First "adult" bike

bingo296

Jul 18, 2012
I am a complete newbie to the world of cycling and bikes in general, I know next to nothing about bikes. The only thing that I know is that I would like a hybrid bike, because I might one day like to take longer rides but that would be in the future. I started stationary biking after I hurt my knee 2 years ago (almost good as new now!) and liked it. Since I don't drive, I would like a bike to have some independence. Sadly, all my savings is gone because two of my sewing machines (over 20 years old they were my grandmothers) broke and had to buy new ones. Luckily, I got a really good deal, both cost under $300 dollars when they normally cost upwards of $900 dollars (family friend who sells sewing machines)! But now I have a max budget of $200 for a bike. There are a few I like, but don't know if they are good, I would use the bike for short errands of 5 miles or less and use a bike plus public transportation for longer distances. I like the Diamondback Kalmar, Diamondback Vital 1, Genesis Terra 700cc Hybrid and the Schwinn Admiral. I have done some research through other sources and people have said that anything under $300 dollars is a waste, but it is either a bike or no roof over my head, and I like a roof over my head, lol! I prefer the last two bikes simply because they are more in my price range and like that the Genesis has 21 speeds. Can anyone tell me which is a good bike for someone like me. Oh, by the way, I have not ridden a "real" bike since I was about 10 y/o, so a simple bike would suffice for me.

Thank You for taking the time to read this!

Yes, a hybrid sounds about right for you. Nashbar has some bikes in your price range if you don't mind buying from the internet. Most importantly, make sure the bike fits you.