First Audax of the year under my belt.

Discussion in 'UK and Europe' started by vernon, Feb 18, 2006.

  1. vernon

    vernon Guest

    I'd been hoping to get a flatish Audax in first but the one I wanted was
    oversubscribed leaving me with the mini NorthWest Passage 120km organised by
    the West Pennine RC for my first one of the year.. The faster and fitter
    riders had set off at 08:00 for the 200km NW Passage leaving me with a bunch
    of greyhounds with lesser endurance. The omens were not good. I was
    dropped within seconds - they were taking no prisoners and true to past form
    I found myself riding alone for the first 35 miles until I caught up with a
    rider who's had two punctures. At the last check point I was joined by the
    chap plagued by the puncture fairy and another rider. We rode together for
    most of the remaining 30+ miles.
    The ride itself took me into unchartered riding territory - Todmorden,
    Nelson, Trough of Bowland and back to Rochdale. Great scenery in places but
    the climbs were unrelenting, not too severe just long and draining. The last
    10 miles of the ride saw the fastest 200km riders catch me and within the
    last three miles a chap on a fixie swept past and disappeared.
    I was the last one back from the mini NW but still had hours in hand. Loved
    the free pie and peas dished out at the pub used as the control centre.
    I'll have to be a lot fitter to contemplate the NW200. I managed an average
    of 11mph (17.5km/hr) if just saddle time was measured Taking the cake stop
    and few pauses on the longer hills into account I'd not make the cut for the
    15km/hr minimum pace of a normal Audax but I'm satisfied with my first major
    ride of the year.
    Now to lose some lard for next years NW200 ;-)

    Vernon
    back in Leeds

    Tags:

  2. MSeries

    MSeries Guest

    vernon wrote:
    > I'd been hoping to get a flatish Audax in first but the one I wanted was
    > oversubscribed leaving me with the mini NorthWest Passage 120km organised by
    > the West Pennine RC for my first one of the year.. The faster and fitter
    > riders had set off at 08:00 for the 200km NW Passage leaving me with a bunch
    > of greyhounds with lesser endurance. The omens were not good. I was
    > dropped within seconds - they were taking no prisoners and true to past form
    > I found myself riding alone for the first 35 miles until I caught up with a
    > rider who's had two punctures. At the last check point I was joined by the
    > chap plagued by the puncture fairy and another rider. We rode together for
    > most of the remaining 30+ miles.
    > The ride itself took me into unchartered riding territory - Todmorden,
    > Nelson, Trough of Bowland and back to Rochdale. Great scenery in places but
    > the climbs were unrelenting, not too severe just long and draining. The last
    > 10 miles of the ride saw the fastest 200km riders catch me and within the
    > last three miles a chap on a fixie swept past and disappeared.
    > I was the last one back from the mini NW but still had hours in hand. Loved
    > the free pie and peas dished out at the pub used as the control centre.
    > I'll have to be a lot fitter to contemplate the NW200. I managed an average
    > of 11mph (17.5km/hr) if just saddle time was measured Taking the cake stop
    > and few pauses on the longer hills into account I'd not make the cut for the
    > 15km/hr minimum pace of a normal Audax but I'm satisfied with my first major
    > ride of the year.
    > Now to lose some lard for next years NW200 ;-)
    >
    > Vernon
    > back in Leeds

    Well done Vernon. I did the 200km NW Passage, finished in 10.25 hours.
    The hilly bits were great but I didn't care much for the long main road
    drags, The Trough of Bowland would have been preferred to riding up the
    A65 and down the A6. Great weather, mediocre route sheet, the pie was
    welcomed. Don't know if I'll do this one again.

  3. vernon

    vernon Guest

    "MSeries" <[email protected]> wrote in message
    news:[email protected]

    > Well done Vernon. I did the 200km NW Passage, finished in 10.25 hours.
    > The hilly bits were great but I didn't care much for the long main road
    > drags, The Trough of Bowland would have been preferred to riding up the
    > A65 and down the A6. Great weather, mediocre route sheet, the pie was
    > welcomed. Don't know if I'll do this one again.

