First-aid contents suggestions?

Status
Not open for further replies.
El Barista wrote:
> Technician wrote:
>
>
>>I actually own an airplane you know. has a whopping 5' wingspan with a .40 CC torque monster
>>engine ;-)
>>
>>but then, it crashed on it's maiden flight, and i am still trying to re- build it. it now hangs as
>>a skeleton from my ceiling collecting dust.
>
>
> If you're learning R/C, start with a pusher-prop foamie. They're cheap and they bounce.

Much better to start off with 1/10 or 1/12 scale cars: http://www.shavings.net/RC.HTM

Lets not even BEGIN to discusss hos much $$$ is in that "Ultimate Pit Box" ;-(

BOATS boats are the way to go!!!!!

Clyde, I thought that your first aid kit consisted of a little bottle of qualuudes. Course that
obliviates the need for first aid, but you better bring the gloves anyway, as no telling who you'll
be exchanging bodily fluids with...

ClydesdaleMTB wrote:

> kayak777 wrote:
>
> > I never really considered gloves essential for biking first aid,
>
> One thing I stress over and over as a Red Cros Instructor is I NEVER treat ANYBODY without donning
> a pair of (preferably non-latex) surgical gloves....... it's cheap insurance, IMO. I also wear
> them when working on my fleet of cars or bikes.. Ever read the MSDS on motor oil?-(

In article <[email protected]>, [email protected] says...
>
>
> El Barista wrote:
> > Technician wrote:
> >
> >
> >>I actually own an airplane you know. has a whopping 5' wingspan with a .40 CC torque monster
> >>engine ;-)
> >>
> >>but then, it crashed on it's maiden flight, and i am still trying to re- build it. it now hangs
> >>as a skeleton from my ceiling collecting dust.
> >
> >
> > If you're learning R/C, start with a pusher-prop foamie. They're cheap and they bounce.
>
> Much better to start off with 1/10 or 1/12 scale cars: http://www.shavings.net/RC.HTM
>
> Lets not even BEGIN to discusss hos much $$$ is in that "Ultimate Pit Box" ;-(
>
> BOATS boats are the way to go!!!!!
>
>
>

I happen to have a 3 speed + reverse mechanical speed control (missing resister pack) if you
want/need it.
--
~Travis

travis57 at megalink dot net

kayak777 wrote:
> Clyde, I thought that your first aid kit consisted of a little bottle of qualuudes.

Methaqualone is damned near impossible to get.

beer, Perc's and/or Valluim!!!!

"ClydesdaleMTB" <[email protected]> wrote in message news:[email protected]...
>
>
> kayak777 wrote:
> > Clyde, I thought that your first aid kit consisted of a little bottle of qualuudes.
>
> Methaqualone is damned near impossible to get.
>
> beer, Perc's and/or Valluim!!!!

Sooo...you've been trying??
--
Slacker

Slacker wrote:
> "ClydesdaleMTB" <[email protected]> wrote in message
> news:[email protected]...
>>kayak777 wrote:
>>>Clyde, I thought that your first aid kit consisted of a little bottle of qualuudes.
>>Methaqualone is damned near impossible to get. beer, Perc's and/or Valluim!!!!
> Sooo...you've been trying??

Not even worth trying.

On 8 May 2003 11:30:11 -0700, [email protected] (The Ogre) wrote:

>Trauma Shears to cut what? Clothing or flesh? I am thinking in terms of what sort of crash kit I
>would use, which basically means stopping the bleeding so you can get back to where a professional
>can take care of it. I don't think I would know what to do with trauma shears.

Leave the cutting of flesh to the surgeons. Trauma shears are for cutting clothing to get at wounds
if you can't remove them the normal way safely or fast enough for a serious wound.

>my hydro bag to irrigate the wound but if you have a deep cut perhaps the syringe is a good
>thought as well.

Deep or high risk of infection such as puncture wounds.

For a small kit, I'd bring enough to deal with tiny cuts (band-aids) so you don't bleed all over
your gloves and keep dirt (and infection) out. Then bring some things for more serious injuries,
such as aforementioned gause and non-stick gause, tweezers, scrub brush and tools for irrigation.
You can fit all this into a nice small case or bag.

Maybe a 2" tensor bandage and a roll of cling gauze to secure larger bandages.

