first aid training

luis correia

Aug 10, 2003
I´m looking for informations about the level of first aid training in cycling clubs around the world, I´m trying to create the awareness about the need of correct first aid care and if we think about people riding in small groups, sometimes miles away from rescue centers or hospitals.
Thank´s in advance

Originally posted by luis correia
I´m looking for informations about the level of first aid training in cycling clubs around the world, I´m trying to create the awareness about the need of correct first aid care and if we think about people riding in small groups, sometimes miles away from rescue centers or hospitals.
Thank´s in advance

I'm afraid there's usually at least one doctor on our rides.

Originally posted by luis correia
Thank´s in advance

I don't belong to a cycling group, but in the pat have been in volved with hiking groups, and have worked a number of jobs in the out-of-doors. I think it is a duty to be prepared when going on any such outing, and that you should take that responsibility for yourself by obtaining the correct training, in my case Wilderness First Responder and CPR. But in any case, if trained personelle aren't on hand for a ride or activity, and if a leader is responsible for others in the activity, then they should at the least have a plan made up for the ride that details locations of facilities, emergency numbers and contacts, and what to do in the case of an emergenct if far from help. Also make sure to let someone at home know where and when you are gone.

i'm with a bike group that holds an annual training that covers, among others, bike first aid. aside from the the common injuries like scrapes and cuts and bruises, attention is given to dealing with concerns like biker's back and other muscular discomforts. franklen's definitely right about being responsible to yourself when riding, therefore an awareness in dealing with a "situation" is a must.