused. I had a
mild stinging for about 10 minutes.

No worse than getting smoke in your eyes.

Zoot Katz wrote:

> The Real Bev <[email protected]> wrote, of ammonia:
>
> >What do you think is in Windex? Do you wear gloves when you clean your
> >windows?

> Did you ever spray that stuff on emerging carpenter ants?
> Kills 'em quicker than than Black Flag and much easier to clean up.

Doesn't work worth **** on ordinary black/grease/sugar ants. The
cohabitant of a friend was very anti-insecticide, resulting in ants even
in the damn refrigerator. She figured that Windex wouldn't violate his
animalitarian instincts so we spent a lot of time spraying the damn
things with it before the guests arrived. Damn ants just swam around in
it until we squashed 'em with a sponge. Nothing like ants in the
refrigerator to gross somebody out.

--
Cheers,
Bev

dan baker wrote:

>Rick Onanian <[email protected]> wrote in message news:<[email protected]>...
>
>>On Mon, 21 Jun 2004 17:54:43 -0700, [email protected] (Tom Keats)
>>wrote:
>>
>>>BTW -- to get dachshunds to shuddup for awhile,

>>Somebody (I think on another newsfroup) suggested taking them
>>badger-hunting; but I don't know anybody who would eat a badger.
>>

>----------
>
>I think the idea is that a badger would probably eat the DOGS.

Ya gotta remember: if daschunds were bred to be badger hounds, they were
bred for the European badger. Our N.American badger is a pit bull
compared to those. If you were to send them after a badger, he may
really silence those noisy dogs!
Bernie
<watched a lot of Knowledge Network>

In article <[email protected]>,
The Real Bev <[email protected]> writes:

Y'know those sticky fly strips that pull out of a
container like a pastic film cannister?

Just lay one of those down on the floor, between under
the kitchen sink and the fridge (that's where those
tiny little apartment ants like to track.) Don't step
on it, though.

And if you're ever plagued with mice, stuff steel wool
around every pipe or drain that comes through a wall.

cheers,
Tom