    The hilly bits were great in that they offered great views from the summits
    :)

    The route sheet was OK-ish though I was very grateful for the rider with
    local knowledge who was a fellow 'tail end charlie' as I'm convinced I'd
    have taken several wrong turnings if left to my own devices. The organisers
    were a friendly bunch and I was made to feel very welcome. I do seem to be
    getting on with hills a lot better than last year. I'm marginally faster
    and I'm really glad that I did a Holme Moss/ Woodhead pass the other
    weekend. The climbs' lengths rather than hieghts were good preparation for
    the long drags on the mini NW Passage. In hilly terain it's my head rather
    than my legs that give up.

  4. Tony B

    Tony B Guest

    Nice one, I had a bash at the 200 along with MSeries and Leo but my legs
    just wouldn't do it for some reason, I ended up getting back after a
    long 11hrs 45min which is my longest 200 yet. It was really odd, I felt
    OK but just couldn't get going porperly - I even stopped at one point to
    see if the wheel bearings/BB were OK as it seemed impossibly hard to
    pedal. Never had that before... long climbs were OK, if dog slow but I
    got round and on the whole enjoyed it. The Lune valley was great, the
    A65 was awful, plus being back so late meant I had the pleasure of
    various yobs in cars or on foot (and well pissed) for the last few
    miles. Charming...

    Still, another one done. Must get some more hill work in though.

    bfn,

    Tony B

  5. Simon Brooke

    Simon Brooke Guest

    in message <[email protected]>, Tony B
    ('[email protected]') wrote:

    > It was really odd, I felt
    > OK but just couldn't get going porperly - I even stopped at one point
    > to see if the wheel bearings/BB were OK as it seemed impossibly hard to
    > pedal. Never had that before... long climbs were OK, if dog slow but I
    > got round and on the whole enjoyed it.

    Yup, I've got this problem at present. I'm OK, I can ride, but I'm really
    not fast. I put it down to lack of chest exercise - I've just got out of
    the habit of pumping enough oxygen to my muscles, so that while I can
    bowl along at a reasonable pace on the flat I'm dreadfully slow on
    hills.

    Had a great ride this morning, out with the club on mountain bikes doing
    mostly lanes and tracks, but at the end I just wasn't keeping up so I
    made my excuses and took a short-cut home. Beautiful morning - bright
    and clear with wonderful views, and masses of snowdrops everywhere.

    A message from our sponsor: This site is now in free fall

  6. vernon wrote:

    > I'd been hoping to get a flatish Audax in first but the one I wanted was
    > oversubscribed leaving me with the mini NorthWest Passage 120km organised by
    > the West Pennine RC for my first one of the year.. The faster and fitter
    > riders had set off at 08:00 for the 200km NW Passage leaving me with a bunch
    > of greyhounds with lesser endurance. The omens were not good. I was
    > dropped within seconds - they were taking no prisoners and true to past form
    > I found myself riding alone for the first 35 miles until I caught up with a
    > rider who's had two punctures. At the last check point I was joined by the
    > chap plagued by the puncture fairy and another rider. We rode together for
    > most of the remaining 30+ miles.
    > The ride itself took me into unchartered riding territory - Todmorden,
    > Nelson, Trough of Bowland and back to Rochdale. Great scenery in places but
    > the climbs were unrelenting, not too severe just long and draining. The last
    > 10 miles of the ride saw the fastest 200km riders catch me and within the
    > last three miles a chap on a fixie swept past and disappeared.
    > I was the last one back from the mini NW but still had hours in hand. Loved
    > the free pie and peas dished out at the pub used as the control centre.
    > I'll have to be a lot fitter to contemplate the NW200. I managed an average
    > of 11mph (17.5km/hr) if just saddle time was measured Taking the cake stop
    > and few pauses on the longer hills into account I'd not make the cut for the
    > 15km/hr minimum pace of a normal Audax but I'm satisfied with my first major
    > ride of the year.
    > Now to lose some lard for next years NW200 ;-)

    Well, it was my second ride *of the year* yesterday - weather, family
    commitments and illness having prevented any other outings. As a result
    I can make the following definitive statements:

    1) Being aerobically fit does not make you a cyclist. You need the leg
    muscles.

