first 200km audax

Discussion in 'UK and Europe' started by davek, Jun 18, 2004.

  1. davek

    davek Guest

    I'll be doing my first 200km audax tomorrow. Having done an imperial century-and-a-
    bit* recently, I reckon I won't have too much trouble managing the extra
    20-25? miles but the more I think about it the more it seems like A Very
    Long Way...

    I'm aiming to get round in about ten hours but I expect it will be
    more like 12.

    Wish me luck, folks. Ta.

    d.

    *it was billed as 100 miles but my computer showed nearer 106 miles
    at the end.

  2. Simon Mason

    Simon Mason Guest

    "davek" <[email protected]> wrote in message
    news:[email protected]
    > I'll be doing my first 200km audax tomorrow. Having done an imperial

    century-and-a-
    > bit* recently, I reckon I won't have too much trouble managing the extra
    > 20-25? miles but the more I think about it the more it seems like A Very
    > Long Way...
    >
    > I'm aiming to get round in about ten hours but I expect it will be
    > more like 12.
    >
    > Wish me luck, folks. Ta.
    >
    > d.
    >
    > *it was billed as 100 miles but my computer showed nearer 106 miles
    > at the end.

    Good luck - don't forget your rain gear!

    --
    Simon Mason
    Anlaby

  3. davek wrote:
    > I'll be doing my first 200km audax tomorrow. Having done an imperial century-and-a-
    > bit* recently, I reckon I won't have too much trouble managing the extra
    > 20-25? miles but the more I think about it the more it seems like A Very
    > Long Way...
    > I'm aiming to get round in about ten hours but I expect it will be
    > more like 12.
    > Wish me luck, folks. Ta.
    > d.
    > *it was billed as 100 miles but my computer showed nearer 106 miles
    > at the end.

    All the best Dave.

    I'm sure you know all this but go at a steady pace (maybe a bit less
    than for your century) and get plenty to eat and drink.

    Which one is it ?

    Ian

    --

  4. Simonb

    Simonb Guest

    davek wrote:
    > I'll be doing my first 200km audax tomorrow. Having done an imperial
    > century-and-a- bit* recently, I reckon I won't have too much trouble
    > managing the extra 20-25? miles but the more I think about it the
    > more it seems like A Very
    > Long Way...
    >
    > I'm aiming to get round in about ten hours but I expect it will be
    > more like 12.
    >
    > Wish me luck, folks. Ta.
    >
    > d.
    >
    > *it was billed as 100 miles but my computer showed nearer 106 miles
    > at the end.

    Look at it as a series of smaller rides. Good luck.

    Is it the Canterbury one?

  5. MSeries

    MSeries Guest

    davek wrote:
    > I'll be doing my first 200km audax tomorrow. Having done an imperial
    > century-and-a- bit* recently, I reckon I won't have too much trouble
    > managing the extra 20-25? miles but the more I think about it the
    > more it seems like A Very
    > Long Way...
    >
    > I'm aiming to get round in about ten hours but I expect it will be
    > more like 12.
    >
    > Wish me luck, folks. Ta.
    >
    > d.
    >
    > *it was billed as 100 miles but my computer showed nearer 106 miles
    > at the end.

    I'm doing a looooong ride tomorrow, not an Audax but still 200km

  6. davek

    davek Guest

    Simon Mason:
    > Good luck -

    thanks

    >don't forget your rain gear!

    *grumble* what happened to summer?

    d.

  7. davek

    davek Guest

    wheelsgoround:
    > All the best Dave.

    thanks

    > Which one is it ?

    The Canterbury "Kent Corners" 202km. Heads from Canterbury west a bit in the
    direction of Maidstone then down to Rye. Then it's back across country to
    Westgate (near Margate) and finally along the coast back to Canterbury. It's
    a fairly flat route but could be interesting going across Romney Marsh
    depending which way the wind is blowing.

    d.

  8. davek

    davek Guest

    Simonb:
    > Look at it as a series of smaller rides. Good luck.

    Cheers.

    > Is it the Canterbury one?

    That's the fella. Mostly familiar roads but should be fun anyway, as long as
    the weather holds out.

    d.

  9. MartinM

    MartinM Guest

    davek <[email protected]> wrote in message news:<[email protected]>...
    > I'll be doing my first 200km audax tomorrow. Having done an imperial century-and-a-
    > bit* recently, I reckon I won't have too much trouble managing the extra
    > 20-25? miles but the more I think about it the more it seems like A Very
    > Long Way...
    >
    > I'm aiming to get round in about ten hours but I expect it will be
    > more like 12.
    >
    > Wish me luck, folks. Ta.