Personally, my small kit goes into a small pelican case but that is more for my own safety than to
prevent damage to the kit. I carry tweezers, trauma shears and a scalpel blade in my personal module
and really don't want to worry which way they are pointing if I go over the bars. :)

Kathleen <[email protected]> wrote in message news:<[email protected]>...
> BB wrote:
> > On Wed, 7 May 2003 09:06:13 -0700, Penny S. wrote:
> >
> >
> >>most important: the knowledge to know what you are doing!!
> >
> >
> > Probably more important than anything in a kit. Having the good sense not to do things that get
> > you seriously injured might be even better.
> >
> >
> >>also: betadyne or alcohol wipes instead of a bottle of antiseptic. gloves. first aid tape for
> >>the gauze. ( covers big wounds) benedryl for allergies.
> >
> >
> > GLOVES? Am I the only one that thinks this is overkill? I've survived seven years of riding with
> > nothing more than some napkins to mop up until the bleeding stops.
>
>
> Color me paranoid, but I'm not going to swap bodily fluids of any sort with a total
> stranger. Not these days, fer god's sake. Yet I feel weirdly compelled to help when I see
> someone bleeding. Gloves are a reasonable precaution and take up next to no room in your
> kit.
>
> Kathleen

OK, you gals have convinced me. I've patched up some pretty ugly biffs in the last few years, with
lots of blood involved. We had just started using gloves in cop work and boxing when I got out.
Makes sense. Helping someone is not always worth dying for. So, do you use those super thin ones
that are used by dentists, et al, that look like condoms? Paladin

In article <[email protected]>, Technician
<[email protected]> wrote:

> In article <[email protected]>, [email protected] says...
> > Technician wrote:
> >
> > > I actually own an airplane you know. has a whopping 5' wingspan with a 0.40 CC torque monster
> > > engine ;-)
> > >
> > > but then, it crashed on it's maiden flight, and i am still trying to re- build it. it now
> > > hangs as a skeleton from my ceiling collecting dust.
> >
> > If you're learning R/C, start with a pusher-prop foamie. They're cheap and they bounce.
>
> Maybe, but this plane was recommended by my uncle as a good trainer. he has about 35 planes and
> has been flying for quite some time now.
>
> Unfortunately, he was unavailable for the maiden flight, so me and my father were there to witness
> it (he knew less about the theory of flight than i did).

I would have thought a nice, docile, .15-powered high-wing trainer would be the way to go, and
_always_ have someone experienced with you on your maiden flight. Some RTF and ARF kits would work,
though I'd personally prefer the enjoyment of building from balsa.

Van

--
Van Bagnol / v a n at wco dot com / c r l at bagnol dot com ...enjoys - Theatre / Windsurfing /
Skydiving / Mountain Biking ...feels - "Parang lumalakad ako sa loob ng paniginip" ...thinks - "An
Error is Not a Mistake ... Unless You Refuse to Correct It"

In article <[email protected]>, "El Barista"
<[email protected]> wrote:

> Technician wrote:
>
> > Hey, it flew great (once it got in the air), the pilot was the problem. besides, wood is easier
> > to fix IMO than foam.
>
> Actually foam is MUCH easier to repair. A broken wing or fuse = a few minutes with some glue and
> packing tape. Foamies are the only affordable way to do aerial combat too.

Affordable, perhaps. Competitive, no. I flew C/L combat in my younger days, and a good Monokoted
D-box-constructed balsa wing is lighter, stiffer, and faster than a foam RTF brick. My 1/2 A design
clocked 72 mph and my class A clocked 108 mph, and still turned on a dime. The
W.A.M. tropies are still in my parents' basement somewhere.

Ob mountain bike: back then I had to bicycle to the Polo fields to fly my planes, so I had to bungee
them to the handlebars. Dented the wings sometimes, but thank goodness for Monokote.

Van (WAM #582)

--
Van Bagnol / v a n at wco dot com / c r l at bagnol dot com ...enjoys - Theatre / Windsurfing /
Skydiving / Mountain Biking ...feels - "Parang lumalakad ako sa loob ng paniginip" ...thinks - "An
Error is Not a Mistake ... Unless You Refuse to Correct It"

The Ogre wrote:

>>I disagree. Bear in mind that ibuprofen is an anti-inflamm as well as a pain killer. I can see the
>>justification in taking that, for both purposes. Your list of essentials extends to mopping up
>>blood, but not all injuries are blood-related.
>
>
> I can see that... Pills are also small enough that they won't take enough space to make much
> difference. Is Ibuprofen effective enough where it will make a difference in a badly sprained
> ankle/ break?