    2) Running instead of cycling all winter allows said leg muscles to
    atrophy. I currently have the cycling power output of a 60-a-day granny.

    I fell a horrible month of turbo work coming on.

  7. Arthur Clune

    Arthur Clune Guest

    Simon Brooke wrote:

    > Yup, I've got this problem at present. I'm OK, I can ride, but I'm really
    > not fast. I put it down to lack of chest exercise - I've just got out of

    We all feel this after even a month off, and you've had rather more.

    The good news s that regaining fitness is rather easier than getting
    it in the first place ;)wq

    --
    Arthur Clune

  8. MSeries

    MSeries Guest

    Tony B wrote:
    > Nice one, I had a bash at the 200 along with MSeries and Leo but my legs
    > just wouldn't do it for some reason, I ended up getting back after a
    > long 11hrs 45min which is my longest 200 yet. It was really odd, I felt
    > OK but just couldn't get going porperly - I even stopped at one point to
    > see if the wheel bearings/BB were OK as it seemed impossibly hard to
    > pedal. Never had that before... long climbs were OK, if dog slow but I
    > got round and on the whole enjoyed it. The Lune valley was great, the
    > A65 was awful, plus being back so late meant I had the pleasure of
    > various yobs in cars or on foot (and well pissed) for the last few
    > miles. Charming...
    >
    > Still, another one done. Must get some more hill work in though.
    >
    > bfn,
    >
    > Tony B

    there were yobs around at 17:45 - 18:15 too when we passed through Rochdale

  9. > 1) Being aerobically fit does not make you a cyclist. You need the
    > leg muscles.
    >
    > 2) Running instead of cycling all winter allows said leg muscles to
    > atrophy. I currently have the cycling power output of a 60-a-day
    > granny.

    I've got kind of the same thing in reverse. Legs aching to bits after
    walk yesterday. Started aching just over half way in. Pathetic, and
    slightly scary.

    Mind, I had been thinking that I do less walking than most couch potatoes -
    I tend to cycle instead of walk and the bike is in the hallway. The
    potatoes have a trip to the garage.

    On the bright side I can whack off an Imperial century without any twinges
    or aches, just need to get the speed up - trundly isn't an understatement
    :-(

  10. David Martin

    David Martin Guest

    Mark Thompson wrote:
    > > 1) Being aerobically fit does not make you a cyclist. You need the
    > > leg muscles.
    > >
    > > 2) Running instead of cycling all winter allows said leg muscles to
    > > atrophy. I currently have the cycling power output of a 60-a-day
    > > granny.

    > I've got kind of the same thing in reverse. Legs aching to bits after
    > walk yesterday. Started aching just over half way in. Pathetic, and
    > slightly scary.

    Same here. Creaking like crazy. Unfortunately I don't think I could
    knock off a century just yet, especially not round here (be different
    if it were flat).

    ...d

  11. dkahn400

    dkahn400 Guest

    Mark Thompson wrote:

    > Mind, I had been thinking that I do less walking than most couch potatoes -
    > I tend to cycle instead of walk and the bike is in the hallway. The
    > potatoes have a trip to the garage.

    I blame the invention of the remote control. In the old days you had to
    walk 6' to the telly, change the channel and walk 6' back.

    --
    Dave...

  12. dkahn400

    dkahn400 Guest

    vernon wrote:

    > I'll have to be a lot fitter to contemplate the NW200. I managed an average
    > of 11mph (17.5km/hr) if just saddle time was measured Taking the cake stop
    > and few pauses on the longer hills into account I'd not make the cut for the
    > 15km/hr minimum pace of a normal Audax but I'm satisfied with my first major
    > ride of the year.

    Well done, Vernon. It doesn't sound as if you're too far off
    contemplating a hilly 200. I'm sure you'd get round now, but you'd have
    very little margin for rest stops and mechanical problems.

    > Now to lose some lard for next years NW200 ;-)

    I'm afraid that's the key really. As a heavy bloke you're always going
    to struggle in the hills. If you made the mountain goats carry a 56lb
    weight each they'd find it tough going too. Considering the weight
    you're carrying I think your progress has been extremely impressive.

    --
    Dave...