    Good luck, would it be the Canterbury one by any chance? never done it
    but done several 2/300's from the other direction, as long as the wind
    is not too bad you'll be fine, fairly rolling roads and usually a good
    crowd; the Invicta was my first 200, the last 40 was testing, your
    legs seem to know when you've done 100m ;-)

  10. tony R

    tony R Guest

    "davek" <[email protected]> wrote in message
    news:[email protected]
    > I'll be doing my first 200km audax tomorrow. Having done an imperial

    century-and-a-
    > bit* recently, I reckon I won't have too much trouble managing the extra
    > 20-25? miles but the more I think about it the more it seems like A Very
    > Long Way...
    >
    > I'm aiming to get round in about ten hours but I expect it will be
    > more like 12.
    >
    > Wish me luck, folks. Ta.

    Good luck. Did my first one last weekend. It's a great feeling to complete
    one - well worth the pain.

    tony R.

  11. Simon Brooke

    Simon Brooke Guest

    in message <[email protected]>, wheelsgoround
    ('[email protected]') wrote:

    > All the best Dave.

    Seconded...

    > I'm sure you know all this but go at a steady pace (maybe a bit less
    > than for your century) and get plenty to eat and drink.

    Interesting thought. When I went out to do a fifty miler earlier this
    week, I told myself stern things about going steady and eating
    regularly. I then went out and did the first eight miles at higher
    speed than I've done that distance in five years, the first twenty-five
    miles at a higher average than I've done ten in the past five years.
    Over the whole distance I did 13.1, which was better than the 12.5 I'd
    targeted. I had a bowl of cereal before I set out, and bought a pie
    after eight miles but found I couldn't eat all of it, ate a cereal bar
    at thirty miles, and... that's it. And at the end apart from sore feet
    (over-tight shoes) I felt good for another twenty.

    I appreciate that 200 kilometres is a lot more than fifty miles.

    ;; When all else fails, read the distractions.

  12. MartinM

    MartinM Guest

    "tony R" <[email protected]> wrote in message news:<[email protected]>...
    > "davek" <[email protected]> wrote in message
    > news:[email protected]
    > > I'll be doing my first 200km audax tomorrow. Having done an imperial

    > century-and-a-
    > > bit* recently, I reckon I won't have too much trouble managing the extra
    > > 20-25? miles but the more I think about it the more it seems like A Very
    > > Long Way...
    > >
    > > I'm aiming to get round in about ten hours but I expect it will be
    > > more like 12.
    > >
    > > Wish me luck, folks. Ta.

    How did you get on? looks like you had the weather. Battle and back in
    2 weeks, I'm entering the Sporting one not the Grimpeur.

  13. davek

    davek Guest

    Simon Brooke:
    > Over the whole distance I did 13.1, which was better than the 12.5 I'd
    > targeted. ... And at the end apart from sore feet
    > (over-tight shoes) I felt good for another twenty.

    Yup, I found exactly the same yesterday. I really made an effort to eat and
    drink plenty along the way, and I felt so much better at the end than I did
    at the end of the 100 miler I did a month ago - and was able to maintain a
    steady-but-decent pace the whole way.

    > I appreciate that 200 kilometres is a lot more than fifty miles.

    Only in the mind! Apply the eating-an-elephant principle and it doesn't seem
    nearly so far. Though I must say, based on yesterday's experience, I'm going
    to attempt a couple more 200s before I even begin to contemplate a 300...

    d.

  14. davek

    davek Guest

    MartinM:
    > How did you get on? looks like you had the weather.

    Absolutely fantastic! Weather held out nicely - the only difficult stretch,
    weather-wise, was towards the end where the route took us along the coast,
    head-on into the teeth of a "stiff sea breeze". Apart from that, the wind
    was not nearly as much of a factor as weather reports had led me to fear.
    And it remained sunny for most of the day - just got a few spots of rain
    later on, but nothing you could even call a shower.

    I set myself a target time of 10 hours. Set off at 8am and crossed the
    finish line at about 6.10pm, so I think I paced it pretty much perfectly.
    The route was divided into 'stages' so that made it easier to break down
    into digestible chunks, and I set target times for each stage that I
    achieved in every case - with enough time to spare to allow myself decent
    rest/food breaks. I would have arrived back even sooner except that I got
    lost a couple of times en route and ended up riding about an extra 15km! (I
    didn't realise at the time just how much extra I'd done because my computer
    records miles.)

    When I did the 100 miles a month or so ago, I was more or less finished by
    about 70 miles and it was a major struggle to get to the end. Yesterday, I
    still enough left in the tank at the end to ride the 8 1/2 miles home
    (although it was a struggle, because I had mentally 'finished' the ride
    already and it felt like my body had taken that mental signal was trying to
    shut itself down).