Depends on what you define as 'effective'. Certainly in the case of a sprain / break, ibuprofen will
help reduce swelling and inflammation and will help to dull the pain. It's not exactly morphine, but
it won't make things worse.

The one situation where I really could have done with it, was a skiing incident back in the early
90's. I stacked off-piste and banged my shoulder pretty hard. As I carried on down the mountain the
pain just kept getting worse and worse. Turns out I'd knocked the muscle under the clavicle in to
spasm and it swelled so much that it dislocated the bone from the shoulder. The hospital gave me a
couple of anti-inflams and then some physio for the dislocation. Basically, if I'd popped a couple
of ibuprofen after the accident, it probably would have prevented the dislocation.

The pills are small enough that they're worth taking IMO. The benefits outweigh the costs.

--
a.m-b FAQ: http://www.t-online.de/~jharris/ambfaq.htm

b.bmx FAQ: http://www.t-online.de/~jharris/bmx_faq.htm

bomba <[email protected]> wrote in message news:[email protected]...
> The Ogre wrote:
>
> >>I disagree. Bear in mind that ibuprofen is an anti-inflamm as well as a pain killer. I can see
> >>the justification in taking that, for both purposes. Your list of essentials extends to mopping
> >>up blood, but not all injuries are blood-related.
> >
> >
> > I can see that... Pills are also small enough that they won't take enough space to make much
> > difference. Is Ibuprofen effective enough where it will make a difference in a badly sprained
> > ankle/ break?
>
> Depends on what you define as 'effective'. Certainly in the case of a sprain / break, ibuprofen
> will help reduce swelling and inflammation and will help to dull the pain. It's not exactly
> morphine, but it won't make things worse.
>
> The one situation where I really could have done with it, was a skiing incident back in the early
> 90's. I stacked off-piste and banged my shoulder pretty hard. As I carried on down the mountain
> the pain just kept getting worse and worse. Turns out I'd knocked the muscle under the clavicle in
> to spasm and it swelled so much that it dislocated the bone from the shoulder. The hospital gave
> me a couple of anti-inflams and then some physio for the dislocation. Basically, if I'd popped a
> couple of ibuprofen after the accident, it probably would have prevented the dislocation.
>
> The pills are small enough that they're worth taking IMO. The benefits outweigh the costs.

Yup - I third the NSAID;s - Ibuprofen, or if you can get it, Sodium Diclofenac (much more effective
- I carry about 10 x 50 mg Diclofenac pills in my kit). My mate Rob always carries that stuff on
climbing expeditions, in both pill and injection form, as recommended by the old hands/medics and
pro's (if you gotta get off the mountain, you gotta get off the mountain as conscious as possible,
and opiates are worse than useless for that). I think the injections may be overkill for our
purposes........

Shaun aRe

Paladin wrote:
> Kathleen <[email protected]> wrote in message news:<[email protected]>...
>
>>BB wrote:
>>
>>>On Wed, 7 May 2003 09:06:13 -0700, Penny S. wrote:
>>>
>>>
>>>
>>>>most important: the knowledge to know what you are doing!!
>>>
>>>
>>>Probably more important than anything in a kit. Having the good sense not to do things that get
>>>you seriously injured might be even better.
>>>
>>>
>>>
>>>>also: betadyne or alcohol wipes instead of a bottle of antiseptic. gloves. first aid tape for
>>>>the gauze. ( covers big wounds) benedryl for allergies.
>>>
>>>
>>>GLOVES? Am I the only one that thinks this is overkill? I've survived seven years of riding with
>>>nothing more than some napkins to mop up until the bleeding stops.
>>
>>
>> Color me paranoid, but I'm not going to swap bodily fluids of any sort with a total
>> stranger. Not these days, fer god's sake. Yet I feel weirdly compelled to help when I see
>> someone bleeding. Gloves are a reasonable precaution and take up next to no room in your
>> kit.
>>
>>Kathleen
>
>
>
> OK, you gals have convinced me. I've patched up some pretty ugly biffs in the last few years, with
> lots of blood involved. We had just started using gloves in cop work and boxing when I got out.
> Makes sense. Helping someone is not always worth dying for. So, do you use those super thin ones
> that are used by dentists, et al, that look like condoms? Paladin

Nope. Nothing fancy, extra thin, or ribbed for anybody's pleasure, just unpowdered latex. Although,
come to think of it, I guess almost any latex glove looks at least a little like a five-fingered
condom. They also make great chicken head balloons when you blow them up and tie off the wrist.

