First 10 mile ride today. 1 hour and 8 minutes

LitStyles

Aug 3, 2012
I know thats really slow but I did my best as I am out of shape and 400 pounds. My question is, what should be my goal for the next 10 miles? Should I shave just a few minutes off? Or try for a 10 minute shave or what?

I would suggest increasing your distance. Not sure what type of terrain your have but maybe add a couple of miles and see how it goes.

Originally Posted by jhuskey .

I would suggest increasing your distance. Not sure what type of terrain your have but maybe add a couple of miles and see how it goes.
Oh. Well I can try, but the 10 miles hurt quite a bit haha.

I would also recommend going for distance increase as your next marker. But when starting out an hour of exertion is nothing to sneeze at. Maybe just settle into going for an hour or so consistently (4 or more times a week) for the next few weeks. Starting from scratch you will probably notice a significant improvement in your conditioning by the end of the month just from being on the bike regularly. Once your body is used to this regular load, then think about a) going further, and b) going faster. If you are comfortable riding further, by all means go for it.

An hour of good healthy activity! According to my Doctor... that kind of exercise keeps your bodies metabolism burning more calories for hours after the exercise itself. I don't know how often you're making that ride... but my next step would be to make that a nearly daily ride. I try to take a "rest day" at least every 7 days. But I also try to work the rest days so that I rest on rainy days.

One you're riding everyday.... the only thing you can do is ride faster and/or further. I like the idea of riding further. I think more time [exercising] would be better at this point.... than would be more speed.

Here in the mid-west... fall will soon bring colder weather... and I will move my cycling to the warmer afternoons. I am concidering adding a "before breakfast" jog or brisk walk to my exercise routine (not that I count cycling as exercise... I ride the bicycle for pure pleasure). Just to get the heart pumping.

I would add - find routes that are both safe (traffic- and otherwise) and scenic/interesting; along a river or some such - I wouldn't seek out hills just yet. It's ok if you have to drive a bit to get there.

I find that a bit of adventure is a bigger motivator for me than health/fitness benefits (which it takes a while to see anyway).

I would add - find routes that are both safe (traffic- and otherwise) and scenic/interesting; along a river or some such - I wouldn't seek out hills just yet. It's ok if you have to drive a bit to get there.

I find that a bit of adventure is a bigger motivator for me than health/fitness benefits (which it takes a while to see anyway).

Damned. Good. Advice.

Go slow and build slowly, OP. You'll get fit soon and have fun the whole way into your journey to less pounds and more endurance and ability to tolerate exercise.

As stated in another thread, see your doctor and work on increasing your miles a little bit every week. As the pounds come off and you better learn fit and position on the bike you can work a bit on building speed. Concentrate on trying to stay injury-free. No crashing! No stressing your joints too much. I would build very slowly into climbing mode...short hills with not much altitude gain to start.

Just being active and wanting to be moving leads to...MORE activity. Your strength, flexibility, endurance and knowledge of cycling will all mesh and work with each other if you do it right.

You're off to a great start! Good luck.

Originally Posted by bartsie .

Sometimes i use Google Earth and Google Maps to discover new routes. It is very helpful to find where you might want to ride. I would also try to go a little farther distance, say 12.5 miles in 11/2 hours? Or a little more if you're feeling good during the ride. Good luck!/img/vbsmilies/smilies/smile.gif/img/vbsmilies/smilies/icon14.gif

If your budget can afford the purchase of a set of rollers, I'd suggest that you buy some.
The rollers will allow you to exercise on your bike without having to try to cycle up climbs/hills.
Rollers will build your cycling fitness and they will help you to lose weight - so that when you do get out on the road, climbs/hills can be tackled.

Well done cycling 10 miles btw.

I'd say "time at effort" is the most important factor. Speed and distance can be indicators of that, but in and of themselves are meaningless until you've achieved a good level of fitness.

Reactions: davereo
Originally Posted by limerickman .

If your budget can afford the purchase of a set of rollers, I'd suggest that you buy some.
The rollers will allow you to exercise on your bike without having to try to cycle up climbs/hills.
Rollers will build your cycling fitness and they will help you to lose weight - so that when you do get out on the road, climbs/hills can be tackled.

Well done cycling 10 miles btw.
Rollers? Really? That would be a terrible suggestion for an inexperienced cyclist. Trainer maybe, but not rollers

The longest journey starts with a single step- well done riding 10 miles.

August 2011 I got back on a bike for the first time in years and rode 5 miles, which was hard since I was 80lbs overweight.

This year I am up to ~6000 miles and have done 12 centuries and one double century.

So advice:

1. Don't over do it an hurt yourself- that is the quickest way to lose motivation. Cycling takes a while to get used to, particularly the contact points.
2. Keep the intensity pretty low for at least 2 weeks. After that you can start some hills or try to go faster.
3. Cycling is great exercise, but if you want to lose weight, you have to restrict calories.

Originally Posted by bobqzzi .

Rollers? Really? That would be a terrible suggestion for an inexperienced cyclist. Trainer maybe, but not rollers
Unfortunately I would agree. I've easily got 25,000+ miles in my legs, but I've lasted a grand total of 10 minutes on rollers in all the years I've ridden and raced. Personally I despise those things.

Emotion rollers and/or test ride on regular rollers aside, a stationary trainer may be a better bet for novice longevity.

Back in 2003 when I started biking to lose weight, I had to huff and puff just to hit 17 mph on my road bike. I thought 20 miles was really far. 1/2 year later I was only 12 lbs lighter due to not overeating and changing my diet, - like not splurging on cookies & milk or Ho Ho's. Then at 193 lbs I found if I did a 30 mile bike ride I would lose significant weight. So then after I did 36 mile [4 laps] or 54 mile [6 laps] bike rides at Chicago's Lake Shore Drive Bike path and eventually went down to 139 lbs. I also became faster but I don't train for racing and I don't put enough miles to be fast enough to race.

Livestrong0701 said:
Sometimes i use Google Earth and Google Maps to discover new routes. It is very helpful to find where you might want to ride. I would also try to go a little farther distance, say 12.5 miles in 11/2 hours? Or a little more if you're feeling good during the ride. Good luck!:) :thumbup:
You can also use Strava to find routes in your area that other people have done.

Originally Posted by danfoz .

Unfortunately I would agree. I've easily got 25,000+ miles in my legs, but I've lasted a grand total of 10 minutes on rollers in all the years I've ridden and raced. Personally I despise those things.

Emotion rollers and/or test ride on regular rollers aside, a stationary trainer may be a better bet for novice longevity.
Sorry I should have said trainer as in

and not rollers like I said earlier!