  13. Roos Eisma

    Roos Eisma Guest

    "dkahn400" <[email protected]> writes:

    >I blame the invention of the remote control. In the old days you had to
    >walk 6' to the telly, change the channel and walk 6' back.

    I used to sit close enough to push the buttons with my toes...

    Roos

  14. Clive George

    Clive George Guest

  15. Peter Clinch

    Peter Clinch Guest

    Roos Eisma, Zapperkoningin, wrote:
    > "dkahn400" <[email protected]> writes:

    >>I blame the invention of the remote control. In the old days you had to
    >>walk 6' to the telly, change the channel and walk 6' back.

    > I used to sit close enough to push the buttons with my toes...

    Sprained my ankle pretty badly playing rugby as a teenager which made
    walking to the set awkward. Found that a 2m billiard queue made a
    pretty good zappe, being slightly longer and less awkward than one of my
    crutches.

    Pete.
    --
    Peter Clinch Medical Physics IT Officer
    Fax 44 1382 640177 Dundee DD1 9SY Scotland UK

  16. vernon levy

    vernon levy Guest

    "dkahn400" <[email protected]> wrote in message
    news:[email protected]
    > vernon wrote:
    >
    > Well done, Vernon. It doesn't sound as if you're too far off
    > contemplating a hilly 200. I'm sure you'd get round now, but you'd have
    > very little margin for rest stops and mechanical problems.

    Although I found the last 15 -20 km hard going, overall I enjoyed the ride.
    I intend to ride a lot more Audaxes this year and aim to ride around three
    per month. I have booked my first 200 for the back end of April with some
    Eastern Peaks and Mesh permanents to fill the gaps between local-ish
    calendared rides. I suspect that the hardest ride that I do this year will
    be the Hartside 200 though I will find it easier than I am accustomed to as
    I normally have a full complement of camping gear with me when I ride in
    that territory.

    >> Now to lose some lard for next years NW200 ;-)

    > I'm afraid that's the key really. As a heavy bloke you're always going
    > to struggle in the hills. If you made the mountain goats carry a 56lb
    > weight each they'd find it tough going too. Considering the weight
    > you're carrying I think your progress has been extremely impressive.

    My aim for this year is to qualify for Brevet 500 and 1000 awards before
    August when I set of on a JOGLE ride when I hope to be at least two stones
    lighter.....

    My next Audax is this weekend, an Eastern Peaks permanent 100.

  17. David Martin

    David Martin Guest

    Roos Eisma wrote:
    > "dkahn400" <[email protected]> writes:
    >
    > >I blame the invention of the remote control. In the old days you had to
    > >walk 6' to the telly, change the channel and walk 6' back.

    > I used to sit close enough to push the buttons with my toes...

    Knowing Roos, that is not very close. I am long sighted so couldn't
    really sit close enough to change channels with my toes and view
    comfortably. Not that we had a telly anyway. Had a lot of books to read
    and ideas to get instead.

    ...d

  18. Peter Clinch

    Peter Clinch Guest

    David Martin wrote:

    > Not that we had a telly anyway. Had a lot of books to read
    > and ideas to get instead.

    <call the Python Police>

    You 'ad books?! We used to *dream* of 'aving books! We got our
    entertainment by (cont. http://page94.com)

    </call the Python Police>

    Pete.
    --
    Peter Clinch Medical Physics IT Officer
    Fax 44 1382 640177 Dundee DD1 9SY Scotland UK

  19. Arthur Clune

    Arthur Clune Guest

    vernon levy wrote:

    > My aim for this year is to qualify for Brevet 500 and 1000 awards before
    > August when I set of on a JOGLE ride when I hope to be at least two stones
    > lighter.....

    Come and ride my club's Tan Hill Audax in August. It's a top ride, 220km I
    think. The middle 100km has serious hill in it, but since it starts from near
    York the start and finish bits are pancake

    Arthur

    --
    Arthur Clune

  20. MSeries

    MSeries Guest

    Clive George wrote:
    > "Tony B" <[email protected]> wrote in message
    > news:[email protected]
    > > the A65 was awful

    > Which bits were you doing?
    >
    > cheers,