You can buy non-sterile latex gloves by the box just about anywhere - Walmart, Costco, supermarket
pharmacies. I don't especially worry about them not being sterile as long as they're clean and
intact - I keep them in a sealed ziplock bag. Trailside conditions are inherently un-sterile, and
the goal of the gloves is just to protect you while you patch them up well enough to make it to real
medical attention.

Always keep your glasses on, too, when you're working on anything messy, to protect your eyes
from splashes.

Kathleen

Paladin wrote:
> OK, you gals have convinced me.

GALS!?!?!?

> I've patched up some pretty ugly biffs in the last few years, with lots of blood involved. We had
> just started using gloves in cop work and boxing when I got out. Makes sense. Helping someone is
> not always worth dying for. So, do you use those super thin ones that are used by dentists, et al,
> that look like condoms?

Standard latex ro prefeably Nitrile exam glove. 500 to a box for < $10.00

Paladin wrote:
> Kathleen <[email protected]> wrote in message news:<[email protected]>...
>> BB wrote:
>>> On Wed, 7 May 2003 09:06:13 -0700, Penny S. wrote:
>>>
>>>
>>>> most important: the knowledge to know what you are doing!!
>>>
>>>
>>> Probably more important than anything in a kit. Having the good sense not to do things that get
>>> you seriously injured might be even better.
>>>
>>>
>>>> also: betadyne or alcohol wipes instead of a bottle of antiseptic. gloves. first aid tape for
>>>> the gauze. ( covers big wounds) benedryl for allergies.
>>>
>>>
>>> GLOVES? Am I the only one that thinks this is overkill? I've survived seven years of riding with
>>> nothing more than some napkins to mop up until the bleeding stops.
>>
>>
>> Color me paranoid, but I'm not going to swap bodily fluids of any sort with a total stranger. Not
>> these days, fer god's sake. Yet I feel weirdly compelled to help when I see someone bleeding.
>> Gloves are a reasonable precaution and take up next to no room in your kit.
>>
>> Kathleen
>
>
> OK, you gals have convinced me. I've patched up some pretty ugly biffs in the last few years, with
> lots of blood involved. We had just started using gloves in cop work and boxing when I got out.
> Makes sense. Helping someone is not always worth dying for. So, do you use those super thin ones
> that are used by dentists, et al, that look like condoms? Paladin

It's not just aids you have to worry about. Hepatitis B is the big threat.

Penny

Just for grins, here's what's in my crash kit that I keep in a sandwich size zip lock in the bottom
of my camelback: (rustleing noises as I dump it out)

tweezers tape gloves steril gauze packets in a few sizes unsterile gauze advil ( sample packets)
various size bandaids. alcohol and betadyne wipes in packets

that's it for a day ride.