    There are two main differences between the rides: first, I was riding on my
    own for most of the time so was able to set my own pace - I did tag along
    with other riders at various stages but whenever it started to feel like
    they were going to fast for me I just dropped off and let them get on with
    it. The second major difference is that I paid a lot more attention to
    eating and drinking - got my water bottle filled up at every opportunity and
    even made a few extra unscheduled stops for refills, just to make sure that
    I never ran out of something to drink.

    Getting lost was a nuisance. The first time it wasn't my fault - I had got
    in with a bunch of riders and was just following them. Big mistake. Then,
    after getting me lost, the sods dropped me. Pah! I managed to find the route
    again, but then lost it again due to missing a signpost. Fortunately, I was
    quite close to a checkpoint this time and managed to find my way back
    easily - at the checkpoint I met several other people who said they had
    missed the signpost too (I suspect it was the signpost that was missing), so
    at least it wasn't only me.

    In total, yesterday, including riding to the start and finish, plus detours,
    I rode about 153 miles (246km), which is the furthest I have ever ridden in
    a single day by a huge margin. My shins are a bit sore today and my backside
    is feeling a little tender, but apart from that I feel absolutely fine -
    could quite happily go out for a 'recovery' ride later. It helps that I was
    in bed and asleep by 9pm...

    >Battle and back in
    > 2 weeks, I'm entering the Sporting one not the Grimpeur.

    Best of luck with that. It starts in Croydon, doesn't it... Hmmm... I could
    conceivably do that one myself. If the wife lets me.

    Talking of grimpeurs, I'm sure yesterday's ride should qualify for AAA
    points - a lot of it was fairly flat, there was a total of 1707m climbing
    over the course, including some pretty serious uphill bits coming out of
    Folkestone. Must look this one up in the AUK handbook.

    d.

  15. Tony Raven

    Tony Raven Guest

    davek wrote:

    > Only in the mind! Apply the eating-an-elephant principle and it doesn't seem
    > nearly so far. Though I must say, based on yesterday's experience, I'm going
    > to attempt a couple more 200s before I even begin to contemplate a 300...

    I wouldn't worry too much about more 200s first. I did a 350 from cold
    (London to York) and found life didn't get any harder past the 150km mark, in
    fact it seemed to get better later on as the goal got closer. The main
    difference is its more like eating three elephants and eating that middle
    elephant when you already know what eating one is like and knowing you've
    still go another to go when you've finished the second can be a bit daunting.

    Tony

  16. Fantastic, Dave. Well done. Sounds like you had a great day.

    When's the 300? :)

    As far as AAA points are concerned, you need a minimum of about 1400m
    climing per 100km to qualify for any points. Even then, it's up to the
    organiser whether or not the event is registered for AAA. Regardless of
    that, 1707m is still a lot of hill.

    Best of luck with the next one.

    Ian

    --

  17. On Sun, 20 Jun 2004 09:20:47 +0100, "Tony Raven"
    <[email protected]>:

    >The main difference is its more like eating three elephants

    And here's a man with the experience to back that up:
    <url:http://www.rathergood.com/elephants/>

    Guy
    http://www.chapmancentral.co.uk

  18. Tony Raven

    Tony Raven Guest

    Just zis Guy, you know? wrote:
    > On Sun, 20 Jun 2004 09:20:47 +0100, "Tony Raven"
    > <[email protected]> wrote in message
    > <[email protected]>:
    >
    >> The main difference is its more like eating three elephants

    > And here's a man with the experience to back that up:
    > <url:http://www.rathergood.com/elephants/>

    Roll up, roll up, get your elephants here, three for a tenor

    Tony

    PS Where do you find this stuff?

  19. MartinM

    MartinM Guest

> [...]

    > easily - at the checkpoint I met several other people who said they had
    > missed the signpost too (I suspect it was the signpost that was missing), so
    > at least it wasn't only me.
    >
    > In total, yesterday, including riding to the start and finish, plus detours,
    > I rode about 153 miles (246km), which is the furthest I have ever ridden in
    > a single day by a huge margin. My shins are a bit sore today and my backside
    > is feeling a little tender, but apart from that I feel absolutely fine -
    > could quite happily go out for a 'recovery' ride later. It helps that I was
    > in bed and asleep by 9pm...
    >
    > >Battle and back in
    > > 2 weeks, I'm entering the Sporting one not the Grimpeur.

    > Best of luck with that. It starts in Croydon, doesn't it... Hmmm... I could
    > conceivably do that one myself. If the wife lets me.

    Go for it, I've just printed out my form

    And Well done; sounds like you are hooked, an SR and PBP beckons ;-)