Penny

"Shaun Rimmer" <[email protected]> wrote in message
> bomba <[email protected]> wrote in message
> > The Ogre wrote:
> >
> > >>I disagree. Bear in mind that ibuprofen is an anti-inflamm as well as a pain killer. I can see
> > >>the justification in taking that, for both purposes. Your list of essentials extends to
> > >>mopping up blood, but not all injuries are blood-related.
> > >
> > >
> > > I can see that... Pills are also small enough that they won't take enough space to make much
> > > difference. Is Ibuprofen effective enough where it will make a difference in a badly sprained
> > > ankle/ break?
> >
> > Depends on what you define as 'effective'. Certainly in the case of a sprain / break, ibuprofen
> > will help reduce swelling and inflammation and will help to dull the pain. It's not exactly
> > morphine, but it won't make things worse.
> >
> > The one situation where I really could have done with it, was a skiing incident back in the
> > early 90's. I stacked off-piste and banged my shoulder pretty hard. As I carried on down the
> > mountain the pain just kept getting worse and worse. Turns out I'd knocked the muscle under the
> > clavicle in to spasm and it swelled so much that it dislocated the bone from the shoulder. The
> > hospital gave me a couple of anti-inflams and then some physio for the dislocation. Basically,
> > if I'd popped a couple of ibuprofen after the accident, it probably would have prevented the
> > dislocation.
> >
> > The pills are small enough that they're worth taking IMO. The benefits outweigh the costs.
>
> Yup - I third the NSAID;s - Ibuprofen, or if you can get it, Sodium Diclofenac (much more
> effective - I carry about 10 x 50 mg Diclofenac pills in my kit). My mate Rob always carries that
> stuff on climbing expeditions, in both pill and injection form, as recommended by the old
> hands/medics and pro's (if you gotta get off the mountain, you gotta get off the mountain as
> conscious as possible, and opiates are worse than useless for that). I think the injections may be
> overkill for our purposes........
>
Sodium Diclofenac... Perscription only I take it?

In article <[email protected]>, [email protected] says...
>
> Just for grins, here's what's in my crash kit that I keep in a sandwich size zip lock in the
> bottom of my camelback: (rustleing noises as I dump it out)
>
> tweezers tape gloves steril gauze packets in a few sizes unsterile gauze advil ( sample packets)
> various size bandaids. alcohol and betadyne wipes in packets
>
> that's it for a day ride.
>
> Penny
>
>
>

Hmm, tweezers, good idea.
--
~Travis

travis57 at megalink dot net

In <[email protected]> Penny S. wrote:
> Paladin wrote:
>> Kathleen <[email protected]> wrote in message news:<[email protected]>...
>>> BB wrote:
>>>> On Wed, 7 May 2003 09:06:13 -0700, Penny S. wrote:
>>>>
>>>>
>>>>> most important: the knowledge to know what you are doing!!
>>>>
>>>>
>>>> Probably more important than anything in a kit. Having the good sense not to do things that get
>>>> you seriously injured might be even better.
>>>>
>>>>
>>>>> also: betadyne or alcohol wipes instead of a bottle of antiseptic. gloves. first aid tape for
>>>>> the gauze. ( covers big wounds) benedryl for allergies.
>>>>
>>>>
>>>> GLOVES? Am I the only one that thinks this is overkill? I've survived seven years of riding
>>>> with nothing more than some napkins to mop up until the bleeding stops.
>>>
>>>
>>> Color me paranoid, but I'm not going to swap bodily fluids of any sort with a total stranger.
>>> Not these days, fer god's sake. Yet I feel weirdly compelled to help when I see someone
>>> bleeding. Gloves are a reasonable precaution and take up next to no room in your kit.
>>>
>>> Kathleen
>>
>>
>> OK, you gals have convinced me. I've patched up some pretty ugly biffs in the last few years,
>> with lots of blood involved. We had just started using gloves in cop work and boxing when I got
>> out. Makes sense. Helping someone is not always worth dying for. So, do you use those super thin
>> ones that are used by dentists, et al, that look like condoms? Paladin
>
> It's not just aids you have to worry about. Hepatitis B is the big threat.
>
> Penny

Get vinyl gloves. Latex ones break down over time. A year from now you'll pull them on and have
fingerless gloves and little rubber hats on all your fingers.

Cheers, Shawn

In <[email protected]> ClydesdaleMTB wrote:
>
>
> Paladin wrote:
>> OK, you gals have convinced me.
>
> GALS!?!?!?
>
>
>
>> I've patched up some pretty ugly biffs in the last few years, with lots of blood involved. We had
>> just started using gloves in cop work and boxing when I got out. Makes sense. Helping someone is
>> not always worth dying for. So, do you use those super thin ones that are used by dentists, et
>> al, that look like condoms?
>
> Standard latex ro prefeably Nitrile exam glove. 500 to a box for < $10.00

Nitrile! Damn I was trying to remember that. They're by far the best. If you need to clean up toxic
organic chemicals trailside they're much better protection than latex or vinyl ;-) Otherwise (as I
said in another post) stick to vinyl so it won't rot in your pack.

Cheers, Shawn

Status
Not open for further replies.